Sam Interview

SUPERTOON

Well, something of a reality check from Big Sam there, I think. Just what the fans needs, imo. People gannin crackers just cos' some rich fella has taken over the club. When Sam says he'll need 2 years, I think that's spot on. Took SBR about that long.

needs a fucking lot then as he says he also needs 3 to 4 defenders pronto

Q WHERE ARE NEWCASTLE IN THAT EQUATION?

A: You look at Fulham and they have spent £20m, Wigan have spent £10m, Portsmouth have spent £20m, West Ham £20m and Spurs £30m. Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again.

that can be looked at in oh so many ways!

Have any of those clubs bar Spurs, bought anyone who would really have wanted though? Portsmouth got Distin but he was past the post by the time Allardyce got here. The reason he isn't here has more to do with past failings than present.

That's not really the point though is it?

I don't think anyone is expecting Sunderland and Fulham to bring in the sort of players we have in the past.

In the past we were playing in Europe not struggling in mid-table. It's a bit unrealistic to expect us to compete with Liverpool or even Spurs right now.

A: You look at Fulham and they have spent £20m, Wigan have spent £10m, Portsmouth have spent £20m, West Ham £20m and Spurs £30m. Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again.

Have any of those clubs bar Spurs, bought anyone who would really have wanted though? Portsmouth got Distin but he was past the post by the time Allardyce got here. The reason he isn't here has more to do with past failings than present.

I couldn't see Distin ever coming here anyway. He went to a newly promoted Man City after we had qualified for the champions league. Surely that alone is enough for us to question is footballing motives.

I couldn't see Distin ever coming here anyway. He went to a newly promoted Man City after we had qualified for the champions league. Surely that alone is enough for us to question is footballing motives.

Well, something of a reality check from Big Sam there, I think. Just what the fans needs, imo. People gannin crackers just cos' some rich fella has taken over the club. When Sam says he'll need 2 years, I think that's spot on. Took SBR about that long.

needs a fucking lot then as he says he also needs 3 to 4 defenders pronto

Football managers in clueless saga. :razz:

In my view the key words are "but not at the moment".

While this "Strategic Review" is going on, I do not think Ashley is going to release any real money. My personal opinion is that once it has concluded, real money WILL be released  -  otherwise the whole thing (Ashley buying the club) just makes no sense at all!

So I am not worried about that.

My main worry is TIME.  Just 'when' will that review be concluded and the results analysed by Ashley. That is my main concern. Hopefully it will be by the end of this month???  Leaving us one whole month to get on with real business.

Later than I would have liked, for obvious reasons, but lets hope that I am right . . . August could be fun!

That's not really the point though is it?

I don't think anyone is expecting Sunderland and Fulham to bring in the sort of players we have in the past.

In the past we were playing in Europe not struggling in mid-table. It's a bit unrealistic to expect us to compete with Liverpool or even Spurs right now.

Remind me again where we came in the league the season before we signed Owen, Luque, Emre, Solano and Parker.

We had a shit season but players will look beyond that at the potential we now have with a manager like Allardyce, they will look at our squad and see it's far better than most of the teams that finished above us and I don't honestly think decent players (as in the sort that would improve our first team) would turn us down because we're not in Europe for one season, or to go to the likes of Portsmouth, Blackburn, Reading etc.

In my view the key words are "but not at the moment".

While this "Strategic Review" is going on, I do not think Ashley is going to release any real money. My personal opinion is that once it has concluded, real money WILL be released  -  otherwise the whole thing (Ashley buying the club) just makes no sense at all!

So I am not worried about that.

My main worry is TIME.  Just 'when' will that review be concluded and the results analysed by Ashley. That is my main concern. Hopefully it will be by the end of this month???  Leaving us one whole month to get on with real business.

Later than I would have liked, for obvious reasons, but lets hope that I am right . . . August could be fun!

chasing our tails now with the "waiting for the review" thing

Article in tomorrow's Times says the review is very advanced hence Freddy's departure, also said that although Freddy was kept to assist with transfers this was deemed not necessary.

As far as signings go, I think we might also be in a situation where we are waiting for other clubs to sign players before they release the players we might be after. I think for example Liverpool going after Heinze will probably mean Hyypia is available or Riise if that rumour is to be believed.

Article in tomorrow's Times says the review is very advanced hence Freddy's departure, also said that although Freddy was kept to assist with transfers this was deemed not necessary.

As far as signings go, I think we might also be in a situation where we are waiting for other clubs to sign players before they release the players we might be after. I think for example Liverpool going after Heinze will probably mean Hyypia is available or Riise if that rumour is to be believed.

Because we're not signing anyone?! :frantic:

The strategic review is a smokescreen I wish people would stop mentioning it....It means nothing.

There has to be a reason why we ("but not at the moment") are not buying the players we need (at this time) to fill the obvious gaps in the team.

People can give many reasons for this, but the only one that I can see that is credible, is the one I mention.

Why do you see this only credible (logical) reason, as a smokescreen?

A smokescreen for WHAT?

