Quotes from NUFC new players

Guest niina

Guest niina

Just a recap of quotes from our new players :)

Mark Viduka

"I'm so happy to be here.

"I'm over the moon. I'm really happy.

"The main thing that attracted me to the club was that it is moving in the right direction.

"I think a new era is about to start. Sam Allardyce has come in and if we can get success then it will be something special.

"The size of the club.

"The potential here is enormous and I'm really pleased to be part of it.

"It's definitely one of the biggest clubs in the country and if we can get success then it will be something special."

"Talking to Sam was a big turning point for me.

"I really wanted to hear what Sam's plans were for the new season and what players he was looking to bring in.

"And his answers matched with what I was thinking myself.

"I want to win things and Newcastle United is a club that has all the ingredients to do that, especially with Sam coming in."

Joey Barton

"I'm delighted to be here. As soon as it came to speaking to people at Newcastle United it became clear they have the desire and ambition to succeed.

"The people I am going to work with have the ambitions to match mine and I hope this is the start of a successful era for myself and the club.

"I've always admired Sam from afar. The job he did at Bolton was just phenomenal.

"Now I've got the opportunity to work with him. It was great to speak to him and know he rates me as a player. "

"I know that Newcastle United fans live and breathe their football.

"I hope they take to me in the same way as the fans did at Manchester City. I hope to have a great rapport with them in the years I am at Newcastle.

"I know a few of the lads from playing against Newcastle in the Premiership and from being in the England squad.

"I'm looking forward to next season already and the promise that it brings."

"Everything is in place for this club to take off and join the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

"If anything, there are a Big Five in this country and Newcastle United are one of them. If success is achieved here then the sky is the limit.

"It's a club steeped in history. There have been so many great players down the years, names like Jackie Milburn and Alan Shearer.

"I hope the fans will take to me in my own way and appreciate the job I can do. I'm looking forward to it, I'm really excited."

David Rozehnal

"I'm really happy, it's a dream come true because I always dreamed of playing in the big competitions and the English Premier League is one of the best in the world.

"Now it's about working hard and showing to everybody that I am in the right place.

"It will be another big step for me. I have gone from the Czech league to Belgium and then to France and now the Premier League.

"I'm really excited about it. I will play against some of the best strikers in the world and now I have the chance to show my best skills and help my new team.

"I knew the coach had been interested in me and I was happy about that.

"It's important the coach likes me and that he will give me a chance. Then it is up to me to work hard and show him and the players I can be in the first eleven."

"I spoke a lot to Petr Cech.

"He told me it could be a big experience and a great chance for me at Newcastle United.

"I'm really happy to be here and to have signed a contract and now I am ready to prepare for the new season.

"I know Newcastle is one of the biggest clubs in the Premier League, that it has a big name and a big history. I hope I can help the club have a big future and I will be doing my best to help the team get into the best position that it can.

"I have heard a lot about the club and the city and my wife and I are really looking forward to being here.

"I know Pav a little, although not personally. He's a good guy and hopefully I can have the same position as him with the fans.

"It's a big step in my career. If you could find some opposition to play then I would go directly to the pitch and play now!

Geremi

"I am very, very pleased. This is a big club and a great club, with passionate fans and I look forward to playing for them.

"I was impressed with Sam Allardyce too, with what he has done and his knowledge. It's a great move for me."

Alan Smith

"There was a lot of speculation linking me with a lot of clubs and I think there were about ten teams in for me.

"But once I knew of Newcastle's interest and spoke to Sam Allardyce I knew straight away that I wanted to come here.

"He's a manager who gets the very best out of his players and I'm sure we'll the best of Alan Smith at Newcastle.

"Sam told me of his plans for the club, there is massive potential here and the manager is determined to succeed.

"I want to be part of that and I'm delighted to be here. I'm raring to go, there are some great players at the club and hopefully we can gel as a team this season."

"The biggest thing for me is to get back playing regularly and to come to a place like this and to play football.

"Everyone already knows about how passionate Newcastle is, what their fans want to see, and how much they want success.

"It's nice to come to a place where a manager is trying to build a team and build a squad to develop and push on further and he wanted me to be part of that. When someone says that to you its always nice."

“It wasn’t difficult to sign here and Sam did not have to sell the club to me.

“Everybody in football knows what a great club Newcastle United is and the fans are fantastic.

“I have no problems whatsoever with anything here.

“I spoke to Sam about what I wanted to achieve and as soon as I had heard what he had to say I was impressed.

“I heard what his plans were here and I am looking forward to them.”

"I've had the opportunity to come here a few times and I just felt this time was the right time. I felt that with what the gaffer is doing and the new owners the club has a lot more stability."

