Sports Direct having a bad day

Lloydie

Issues profit warning, share price slumps, etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/07/24/bcnashley124.xml

Interesting bits on Ashley here as well

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/06/06/ccjeff106.xml

There's a fairly terrible bit of 'investigative journalism' linked from the Telegraphs front page as well (opens a movie in a popup)

Ashley's idea of good corporate governance is talking to himself in the bathroom mirror.

"Good morning Mike, today I'm off to buy control of a premiership football club.

"Great Mike, thanks for letting me know.

"Hey Mike, shall I tell our shareholders.

"Er, Mike, who are they?"

:thup:

Guest thenorthumbrian

Only Newcastle could bring in a poor billionaire - jinxed or what.

And Man City's new owner is what exactly?  :lol:

A slightly dodgy character ?

Guest Toon Saint

Really good piece and great pictures of Ashley in The Sunday Times tomorrow

You got tonight's lotto numbers too?  :naughty:

And Man City's new owner is what exactly?  :lol:

A slightly dodgy character ?

I thought you meant poor as in rubbish or something wrong, poor as in skint simply doesn't make any sense. 

Is there such a thing?

how can a billionaire be poor?  :laugh2:

Isnt that what i said?

you said is there such a thing...i said how can a billionaire be poor  :lol: i was more specific i think  :razz:

Is there such a thing?

how can a billionaire be poor?  :laugh2:

Isnt that what i said?

you said is there such a thing...i said how can a billionaire be poor   :lol: i was more specific i think  :razz:

I guess i should learn from my mistakes then

Guest sicko2ndbest

Great piece as in great reading for NUFC fans?

Someone summarise. I'm too modern to read long things.

icnewcastle have a story about Ashley having a bad time with SDI so it could be something along those lines.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0500business/businessnews/tm_headline=sdi-fails-to-score-with-city%26method=full%26objectid=19534951%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

No tre

The problem with an owner who is having issues with the City is that when and if we need to raise cash (say to extend the ground) it won't be available

Nonsense

Um probably true actually. Sports Direct looks to have been quite effectively presented to the market prior to being sold, and now the markets going sour on it. Ashley's put one past them and they won't be keen for it to happen again. So yes, could easily add a few tenths of a percent to future loan deals etc.

No tre

The problem with an owner who is having issues with the City is that when and if we need to raise cash (say to extend the ground) it won't be available

Nonsense

Um probably true actually. Sports Direct looks to have been quite effectively presented to the market prior to being sold, and now the markets going sour on it. Ashley's put one past them and they won't be keen for it to happen again. So yes, could easily add a few tenths of a percent to future loan deals etc.

Not true at all.  Made himself a billionaire running a pivate company.  He's now running a private company.  He's no more than a shrewd business man and people in the city will know that.

The retail market in general is struggling with interest rates rising, and the market sports direct are in is aimed typically at lower income groups of people, who in turn will have less disposable income when paying increased mortgage payments and other debt.

IF he did need funding, investors would still be queuing up to give it him

I'm moderately concerned over the poor communication part associated with Ashley, at least when were a PLC, we knew what was going on with the club financially, we also occationally heard from Shepherd about what the future plans were and what was going on with the club. Now what are we going to get from our owner? Nothing it seems.

P.R is pretty damn important in football, it isn't like running a city business when you just succeed by posting good numbers every 6 months. I'm not sure what Ashley knows about this. The best way to make yourself popular is to come on tv or at least radio and occationally speak to the fans like Learner and Gillett do, even the Glazers spoke to the press.

I think in the long-term a spokesman will be employed in the shape of... well, I don't know yet, let's just say a figurehead. Someone who will take over from Mort and be the public face of Ashley's Newcastle Utd. (It's certainly true that if he affords us the same respect as he did for the punters who bought (490m?) of Sports Direct then it could be a bleak and silent future.)

I think in the long-term a spokesman will be employed in the shape of... well, I don't know yet, let's just say a figurehead. Someone who will take over from Mort and be the public face of Ashley's Newcastle Utd. (It's certainly true that if he affords us the same respect as he did for the punters who bought (490m?) of Sports Direct then it could be a bleak and silent future.)

That will be Morts job.  Dont get the comparison with Sports Direct though?  He has bought the shares in NUFC not sold them to punters.

Why have people started being so negative about this.  Not happy unless they're not happy

Guest Knightrider

It's the City's own fault for hyping up his stock and paying over the odds, and why the fuck should a man renowned for holding the corporate world with disdain, care a fuck about their protocols. The SE seem pissed because they've been slightly fleeced, yet they are experts at it. What comes around....