Owen's get out clause expires on Tuesday - Shepherd

lovejoy

Considering he said there was NO "get out clause" originally, shows that you can't trust him.

I wish people would stop saying this. NO he didn't

He did say it on that YouTube video, in fairness. Not that I'd advocate our chairman spilling his guts to some Smoggie-Scouse mongs in a van, like. The clause was publicly denied though, was it not? (Elsewhere?)

He initially publicly denied there was a clause for him to leave a year after he signed, but said that there are clauses.

AS for the youtube video, he can hardly be held to that, and in fact he said "He can't leave for £9million" - which itook as meaning the clause is higher than 9 - which it is, 9.5

At least this looks like something which we'll get a definitive answer to, unlike most debates on here.

I suppose all we can do is wait until next Summer and see what happens then.

Aside from that, the CL only thing is a gamble the club would have had to take to even get Owen to come at all. It's not hard to see how we could have been so desperate to get him that the contract would be ridiculously tilted in his favour, Shepherd admits to as much today.

There was no public admittance of the clause until Allardyce came and Shepherd was as good as gone though, so that has nowt to do with anything really. Plus, as I've already said, Owen was injured for almost 12 months in June - which meant he couldn't have gone anywhere anyway, meaning the clause was as good as void anyway because no bugger was going to buy him after the Sweden game.

Of course it's speculation, but it seems the most logical to me, what you're arguing has no basis in fact either. The Owen/Liverpool thing isn't worth a jot either, it was years ago man, he's been there and done that - ever looked at it that way? Why would he want to play WAFFA Cup football again when he's never done the biggest thing and won the CL?

How is it not based on fact? What are the facts again? We've been told he has a clause which was trigged when we didn't achieve European football, and that's all we've been told. We've now been told that ends on 31st July, which sounds to me like it was for this year only, and that logically means as long as we get European football next season the clause wont be triggered again. I'm not guessing what went before to guess what might happen after, just what we've been told about it so far from FS and the original slip that FS reacted too, and the latest news about it running out.

This clause going down in price was only paper talk and has not been backed up by anyone reliable so far.

Considering he said there was NO "get out clause" originally, shows that you can't trust him.

I wish people would stop saying this. NO he didn't

He did say it on that YouTube video, in fairness. Not that I'd advocate our chairman spilling his guts to some Smoggie-Scouse mongs in a van, like. The clause was publicly denied though, was it not? (Elsewhere?)

He initially publicly denied there was a clause for him to leave a year after he signed, but said that there are clauses.

AS for the youtube video, he can hardly be held to that, and in fact he said "He can't leave for £9million" - which itook as meaning the clause is higher than 9 - which it is, 9.5

Is it defo £9.5M? Or is this more of that famed "speculation" stuff?

At least this looks like something which we'll get a definitive answer to, unlike most debates on here.

Aside from that, the CL only thing is a gamble the club would have had to take to even get Owen to come at all. It's not hard to see how we could have been so desperate to get him that the contract would be ridiculously tilted in his favour, Shepherd admits to as much today.

There was no public admittance of the clause until Allardyce came and Shepherd was as good as gone though, so that has nowt to do with anything really. Plus, as I've already said, Owen was injured for almost 12 months in June - which meant he couldn't have gone anywhere anyway, meaning the clause was as good as void anyway because no bugger was going to buy him after the Sweden game.

Of course it's speculation, but it seems the most logical to me, what you're arguing has no basis in fact either. The Owen/Liverpool thing isn't worth a jot either, it was years ago man, he's been there and done that - ever looked at it that way? Why would he want to play WAFFA Cup football again when he's never done the biggest thing and won the CL?

How is it not based on fact? What are the facts again? We've been told he has a clause which was trigged when we didn't achieve European football, and that's all we've been told. We've now been told that ends on 31st July, which sounds to me like it was for this year only, and that logically means as long as we get European football next season the clause wont be triggered again. I'm not guessing what went before to guess what might happen after, just what we've been told about it so far from FS and the original slip that FS reacted too, and the latest news about it running out.

This clause going down in price was only paper talk and has not been backed up by anyone reliable so far.

"How is it not based on fact?"