"I am just glad to be playing for a manager who really wanted me.

"I know what this club wants to achieve, and he wants me to be a big part of what he wants to do here.

"I am here with my best years in front of me and that is why it was a big decision.

"A lot of last season I was out with injury and I wanted to come somewhere that I could come and play the full season and now I'm raring to go."

Claudio Cacapa

"I've been discussing with Newcastle and I've really wanted to come here for a long time.

"I've been in Newcastle since last Sunday and I've really realised just how big a club it is and I hope I will be as happy here as I was in Lyon.

"I've spoken with Sam Allardyce since I've been here and I've been very impressed and I want to play for him.

"I was at the Juventus match and, even though it was only a friendly, the fans were fantastic - they were shouting and singing and making lots of noise and I can't wait to play at St.James' Park.

"It's a massive club with big potential and I want to be part of that.

"I want a new challenge in a new country and the Premier League is a very competitive league.

"I've got a lot to prove because the fans don't know me that well here, but I want to show everyone that I'm good enough to play for Newcastle United and I'm confident I can do that.

"My first club, Altetico Mineiro, played in black and white so I'm really to be wearing the same colours and I hope it will bring me a lot of luck like it did in Brazil."

"I have been used to winning for six years now and I hope to bring that here and win some trophies with Newcastle.

"Of course my experience will help, I have played Champions League football against all of the best players in Europe, but the time is right for a new challenge and I'm looking forward to it.

"I knew Newcastle was a big club and I have spoken with a lot of other players about Newcastle and of course I know all about Alan Shearer.

"There are some great players here such as Michael Owen and Oba Martins and I can't wait to play with footballers of this quality.

"I've spoken to David Rozehnal since I arrived and it will help because there are so many people in the dressing room who speak my French such as Geremi, Charles N'Zogbia and Nobby Solano speaks Spanish.

"But I will try my best to learn the language and I hope to settle quickly in Newcastle."

Jose Enrique

"I believe very much in the manager at Newcastle United and I believe they are going to be one of the top teams.

"I met Sam for dinner and I was very happy to listen to his plans for Newcastle United.

"He treated me very well and he understands me. He knows I have to get used to a lot of new things, like changes in culture and language, but he says he is going to help me adapt to that.

"He says it will make me stronger and he will have patience with me. I am really happy to here that.

"I know that Newcastle already have players with a lot of character and players who are used to winning many things and playing in Europe like Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Alan Smith and Obafemi Martins.

"It will also help me to have people like Nolberto Solano and Albert Luque to speak to. Albert says he is going to take care of me at Newcastle."

"Last year I played at St. James' Park in a friendly match and I decided then it was a great place to play.

"I would like to thank Newcastle United for showing the faith in me and giving me this chance.

"It has always been a dream of mine to play in the Premier League. I am still young and I think I can grow up here.

"The Premier League is the best in the world and I am looking forward to playing here for Newcastle United.

"I think the way I play is suited for the Premier League. I have always thought the English style is like my style."

Habib Beye

"I remembered that Sam wanted to sign me when he was at Bolton when I found out that Newcastle wanted to sign me in July.

"He just said how much he wanted me and that was enough for me.

"I then walked into Sam Allardyce's office on Friday and he told me he was so happy to sign me because he never throught it would happen.

"It is a real pleasure to join Sam Allardyce and I'm looking forward to working with him.

"I already know all about Newcastle, they are a great club, not only in England but in Europe.

"I have always wanted to play in the Premiership becuase it is one of the best leagues in the world and I think I will be suited to it."

"When I went out onto the pitch before kick-off it was amazing.

"The reception the fans gave me was incredible and it made me feel so welcome.

"I said to my dad and agent when I came off the pitch that I couldn't believe how much they applauded me.

"Hopefully that is a sign of things to come and I can have a good relationship with the Newcastle fans.

"I remember how much pressure the fans put on us on that night.

"It was a great atmosphere and I can't wait to play for Newcastle at St.James' Park, that will be a special moment."

"To play against Alan Shearer was a great experience for me.

"I have a lot of respect for him and it was a proud moment to play against and beat Newcastle United for Marseille.

"I arrived at St.James' on Friday and as soon as I got there I saw a huge poster of Alan Shearer.

"Shearer is one of my idols and the poster brought back memories of the game at St.James'.

"I remember the physical battle, but luckily for us we got a good 0-0 draw at Newcastle and won the second leg 2-0.

"It's a proud moment for me to join Newcastle United and I can't wait to make my debut and play in front of the fans at St.James' Park."

Feel free to add or give correction   O0

Guest black

Not a quote directly from VIduka but ....

