Mort is new Chairman - Shepherd leaves

lovejoy

very pleasing news! what most excites me is that mort is a non-nufc fan so will therefore run the club with his head rather than his heart. now don't get me wrong, i am no shepherd fan, but i'd imagine a lot of the time he would have thought, 'a trophy signing will appease them lot and they'll be happy with me'. now, there will be none of this and the club will be run professionaly and efficiently. whats more, maybe we can see some fekkin transfers with a fee attached!!

I was assured by a number of people the other day that Mort was only here for a sabbatical and wouldn't take over from Shepherd permanently. Didn't take long to prove them wrong. Can't say I'm overly excited by having a laywer (!) as our new chairman..

Can't say you're excited that someone who knows what he's doing has been appointed?

He knows what he's doing in a law farm, not a football club. Surely you recognise there is a subtle difference?

I was assured by a number of people the other day that Mort was only here for a sabbatical and wouldn't take over from Shepherd permanently. Didn't take long to prove them wrong. Can't say I'm overly excited by having a laywer (!) as our new chairman..

Can't say you're excited that someone who knows what he's doing has been appointed?

He knows what he's doing in a law farm, not a football club. Surely you recognise there is a subtle difference?

As far as the chairman is concerned, the club is a business, just like everywhere else. Sam Allardyce is in charge of the footballing side.

As far as the chairman is concerned, the club is a business, just like everywhere else. Sam Allardyce is in charge of the footballing side.

Even if you think that, a lawyer is not by definition a good chairman of a company? Again, there is a subtle difference..

Guest toonlass

Agreed. Maybe with Mort keeping his nose and ego out of the day to day footballing matters and letting Allardyce get on with his job, he can sort out the business side of the club. FFS was too concerned with what the Chronicle was saying, and making sure people knew that he ran the show. I think it can only be a good thing.

True, but there may come a time where Allardyce pulls the wool over his eyes in an attempt to desperately get a player. He might see a centre-back worth £4m, but with the chairman not having a clue about the player he might tell him he's worth say, I dunno, £8m and, oh hang on...

Even if you think that, a lawyer is not by definition a good chairman of a company? Again, there is a subtle difference..

He's a man that a Billionaire has been working with all his life, got to say I trust his opinion over yours :thup:

Guest toonlass

What exactly is a law farm?  mackems.gif

Key word there mate..  Where is permanent mentioned here?  As I said originally my opinion was that Mort was here to complete the internal review and as Ashley's man on the inside during the initial takeover period.  Giving him the highest title available at the club was a pretty obvious thing to do.  At the time it was deputy chairman, now with Freddy gone its Chairman.  But I cannot see it being permanent unless a director of Football is brought in.  Even then as I said it was mentioned that he was on sabbatical, so unless that's changed he won't be here permanently in any position.

Guest niina

Just Dyer to go and it's a fullhouse in clearing the s**** from this Club.

Carr not s**** then?

Carr just isn't very good. (Same with Baba) buy Dyer is your toal and utter shitweasel.

Agree :)

And also one important thing is Dyer is in the ridiculous wage. One thing to be worried is, we don't have enough cover. If Allardyce can buy new players in Dyer's position, then I definitely happily let him go  :clap:

True, but there may come a time where Allardyce pulls the wool over his eyes in an attempt to desperately get a player. He might see a centre-back worth £4m, but with the chairman not having a clue about the player he might tell him he's worth say, I dunno, £8m and, oh hang on...

:lol:

"This Titus fella, can we slap in a 10 million bid?" :lol:

Don't think Mort would do that without seriously checking out the player in question.

We dont know or sure that Mort is up to this job at all yet. Just because he's done well in other realms of business, doesn't mean he'll know how to run this particular business. I'm good at golf, doesn't mean I'm liquid at all sports though. (Worst example ever but you get the idea)

I'm staying optimistic though, for now.

:lol:

"This Titus fella, can we slap in a 10 million bid?" :lol:

Don't think Mort would do that without seriously checking out the player in question.

But then do you not end up down the same road as Shepherd where the chairman ends up saying, "I'm not willing to pay £6m on him, how about this fella that some agent has put me onto".

We dont know or sure that Mort is up to this job at all yet. Just because he's done well in other realms of business, doesn't mean he'll know how to run this particular business. I'm good at golf, doesn't mean I'm liquid at all sports though. (Worst example ever but you get the idea)

I'm staying optimistic though, for now.

It is the worst example ever, you're right there.

At th end of the day, anyone new brings risks, but IMO a man with a background like Mort is as risk free as we can get.

So if Allardyce ever leaves this Mort bloke is going to be trusted to find a suitable replacement? We need either a CEO or a DOF to pull the strings behind the scenes, football is too big of a business not to have one and puts too much responsibility on the manager, even Wenger has said he can't operate without one.

Still don't think this is a long term thing.  Chris Mort just doesn't have the know how to run a Football club.  Unless they go the director of Football route (Mort as chairman of the company and a DOF to run the Football side).

....and here's me thinking that the manager chooses who to buy and the Chairman just deals with the business side of things....

Yeah because picking players is the only job at a Football club right?..  The manager deals with players, picking the team, oversee's coaching and usually picks the transfer targets.  But you still need someone with Football knowledge in front of him to deal with everything else.  Mort doesn't have that AFAIK.  Which is why I mentioned a DOF in between Mort and Allardyce to support the manager on Football matters that he shouldn't need to be burdened with.

just sent this to skysports news, i've never bothered before but david craig commenting on it made me irate

can everyone PLEASE stop saying that freddy shepherd put his money where is mouth was, not a single penny of that cash was his, it was OURS, we put that money into the club, and he thanked us by slagging off the people of newcastle, selling players without the managers say so, sacking bobby at a ridiculous time of the season, employing a terrible manager in souness and refusing to buy any defenders, and thats just a small fraction of the things he supposedly did for the good of the club, bye bye freddy, you wont be missed

Couldn't have put it better.

Not only did he not dip into his own pocket, but he paid himself a handsome salary and dividends. I've actually no objection to that, because he's a businessman with a big responsibility, but it's really irritating to hear him spoken about like he was some generous benefactor. Gonads.

Still don't think this is a long term thing.  Chris Mort just doesn't have the know how to run a Football club.  Unless they go the director of Football route (Mort as chairman of the company and a DOF to run the Football side).

....and here's me thinking that the manager chooses who to buy and the Chairman just deals with the business side of things....

Yeah because picking players is the only job at a Football club right?..  The manager deals with players, picking the team, oversee's coaching and usually picks the transfer targets.  But you still need someone with Football knowledge in front of him to deal with everything else.  Mort doesn't have that AFAIK.  Which is why I mentioned a DOF in between Mort and Allardyce to support the manager on Football matters that he shouldn't need to be burdened with.

I do think we'll end up with a DOF.

So if Allardyce ever leaves this Mort bloke is going to be trusted to find a suitable replacement? We need either a CEO or a DOF to pull the strings behind the scenes, football is too big of a business not to have one and puts too much responsibility on the manager, even Wenger has said he can't operate without one.

Like I said, keeping the seat warm for Dein & Wenger to come in next summer...;)

He's a man that a Billionaire has been working with all his life, got to say I trust his opinion over yours :thup:

He is taking through his arse anyway. Every biotech company is headed up by Lawyers just as a simple example. To say a lawyer by defintion doesnt make a good chairman is nonsense.

Company leaders can come from anywhere, finance, marketing, sales, HR or even legal.