• You are arguing based on speculation, much like myself, albeit speculation that says different. You said what I was arguing on was "all speculation", which it is, but like I've already said so is everything that you're using to back-up your argument.

"What are the facts again?"/"July 31st"

• The facts are that Owen has a minimum release clause in his contract and that the clause becomes void on August 1st 2007. The contentious issue is whether it becomes void for good or void for another season. Shepherd himself says that this means Owen has to stay "another year" - nothing at all about the clause itself being terminated for good, which makes it look more likely that the clause will re-surface next summer.

'European Football'/'Champions League'

• Again, all speculation. You surely cannot knock my opinion for using "paper talk" and then say "everything we've been told says 'European Football', not 'Champions League'" when "everything we've been told" will have been through the media as well?

"As long as we get European Football the clause won't be triggered again"

• This is one thing you might have right, I can't deny that, as it's the main bone of contention here. Of course we'll probably get the answer to this someway down the line, but for now I'm not sure how it can be entirely "logical" to argue what you have done when Shepherd mentioned the "another year" line and when you take into account the clause was still rumoured at £13M or so when we qualified for the Intertoto in 2006 (before Owen got crocked at the WC.)

"The clause going down in price..."

• Again, I can't argue that this couldn't be bollocks, but to me it seems a likely/sensible solution to the clauses. It ties in with what some media outlets have reported on the Owen deal since the early days, but like you say we don't have any concrete evidence either way. It does strike me as funny that he has around an alleged £9M release clause two years into his deal, though, after initial reports of around £13M before the 2006 World Cup. Again, we won't know the facts on this until the summer, which is a pain in the arse.

"Shepherd"

• I can't help but smile that we're both using Fat Fred as a reliable source here, either, after some of his past words/actions :lol:

"How is it not based on fact?"

• You are arguing based on speculation, much like myself, albeit speculation that says different. You said what I was arguing on was "all speculation", which it is, but like I've already said so is everything that you're using to back-up your argument.

"What are the facts again?"/"July 31st"

• The facts are that Owen has a minimum release clause in his contract and that the clause becomes void on August 1st 2007. The contentious issue is whether it becomes void for good or void for another season. Shepherd himself says that this means Owen has to stay "another year" - nothing at all about the clause itself being terminated for good, which makes it look more likely that the clause will re-surface next summer.

'European Football'/'Champions League'

• Again, all speculation. You surely cannot knock my opinion for using "paper talk" and then say "everything we've been told says 'European Football', not 'Champions League'" when "everything we've been told" will have been through the media as well?

"As long as we get European Football the clause won't be triggered again"

• This is one thing you might have right, I can't deny that, as it's the main bone of contention here. Of course we'll probably get the answer to this someway down the line, but for now I'm not sure how it can be entirely "logical" to argue what you have done when Shepherd mentioned the "another year" line and when you take into account the clause was still rumoured at £13M or so when we qualified for the Intertoto in 2006 (before Owen got crocked at the WC.)

"The clause going down in price..."

• Again, I can't argue that this couldn't be bollocks, but to me it seems a likely/sensible solution to the clauses. It ties in with what some media outlets have reported on the Owen deal since the early days, but like you say we don't have any concrete evidence either way. It does strike me as funny that he has around an alleged £9M release clause two years into his deal, though, after initial reports of around £13M before the 2006 World Cup. Again, we won't know the facts on this until the summer, which is a pain in the arse.

"Shepherd"

• I can't help but smile that we're both using Fat Fred as a reliable source here, either, after some of his past words/actions :lol:

So in a nutshell its all speculation that we won't be able to crack properly until one of us see the contract itself!  :lol:

I know FS was desperate to bring him here, but a clause like the one you are suggesting just puts the man on another level of thickness, and i simply cannot believe he'd do that to the club. The one im suggesting is bad enough, yours is pitch fork time (or it would be if we got an injury free Owen instead of the crock we have)

In fairness, I did say about half an hour ago that we won't know for sure until Shepherd says more/Owen leaves/someone else "reliable" spills the beans.