Prospect of Magpie Viduka pleases Pies

June 7, 2007

WITH a salary package offer of more than $140,000 a week already rumoured to be on the negotiation table, don't expect Socceroos star Mark Viduka to harbour too many regrets about having never represented his first footy love, Collingwood Football Club. But what has not escaped anybody's attention at Magpieland — and no doubt not Viduka's either — is that he now appears on the verge of doing the next best thing, not only playing for "the other Magpies", English Premier League club Newcastle United, but at last wearing the strip he has long adored, the famous black and white vertical stripes. "Forget the $140,000 a week, what they didn't realise at Newcastle is that he would have worn that guernsey for nothing," boomed Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, an unabashed Viduka fan, and never one to miss some point scoring for "one of the most famous sporting clubs in the world". The Viduka-Collingwood connection is certainly a strong one. Not only did McGuire once organise, at Viduka's request, to have Collingwood match tapes sent to him in England but a few years back Viduka had a training run at Victoria Park, the Pies' former den, where he met his childhood idol, Peter Daicos. It's a toss-up who enjoyed the experience more, Daicos or Viduka, who quickly proved he was almost as adept with the oval ball as he was with the round one, not only launching into 50- and 60-metre roosts, but in a goal shootout kicking nine goals from 10 shots. To McGuire's regret, Viduka, who is now in Australia, was a last-minute withdrawal from the president's dinner before last Friday's match against Fremantle at the MCG, having to fly to Sydney for a Socceroos match promotion. But McGuire has been enjoying all the recent press speculation linking Viduka with Newcastle. "It will be great to have him in the black and white," he said. "And he can now wear his Collingwood guernsey at training and not look out of place."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/prospect-of-magpie-viduka-pleases-pies/2007/06/06/1181089151068.html

• 2 weeks later...

Almost every single one (bar Rozenahl) talk about the Big Sam effect. No wonder we found it hard to sign players last year, I mean if you're a player, you hold meetings with different managers, one seems clueless on what he says, the other gives you his vision for the club, how he's going to do it, and establishes what kind of role that you will undertake in those plans, which one would you join?

Not a quote directly from VIduka but ....

Prospect of Magpie Viduka pleases Pies

June 7, 2007

WITH a salary package offer of more than $140,000 a week already rumoured to be on the negotiation table, don't expect Socceroos star Mark Viduka to harbour too many regrets about having never represented his first footy love, Collingwood Football Club. But what has not escaped anybody's attention at Magpieland — and no doubt not Viduka's either — is that he now appears on the verge of doing the next best thing, not only playing for "the other Magpies", English Premier League club Newcastle United, but at last wearing the strip he has long adored, the famous black and white vertical stripes. "Forget the $140,000 a week, what they didn't realise at Newcastle is that he would have worn that guernsey for nothing," boomed Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, an unabashed Viduka fan, and never one to miss some point scoring for "one of the most famous sporting clubs in the world". The Viduka-Collingwood connection is certainly a strong one. Not only did McGuire once organise, at Viduka's request, to have Collingwood match tapes sent to him in England but a few years back Viduka had a training run at Victoria Park, the Pies' former den, where he met his childhood idol, Peter Daicos. It's a toss-up who enjoyed the experience more, Daicos or Viduka, who quickly proved he was almost as adept with the oval ball as he was with the round one, not only launching into 50- and 60-metre roosts, but in a goal shootout kicking nine goals from 10 shots. To McGuire's regret, Viduka, who is now in Australia, was a last-minute withdrawal from the president's dinner before last Friday's match against Fremantle at the MCG, having to fly to Sydney for a Socceroos match promotion. But McGuire has been enjoying all the recent press speculation linking Viduka with Newcastle. "It will be great to have him in the black and white," he said. "And he can now wear his Collingwood guernsey at training and not look out of place."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/prospect-of-magpie-viduka-pleases-pies/2007/06/06/1181089151068.html

McGuire proving his Eddie McEverywhere tag - I can't even avoid the knob on a Toon forum! :tickedoff:

Guest black

Aussie rules confuses me, all that bounce the ball every so often, hand pass, mark kick weird goal posts stuff.

The violence is cool though.

It's a sh!t game, Eddie McGuire or not. There is little skill and too much is decided on the bounce of an egg.

The brillant footballers in this Australia that have been lost to aerial ping pong, cricket and the thugby codes is a crying shame.

But as long as the media, ie the Packers and the Murdochs have control of the "We're the world champions" local codes and their millions of sponsorship dollars, football will always be fifth choice for the general public.

• 5 weeks later...

Quotes from one of West Ham new players

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG"

Quotes from Dave Nugent to his estate agent:

"You can stop searching for mock Tudor, I am okay with the hotel room for now"