I did my best - Shepherd

Guest sicko2ndbest

...FREDDY SHEPHERD has admitted the time was right for him to leave Newcastle United after 10 years as chairman at St James Park...

...a philosophical Shepherd said: I have had a great 15 years on the board, 10 of them as chairman and Ive enjoyed every minute...

I can just picture Freddy Shepherd getting arrested, tried for murder and on his way giving an interview "I think it is the right time for me to go to prison".  Get stuffed, it was the right time to go as soon as someone with money, ambition and a brain in their head came knocking on the door.  He didn't think it was the 'right time' until he was asked to clear his fucking desk.

And I have no doubt that he's enjoyed every minute as chairman.  No doubt at all.

I'm sure that fat pay-off made leaving easier.

I love the way Oliver uses the Boumsong/Balde thing as if it's backing up Shepherd over that one, when in fact Boumsong still is, and always will be better than f*cking Balde. One's now at Juve, the other is being linked with the Mackems.

Can't even get his arse licking right these days.

Guest Darth Toon

A touching obituary by Oliver.

I reckon he knows that the wind of change is headed his way real soon....

Guest winchestermag

Time is right for me to quitJ

ul 25 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

FREDDY SHEPHERD has admitted the time was right for him to leave Newcastle United after 10 years as chairman at St James’ Park.

And far from being bitter about his departure, Shepherd told me today: “I wish Chris Mort and Sam Allardyce all the best and I hope they can do what we just could not do and give our fans a trophy.”

In his only interview after the club announced his departure at tea-time yesterday, a philosophical Shepherd said: “I have had a great 15 years on the board, 10 of them as chairman and I’ve enjoyed every minute.

“It has been a great privilege and honour to have been chairman and I would not have missed it for the world.

”We have had some really exciting times and I like to think we have achieved a lot since 1992 when we took over the club.

“But it was the right time for me to stand down. And in any case, once the club was de-listed, my position as chairman of the PLC became redundant.

“I gave it my best shot and I could not really have done any more.”

My only regret is that we didn’t get a trophy for fansJul 25 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

FREDDY SHEPHERD insists his one big regret after 10 years as chairman of Newcastle United is that he did not give the fans a trophy.

In an exclusive interview with The Chronicle, Shepherd told me today: “My biggest regret is that I was unable to give our supporters a trophy.

“Don’t forget that I am a supporter as well, and I was as desperate as the rest of the fans to bring some silverware to this club, but unfortunately we just could not do it.

“But I still feel that we have achieved quite a lot since we took over in 1992.

“We have a fantastic stadium at St James’ Park and our training ground and academy are as good as any in Europe.

“Now I feel that everything is in place for Sam Allardyce, Mike Ashley and Chris Mort to bring Newcastle United the success our supporters deserve.”

Shepherd always claimed that he would stand down if a Geordie Roman Abramovich appeared on the scene and, while Mike Ashley is based in the south, he falls into the billionaire category.

This leads Shepherd to add: “I always said that it is no good being a multi- millionaire but a billionaire in football these days if you want to take over a club – and I have been proved right.”

Shepherd’s departure was not exactly a surprise, and United fans knew that it was going to happen sooner rather than later.

But those supporters I have spoken to are more concerned about how much money the new owners will make available to Sam Allardyce for new players.

And they will certainly welcome Chris Mort’s pledge to the Chronicle today that Big Sam will be given money to spend to strengthen a squad which is looking decidedly thin at the moment.

Meanwhile, Shepherd boasted today of one of his big achievements – outlasting his big pal Tony Blair.

Shepherd, a former trade unionist in his days as a Swan Hunter apprentice, has been a big supporter of Newcastle fan Blair, and he was often in touch with the former Prime Minster.

And he told me today: “I took over as chairman about the same time as Tony was made Prime Minister, and I will be texting him to say I lasted longer than him.”

Shepherd is obviously disappointed that his reign as United chairman is over, but he added: “There is still plenty for me to do, and I am a director of six other companies.”

And, like Alan Shearer, Freddy has been bitten by the golf bug, and is looking forward to reducing his handicap over the coming months.

And there is another thing Shepherd and Shearer have in common.

Both are no longer United employees. But both remain die-hard United supporters, however.

Indeed, Shepherd’s parting shot to me was: “See you at Bolton Wanderers on August 11.”

Aye and no mention of your comments about Geordie women and Shearer as a regret? My only regret about him is he was  here at all.

See you at Bolton? I bet you  I don't in your corporate ivory tower, expect some nice songs about you then, just in case, but then I prefer to sing positive songs for the team, Dire excepted.

