Zheng Zhi claims NUFC interest

Rich

Zheng reveals English suitors

By Edwin Chong -  Created on 23 Jul 2007

Chinese international Zheng Zhi has revealed Premiership outfits Newcastle and Birmingham City are interested in his services.

The Shandong Luneng star enjoyed a successful loan spell with Charlton Athletic last season and is keen for a move back to England.

Speaking to reporters in Kuala Lumpur last week, the 26 year-old named Newcastle and Birmingham as the two clubs which were ready to offer him a new loan deal.

"At present, two English teams are keen on signing me. They are Newcastle United and Birmingham City," he said.

"Newcastle are a big club, so it is exciting if I could play for them."

Carson Yeung, the Hong Kong businessman who recently became Birmingham's biggest shareholder, is believed to be pushing for a deal to bring the Chinese international to St Andrews.

Have to say he looked extremely bright for Charlton at the back end of last season, but... really?

Business wise would mean a lot of fan interest from China.

Football wise would be additional depth for the team which is never a bad thing. Would not play a major part unless he really came in and impressed a lot. No harm in it.

What was his position again? attacking midfield/striker right?

Guest LucaAltieri

As a loanee... sure. I thought he was class for Charlton. Showed for a brief spell he could cut it in the premiership even with a crap side.

Loan initially then bring him in properly if the fee isn't astronomical.

Oliver links us with another Asian striker in his article today. Says we are not interested in Zheng Zhi but another Asian striker.

Nakamura?

He's not a striker.

All the more reason why he's likely to be the player Oliver is talking about. He can play as a second striker too.

:razz:

Oliver links us with another Asian striker in his article today. Says we are not interested in Zheng Zhi but another Asian striker.

Nakamura?

He's not a striker.

All the more reason why he's likely to be the player Oliver is talking about. He can play as a second striker too.

:razz:

Foward then ;)

If we were to sign him, it would be for nothing more than for marketing reasons, which isn't particularly a bad thing.

Didn't Arsenal sell rights to their reserve games to Japanese TV for millions of quid just because Inamoto would be playing?

He can play pretty much anywhere on the pitch, so he'd be ideal for cover. Not a bad signing on the cheap.

As for Asian strikers, I think I can categorically say that none of them at the moment are anywhere near good enough for us. Maybe Hashemian?

He can play pretty much anywhere on the pitch, so he'd be ideal for cover. Not a bad signing on the cheap.

As for Asian strikers, I think I can categorically say that none of them at the moment are anywhere near good enough for us. Maybe Hashemian?

I'm half iranian and so I'd love us to get Hashemian but if I'm being honest he's not really good enough for us. Although I suppose he could do a job as a back-up striker, he's fantastic in the air.

Guest Geordie Boyo

I'm a geordie and so I'd love for geordie boy lee clark to play for us again, but if I'm being honest, he's fooking shite!

Zheng Zhi had a couple of good game for Charlton but he also had a few stinkers including one at Goodison where he made one of the most pathetic attempts at goal I've seen from about 3 yards out with the net gaping.

Guest fraser

Cheers!

All your talk of pathetic goal attempts at Everton has caused me to relive that (gulp) Martins moment of magic.