Newcastle fans will not mourn Shepherd’s loss

George Caulkin

The change may have been more symbolic than substantive, given the whirlwind events of the past two months, but Freddy Shepherd’s low-key departure from Newcastle United yesterday ushered a shop-soiled era into the past. After a decade as chairman, Shepherd was replaced by Chris Mort, Mike Ashley’s lieutenant, a development that will be broadly welcomed by supporters.

While Shepherd’s 15 years at St James’ Park coincided with the restoration of the club to prominence, stadium development, the attacking football of Kevin Keegan, Sir John Hall’s vision for a “Geordie nation” and some galáctico signings, his regime proved flawed and contentious. Disenchantment and underachievement have been growing trends, while the club’s debt soared to about £80 million. Shepherd leaves with the £37 million he was paid by Mort for his 28 per cent stake in Newcastle and is also entitled, under the terms of his contract, to a payoff of £1 million, which equates to two years’ salary.

With Kenny, his son – once an influential figure – informed recently that his services would no longer be required, the family’s powerbase on Tyneside has disappeared.

Shepherd Sr agreed to remain in his position in the immediate aftermath of Ashley’s takeover, while Mort, a lawyer by trade and a partner at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, who was installed as deputy, conducted a thorough investigation into the running of the club. That process is well advanced, allowing Shepherd to depart earlier than expected.

“I am delighted to become chairman of such a fabulous club,” Mort said. “Since arriving at St James’ Park I have been hugely encouraged by the warm welcome I have received from so many supporters. The strategic review of the club is going well and, with the new season fast approaching, we feel the time is right to make this change. I would like to thank Freddy Shepherd for all he has done for the club over the last 15 years.”

Shepherd’s input has been limited by illness and his relationship with Sam Allardyce, the manager he appointed only two months ago, was not so deep that Ashley believed it essential. It had been expected that Newcastle would allow the present transfer window to close before dispensing with Shepherd’s experience, but that, too, has not been deemed necessary.

New signings were one area where Shepherd struggled to shrug off controversy. From Patrick Kluivert to Celestine Babayaro, it was long rumoured that the chairman – who often sat beside Paul Stretford, the agent and his close friend, at home matches – played a significant part in incoming transfers. It was an allegation that he repeatedly denied.

Yet Graeme Souness, a former manager, recently insisted that “one man and one man alone decided what player came to the club and what player left – and it wasn’t the manager. It was the chairman”. Sir Bobby Robson, another former manager, complained that Shepherd was “hostile” to training-ground innovations; under the Halls and Shepherds, Newcastle lacked stability and foundations.

There were ambitious moments, from the club-record £17 million arrival of Michael Owen to an alleged bid for Wayne Rooney, yet Shepherd’s reputation was tarnished by some mediocre additions and a perceived alacrity for dismissing managers mid-season. Last season, after matches against Sheffield United and Black-burn Rovers, fans protested against his stewardship. Few will be rebelling now.

How the chairman put his foot in it

Caught with Douglas Hall by the News of the World’s “Fake Sheikh” describing Geordie women as “dogs”, calling Alan Shearer “Mary Poppins” and mocking fans for buying replica shirts. They resign from their posts, an exile that lasts ten months, after which they vote themselves back on to the board.

Newcastle finish third in the Premier League. Shepherd says they have “put them [Liverpool and Chelsea] in their place.”

Dismisses Sir Bobby Robson four matches into the new season – Newcastle ended the previous campaign in fifth place – a decision that Shepherd describes as “the hardest thing I have ever done. I didn’t want to be known as the man who shot Bambi.” The subsequent appointment of Graeme Souness proves disastrous. The Scot later claims that “one man alone decided what player came to the club and what player left – the chairman”.

At an international football forum in Dubai, Shepherd courts more controversy. “When we have got 52,000 fans at each home game, the last thing we are worried about is clubs in the third division. There is no sympathy here.”

Shown on YouTube offering to “f***ing carry” Michael Owen back to Anfield after the striker’s apparent reluctance to commit himself verbally to Newcastle. Shepherd sells his 28 per cent stake in Newcastle to Mike Ashley for more than £37 million. Words by George Caulkin

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article2134569.ece

Simple question.

Say the worst happens and we dont get any new defenders in in this transfer window. Are we relegation fodder or just strugglers ?

Bottom half of the table material..

Would you have defended Freddy if he wouldn't have brought in defensive reinforcements?

Simple question.

Say the worst happens and we dont get any new defenders in in this transfer window. Are we relegation fodder or just strugglers ?

Strugglers, do you think we should be happy with that when we've let defenders go earlier in the summer after the manager was promised money to strengthen by the old chairman?

The strategic review is a smokescreen I wish people would stop mentioning it....It means nothing.

There has to be a reason why we ("but not at the moment") are not buying the players we need (at his time) to fill the obvious gaps in the team.

People can give many reasons for this, but the only one that I can see that is credible, is the one I mention.

A smokescreen for WHAT?

Ashley would have known the bottom line before he bought the club. He doesn't need to wait for people to count pencils and paper clips.