Never mind, Fred. I'm sure the £40 million you just made from selling out will go some towards alleviating the terrible grief you must feel at having been too incompetent to deliver us fans a trophy.

mackems.gif

Aye, the golden era of trophy winning all came to an abrupt halt in 1992

" i feel that we have acheived a lot since 1992"

we just finished 13th!! we were going downhill!!

suggest you go and look at the 1992 league table son

I think he done his best, his problem was he didn't have someone who knows the football World on the board to help them out with football decisions, he also let his heart rule his head at times when it came to backing the manager.

He wasn't popular over the brothel scandal but not many had a problem with the way the club was being run until he employed Souness, that started the downward spiral for the club both on the pitch and financially and he struggles to turn it around, would Allardyce of turned it around under Shepherd? I think he would of but we'll never know now.

Thank the Lord for a sensible post ........

Thank the Lord for a sensible post ........

Are you turning to religion in these difficult times?

did you ever have a sense of humour ?

You must be shitting yourself that Ashley may not match the 3 consecutive top 5 finishes that we did for the first time in 50 years.

Whatever will you say if it transpires that Shepherd wasn't holding the club back from world glory after all ?

mackems.gif

Anyway, your mate macbeth is back, predictably, telling us all that 1m quid a season would have massively changed the clubs fortunes, so you can play at being his monkey again

You must be shitting yourself that Ashley may not match the 3 consecutive top 5 finishes that we did for the first time in 50 years.

Whatever will you say if it transpires that Shepherd wasn't holding the club back from world glory after all ?

mackems.gif

Anyway, your mate macbeth is back, predictably, telling us all that 1m quid a season would have massively changed the clubs fortunes, so you can play at being his monkey again

I'm not shitting myself at all that Ashley might not match 3 consecutive top 5 finishes, are you?  As for how well we'll do, I'll wait and see how it goes, even if we don't match the 3 top 5's, it doesn't mean Shepherd wasn't holding the club back, remember the club he took over in 2nd place and left in 13th with an average league position while he was chairman of less than 9th and a record of having been beaten by Doug Ellis in a head to head of league finishes.

Put a link up to show where Macbeth has said that as extra £1 million a season would "make a massive difference."  You might be right about him saying that but I can't remember it.

mackems.gif

I'm not shitting myself at all that Ashley might not match 3 consecutive top 5 finishes, are you? 

minimum requirement, wouldn't you agree ? How can he be even "as good as " if he doesn't match the best effort ?

This is also the level that you and all the other anti Shepherd whatever he does bashers have insisted is ours by right, and would be if not for his presence.

As for how well we'll do, I'll wait and see how it goes, even if we don't match the 3 top 5's, it doesn't mean Shepherd wasn't holding the club back,

this is precisely what you have been saying, and you know it.

remember the club he took over in 2nd place and left in 13th with an average league position while he was chairman of less than 9th and a record of having been beaten by Doug Ellis in a head to head of league finishes.

5th best average, and qualified more for europe than every other club bar 4, fact.

Put a link up to show where Macbeth has said that as extra £1 million a season would "make a massive difference."  You might be right about him saying that but I can't remember it.

Well, you must be blind. Its been picked up by another poster in this very thread.

mackems.gif

I'm not shitting myself at all that Ashley might not match 3 consecutive top 5 finishes, are you? 

minimum requirement, wouldn't you agree ? How can he be even "as good as " if he doesn't match the best effort ?

This is also the level that you and all the other anti Shepherd whatever he does bashers have insisted is ours by right, and would be if not for his presence.

As for how well we'll do, I'll wait and see how it goes, even if we don't match the 3 top 5's, it doesn't mean Shepherd wasn't holding the club back,

this is precisely what you have been saying, and you know it.

remember the club he took over in 2nd place and left in 13th with an average league position while he was chairman of less than 9th and a record of having been beaten by Doug Ellis in a head to head of league finishes.

5th best average, and qualified more for europe than every other club bar 4, fact.

Well, you must be blind. Its been picked up by another poster in this very thread.

The minimum record to beat is actually an average league position of 9.4 over 10 league seasons and an average points total of 53.4, that's what Shepherd achieved while Chairman.

Another link request, this time to any post on this forum where anybody has claimed that we have a right to anything.  Where have I said that we have to get 3 top 5 positions under anybody to prove that Shepherd wasn't holding us back?

I've just been through "this very thread" a few times and I can't even see a post where Macbeth has posted or been mentioned until you did it, my browser must be shite.