Shepherd has admitted today that they pretty much had to do everything to get Owen here and that he wouldn't have signed the contract without that clause in it. I would actually hate the know the full details of the contract because I bet it is actually a good deal worse than what we've been allowed to know. He will be getting paid more than we think he is, his bonuses will be absolutely sky-high and there'll be some other things in there, no doubt, that would make your toes curl. How could you put it past the club? Especially when it was done under FFS/Souness?

Why would Mort/Allardyce be so annoyed with the clauses otherwise?

I know you'll never agree, but I think that in this case that thinking the worst is probably more logical than hoping it isn't as bad as it could be. Like I said, we'll find out one day, sooner rather than later.

It really has been a complete disaster, though. The whole ordeal.

In fairness, I did say about half an hour ago that we won't know for sure until Shepherd says more/Owen leaves/someone else "reliable" spills the beans.

Shepherd has admitted today that they pretty much had to do everything to get Owen here and that he wouldn't have signed the contract without that clause in it. I would actually hate the know the full details of the contract because I bet it is actually a good deal worse than what we've been allowed to know. He will be getting paid more than we think he is, his bonuses will be absolutely sky-high and there'll be some other things in there, no doubt, that would make your toes curl. How could you put it past the club? Especially when it was done under FFS/Souness?

Why would Mort/Allardyce be so annoyed with the clauses otherwise?

I know you'll never agree, but I think that in this case that thinking the worst is probably more logical than hoping it isn't as bad as it could be. Like I said, we'll find out one day, sooner rather than later.

It really has been a complete disaster, though. The whole ordeal.

The whole Owen saga has pissed my off from the start. Everything about it. His injury at the WC pissed my clean off considering he went to the WC unfit and shouldn't of gone (whole other argument) then to be injured all season only to find that we risk losing him for pittance just about made me want to kill him. Him not even coming to NUFC for several weeks at a time, not even meeting Martins until March riled me more, and all this time were paying more for him in wages than any other player in NUFC history. Not to mention his love affair with England and never even mentioning the club who pays his wages on a regular basis.

100% utter cunt. I cannot stand him. So instead of thinking on how much worse this can be and putting myself six feet under, i hope and pray that this really is as worse as it gets. There are no more surprise as this fuker has had us over a barrel as much as any player the club has had the misfortune to sign.

My only saving grace is the £10m payoff from the FA.

Basically I think Owen will be off next summer unless we really look like we mean business - ie top 6 minimum - regardless of the terms of the clause. If he really wants a move he can just ask for a transfer anyway, so the clause won't mean a lot other than we won't get a big price for him (again this would have happened anyway, Liverpool only got £8m for Owen due to his contract).

On a sidenote, I think he'll have been pretty underwhelmed at the fact we have a smaller squad than last season and a threadbare defence yet again. Most of us fans are and one or two players have come out and said the same. Owen will be looking for ambition, and Allardyce's ambition simply hasn't been backed by his chairman/owner to date.

The good news is he won't be leaving in January, if Shepherd is telling the truth about the terms of the clause.

Guest optimistic nit

Why is he releasing this information though? Is he trying to tell other clubs to get in before Tuesday as a last act of revenge?

no.

i think every agent going will know about the clause, and when it expires etc, so it will be nothing new to them.

doubt it. why would the club or owen mention when it expires?

Guest thenorthumbrian

It's difficult to know who would sign Owen, the top 4 have been rumoured to be interested but that all it was  - rumours, not one of the biger clubs would want a player who is so fragile when it comes to injuries.

If Owen stays and keeps fit and scores goals - great, if he goes I won't be sorry, the whole saga with Owen and Newcastle is like having a toothache which just won't go away.

Trust Shepherd to forget the date of a major clause as big as that. You could imagine if he'd have still been there this summer, the clause expiring June 30th, meaning he could sell him for anything, or not sell him at all, but then selling him for £9m mid-July because he forgot the right date. :lol:

Considering the Times didn't even know who scored yesterday i expect that's a typo, and Fred probably knows what he's talking about since he put the clause in.

Edit: trust me to put a typo in that post \o/ - today

That was Times Online who reported the match report earlier,  and it looked like they nicked it from the PA.

Given Owen has a contract with the Times for his column,  and they first reported the clause, i'd assume the info is correct.