Simple question.

Bottom half of the table material..

Would you have defended Freddy if he wouldn't have brought in defensive reinforcements?

Not at all, but the club is in a period of complete and utter overhaul.

If we all feel that the club can get through the first half of the season on the squad we have then there is no need for us all to be panicking. The squad is very thin and I agree I would feel better if we did have mpre resources at the back but I do not think we are under threat of relegation.

It is getting said in almost every interview about how long its going to take to get us back up to the top part of the league.

Unless we are expecting CL qualification next season, we should only be concentrating on consolidating our position.... which if I remember correctly when Sam was appointed was what most people on here wanted. No one had over the top expectations.

There has to be a reason why we ("but not at the moment") are not buying the players we need (at his time) to fill the obvious gaps in the team.

A smokescreen for WHAT?

Ashley would have known the bottom line before he bought the club. He doesn't need to wait for people to count pencils and paper clips.

Not true I'm afraid.

Ashley bought the club without any period of due diligence if my memory serves me correct.

A smokescreen for WHAT?

Parky, I agree wholeheartedy with that.

However, that is not what the (strategic) review will be about.  That sort of thing is 'low level'. What Mort will be doing is high level stuff.

His report to Ashley (in my personal opinion) will all be about "where the club is in the football world" / "where can it realistically be in the football world" / "what do we need to do to get there, and when can we get there" / AND ALL THE FINANCIAL DATA TO BACK IT UP.  This sort of thing determines investment types and levels.

Takes time does that, examining data and information on football clubs (football businesses) from all around the UK and Europe (possibly the world).

Speculation (on all of that sort of thing) takes TEN MINUTES (or less). You and I could do that!

But, real research and evidence and data and provable analysis  -  takes a LOT longer.

Oh, and there will be a 'procedural review' into paperclips type-of-thing, going on at the same time, no doubt!!

A smokescreen for WHAT?

Not true I'm afraid.

Ashley bought the club without any period of due diligence if my memory serves me correct.

i don't believe thats what parky means by "the bottom line"...........he'd know the basic state of play and knows if we drop further back in this window how much harder it will be to attract the players to get us back where we like to think we belong.

Simple question.

Strugglers, do you think we should be happy with that when we've let defenders go earlier in the summer after the manager was promised money to strengthen by the old chairman?

Of course we shouldnt be happy with just struggling but I am just getting the impression that too many people have set their expectations too high again.

I agree that it would be great to have some defensive signings now but the club is just trying to find its feel after a hell of a summer. We cant just magic up players who want to come here

A smokescreen for WHAT?

However, that is not what the (strategic) review will be about.  That sort of thing is 'low level'. What Mort will be doing is high level stuff.

His report to Ashley (in my personal opinion) will all be about "where the club is in the football world" / "where can it relistically be in the football world" / "what do we need to do to get there, and when can we get there" / AND ALL THE FINANCIAL DATA TO BACK IT UP.

Takes time does that, examining data and information on football clubs (football businesses) from all around the UK and Europe (possibly the world).

Speculation (on all of that sort of thing) takes TEN MINUTES (or less). You and I could do that!

But, real research and evidence and data and provable analysis  -  takes a LOT longer.

Oh, and there will be a 'procedural review' into paperclips type-of-thing, going on at the same time, no doubt!!

We're on the same page right?  blueyes.gif

My point is that this review doesn't stop us at this point being aggressive in the market.

The two things aren't intrinsically linked, people have picked up on it as there aren't too many other clues.

A smokescreen for WHAT?

However, that is not what the (strategic) review will be about.  That sort of thing is 'low level'. What Mort will be doing is high level stuff.

His report to Ashley (in my personal opinion) will all be about "where the club is in the football world" / "where can it realistically be in the football world" / "what do we need to do to get there, and when can we get there" / AND ALL THE FINANCIAL DATA TO BACK IT UP.  This sort of thing determines investment types and levels.

But, real research and evidence and data and provable analysis  -  takes a LOT longer.

wouldn't a "football" man be better at assessing this than a sports lawyer ?

A smokescreen for WHAT?

But Nancy the cleaner is on holiday in Ibiza for 2 weeks, he needs to wait for her to get back before he knows how much to put in the budget for bog roll otherwise he can't finish the review, and we can't be spending money until the review's finished you know.

My own feeling is he's decided to put a director of football in place, and is waiting to get someone in.

A smokescreen for WHAT?

His report to Ashley (in my personal opinion) will all be about "where the club is in the football world" / "where can it relistically be in the football world" / "what do we need to do to get there, and when can we get there" / AND ALL THE FINANCIAL DATA TO BACK IT UP.

We're on the same page right?  blueyes.gif

My point is that this review doesn't stop us at this point being aggressive in the market.

The two things aren't intrinsically linked, people have picked up on it as there aren't too many other clues.

I think they are very linked.

A "Strategic Review" is to decide strategy.

Strategy 1 - Dont invest!

Strategy 2 - INVEST!

Action will not (CAN not) happen, until it is concluded.