Chronicle: £7m bid made for defender (as yet unnamed)

Guest hindu times

Just hope if gets the players in soon wonder which players he hasnt been able to finalise this week are.

It shows he obviously has targets dont know if he meant the players have rejected him or not??

I think he means too many of them lining up next to each other in defence though. They would have to get used to the premiership and each other at the same time, whereas EPL experienced players would only need to get used to each other.

Yep, we said he wants 4 more defenders so if thats a left back, a right back and 2 centre backs we could end up starting the season with 4 new players in defence, all from different leagues and possibly very limited English.

"We've not been able to bring in anyone for a medical" - what an odd thing to say.

Initial talks don't get past that very stage for whatever reason?

--

From the Journal, mostly same comments but the feeling that if something doesn't happen in a few days he'll turn to Europe from necessity.

He said: ?Unfortunately everything this week has progressed to a certain level and has then fallen on stony ground.

?We?ve not been able to bring anyone in for a medical and it?s been an incredibly frustrating two weeks in terms of bringing players in.

?There are few defenders with Premiership experience around and that?s our main priority at the moment. I like going into the foreign market but having too many new players from abroad could cause us severe problems in the early part of the season.

?They take a little bit of time getting used to the Premiership and having too many of them together at the same time would not be the done thing.

?If that?s the only option, I?ll have to take it sooner rather than later, but we are trying to bring players in with Premiership experience and we are having to wait to get the right one.?

I find this foreign def thing a bit of a myth. If they are good enough they can play anywhere as long as they are physically not at a disadvantage.

"We've not been able to bring in anyone for a medical" - what an odd thing to say.

--

From the Journal, mostly same comments but the feeling that if something doesn't happen in a few days he'll turn to Europe from necessity.

He said: ?Unfortunately everything this week has progressed to a certain level and has then fallen on stony ground.

?We?ve not been able to bring anyone in for a medical and it?s been an incredibly frustrating two weeks in terms of bringing players in.

?There are few defenders with Premiership experience around and that?s our main priority at the moment. I like going into the foreign market but having too many new players from abroad could cause us severe problems in the early part of the season.

?They take a little bit of time getting used to the Premiership and having too many of them together at the same time would not be the done thing.

?If that?s the only option, I?ll have to take it sooner rather than later, but we are trying to bring players in with Premiership experience and we are having to wait to get the right one.?

I find this foreign def thing a bit of a myth. If they are good enough they can play anywhere as long as they are physically not at a disadvantage.

aye,that's being foreign. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

This is true if you're talking about bringing one foreigner into an established back four. But to potentially have three of our back four just getting to know each other's name a few days before Bolton, Villa, or whenever, could be a mess and wouldn't give any of them a fair start in what is a tough environment.

I do think we don't really have a choice though - if we haven't signed a Premier League defender in the next week we will have to buy our defenders from Europe, we simply don't have the time to mess about and it's good to see Sam at least acknowledges this. We can only hope the board have listened to him.

--

aye,that's being foreign. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

As long as we don't bring in a raft of Morrocans, Tunisians and jinky little Mexicans....[Alan Hansen/]

Have to commend Sam for at least letting us know what the score is. He is making a lot of sense and it as at least a bit more relaxing to see what his thought process is. Rather than the "we are very close" routine from Roeder last summer when we ended up with nothing.

There has been a lot of talk from Curtis Davies pleading with West Brom to release him for a more resonable fee. He is a prem experienced defender with a good physical presence at 6 foot 2 with pace as well and we know he worked closely with Pearson while at West Brom. I wonder if he is one of the centre backs we are after or whether he is too inexperienced for Sam.

I think his latest comments have been a bit  "Look we have made our offer but we aren't going to f*ck about any longer, make up your mind or we are more than happy to look elsewhere".

At the moment Curtis is looking more and more appealing, he isn't the experienced player I still think we need but he is a very good defender and at least has some experience as a captain.

I think his latest comments have been a bit  "Look we have made our offer but we aren't going to f*ck about any longer, make up your mind or we are more than happy to look elsewhere".

At the moment Curtis is looking more and more appealing, he isn't the experienced player I still think we need but he is a very good defender and at least has some experience as a captain.

I'd happily take him for £7m, in the future i think him and Taylor will be excellent together. Of course we want players for now, and we will suffer a bit compared to brining in some experience, but it looks like we might have to go abroad for that, then there is the issue of adapting to another Country. Davies at that price would be good business, i just hope we step up for two left backs to join him at the very least.

I do think Curtis is a good prospect but i think we need a more experienced defender also a defender who will help some of the young defenders likes Taylor progress,  I wouldnt mind us getting getting Curtis as long as we got some like Campbell in as well.

I do think Curtis is a good prospect but i think we need a more experienced defender also a defender who will help some of the young defenders likes Taylor progress,  I wouldnt mind us getting getting Curtis as long as we got some like Campbell in as well.

That would be perfect (for the centre of defence anyway).

Guest LucasUnger

i would get 1 or 2 defenders who can play a few positions in the back 4. like heinze lb and cb. or yobo.

Having thought about this I honestly thin we will end up with Curtis Davies, Sammi Hyypia and a left-back from abroad.

I think the £7 million bid currently on the table might very well be for Curtis Davies.  They have been demanding around £10  million but I cannot imagine anyone is looking to pay that. The top four teams have all got their centre back positions sorted out and Tottenham have invested heavily in Kaboul so we shouldn't have too much competition for him.

Davies has been very outspoken this week with both himself and his agent asking for West Brom to drop their asking price. He has also given up his captaincy this week also.

Guest Guinness

Bernard Mendy being linked with a £2m move to Celtic. I'd take him for that price.

Yep me too, I remember him impressing for Bolton and for £2m would definately be worth a punt.

Having thought about this I honestly thin we will end up with Curtis Davies, Sammi Hyypia and a left-back from abroad.

I think the £7 million bid currently on the table might very well be for Curtis Davies.  They have been demanding around £10  million but I cannot imagine anyone is looking to pay that. The top four teams have all got their centre back positions sorted out and Tottenham have invested heavily in Kaboul so we shouldn't have too much competition for him.

Davies has been very outspoken this week with both himself and his agent asking for West Brom to drop their asking price. He has also given up his captaincy this week also.

If we do sign Curtis I am deleting my account, moving house, changing ISP and will register under a completely different name :D

If we do sign Curis I am deleting my account, moving house, changing ISP and will register under a completely different name :D

What again?

If we do sign Curis I am deleting my account, moving house, changing ISP and will register under a completely different name :D

What again?

Last time was for grooming, this is a bit different.

What again?

Last time was for grooming, this is a bit different.

:laugh: