Right-back? (For the sake of a new thread!)

KaKa

Please don't delete this thread you evil MODs this is a worthy point of discussion okay?!

Anyway, so Mr. Dyer is on his way. If he had stayed I believe he would have most likely been used as an attacking right-back in the 4-3-3 which it seems Sam will be sticking to. It looks like with everyone fit we will play three genuine strikers up top in Martins, Viduka and Owen; and so as Martins and Owen are not really attacking wide players in the mould of Robben and Joe Cole, we will need our width and crosses to come from the full-backs. They will therefore have to be fit and attack minded. I believe this is what excited Sam when he saw N'Zogbia play there, his energy, stamina and direct attacking style.

So with Dyer seemingly gone and therefore not having a chance to fill the attacking right-back role, who do we bring in to replace him and fill this position? Assuming that Carr will serve as backup and that Geremi's physical presence is utilised in our midfield.

With Allardyce preferring to start the season with players who have premiership experience, I would suggest Chelsea's Glenn Johnson who I believe would thrive under Sam's disciplined approach and a first team place. Chelsea appear to be going after a right-back stil (Chimbonda/Alves) and so it doesn't look like Glenn Johnson will be getting a lot of games, so I think we should get him in if we can.

What say thee? Better than Luke Young surely?

p.s.

I would like to dedicato this thread to Verlaine who I understand is a big fan of mine. Couldn't have done it without you buddy cheers  :thup:

Please don't delete this thread you evil MODs this is a worthy point of discussion okay?!

Anyway, so Mr. Dyer is on his way. If he had stayed I believe he would have most likely been used as an attacking right-back in the 4-3-3 which it seems Sam will be sticking to. It looks like with everyone fit we will play three genuine strikers up top in Martins, Viduka and Owen; and so as Martins and Owen are not really attacking wide players in the mould of Robben and Joe Cole, we will need our width and crosses to come from the full-backs. They will therefore have to be fit and attack minded. I believe this is what excited Sam when he saw N'Zogbia play there, his energy, stamina and direct attacking style.

So with Dyer seemingly gone and therefore not having a chance to fill the attacking right-back role, who do we bring in to replace him and fill this position? Assuming that Carr will serve as backup and that Geremi's physical presence is utilised in our midfield.

With Allardyce preferring to start the season with players who have premiership experience, I would suggest Chelsea's Glenn Johnson who I believe would thrive under Sam's disciplined approach and a first team place. Chelsea appear to be going after a right-back stil (Chimbonda/Alves) and so it doesn't look like Glenn Johnson will be getting a lot of games, so I think we should get him in if we can.

p.s.

I would like to dedicato this thread to Verlaine who I understand is a big fan of mine. Couldn't have done it without you buddy cheers  :thup:

There are rumours we have a right back coming on trial this week. I've heard nothing further.

I'd try Geremi there of course and he is also DM cover.

This whole PL experience thing is out the window now imo and Sam is casting his net wider as it comes down to the wire.

We need to get shot of Carr.

p.s.

There are rumours we have a right back coming on trial this week. I've heard nothing further.

This whole PL experience thing is out the window now imo and Sam is casting his net wider as it comes down to the wire.

On trial?

That sounds desperate! We need to sign a player outright who we know is competent. Trials are for back ups and squad fillers.

p.s.

On trial?

That sounds desperate! We need to sign a player outright who we know is competent. Trials are for back ups and squad fillers.

There are some tasty (better than Carr) RB who are unnatached atm if you know where to look. bluerazz.gif

Guest nufcfan76

I like, no, love, the idea of Geronimo in at RB given what we have there already. But if Butt gets hurt or suspended which is highly probable given his style of play (no complaints if it's more of last season's hard tackling quality), that leaves Carr to come in at RB with Geronimo covering Butt. Not ideal. So I would say when big Sam is talking defenders he means a true RB & LB. Now, Nobby can cover at RWB and will no doubt be used as a creative force going forward against younger players, but he's slow at tracking back and is often too far forward. Rammy can also cover RB, but...

What we need are young, 22-24 yr old fullbacks with speed, sound defensive capabilities, a good to great cross, team player and a rocket for a shot for good measure. I think anything less would compromise our team. Right now I see nothing going on to get us in that direction except more links to Danish CBs, so... 

There are some tasty (better than Carr) RB who are unnatached atm if you know where to look. bluerazz.gif

That wouldnt be hard , my left testical is better then carr; my right could be questionable but still.

Guest Knightrider

If funds are limited, I'd say in a combination of Taylor, Geremi, Carr and even Ramage (not ideal) that we can just about manage for now, until January at least. It is at the heart of defence and at the opposite full-back position we need to strengthen. As for the player in question - no thanks.

Guest Verlaine

I just said what everyone else thinks; you're a shit poster, and this thread, an attempt to start a discussion that has already been done to the death numerous times, is only further proof of this.

I cant see what carr offers as a football in today modern game. Hes slow, unskillfull , lacks positonal and crossing skills. Carr must laff everytime he goes home from training that he is allowed to play football at a professional level.

I think the days are now that we need attacking fullbacks "with speed and skill" at a very least. riise lacks the defensive but what he offers in terms of attacking is great! alves is another lad ,  cashley cole at arsenal , evra , heinze , baines these are the types of players we need. i actually think that the zog may just be our perfect left back and when we get duff back that will be amazing.

right back there is lots of choices at various clubs around the world, we need a link up player to play with milner and/or butt, solano etc.

please please mort , mike and sam get rid of carr!!!

That wouldnt be hard , my left testical is better then carr; my right could be questionable but still.

That's actually what he was referring to - when he said if you know where to look...seems he certainly does. So, where else you been scouting testicles? Found one which could replace Ameobi?

Guest SwissMagpie

According fo France Football,Lyon and us are in for AZ Alkmaar Icelandic Right Back Grétar Steinsson

According fo France Football,Lyon and us are in for AZ Alkmaar Icelandic Right Back Grétar Steinsson

They've already turned down our pennies and mars bar wrapper bid.

it's all about the snickers, tbf...

http://www.holmenwi.com/holmenpr/snickers.jpg