Faye signs three year deal

STM

Guest LondonMag

we need squad depth,as a roll player - Faye is very good addition.and if Belleti will come it will  be very good summer is the transfer market.

if we can snatch another player in the last day of the window it will be brilliant

we need squad depth,as a roll player - Faye is very good addition.and if Belleti will come it will  be very good summer is the transfer market.

if we can snatch another player in the last day of the window it will be brilliant

?? :lol: :lol:

?? :lol: :lol:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9825/39806599keanegi245x300bj2.jpg

?

I was thinking yesterday while watching the game that we could do with another defensive midfielder...

Or another CB.

No, I don't remember thinking that yesterday.

With Taylor's performance, I definitely did.

I was thinking yesterday while watching the game that we could do with another defensive midfielder...

Or another CB.

No, I don't remember thinking that yesterday.

With Taylor's performance, I definitely did.

And a fair few on here wanted him as captain. :jesuswept:

I know, I know. I vouched for Given.

Stevie T doesn't have anything "extra" about him at all to make him worthy of first-team status at the minute and looks miles behind Rozehnal, he needs more competition in and around him and Faye will hopefully bring that. He's got a long way to go before I'll be completely confident with him being in the side, but I have faith that he'll still be a fantastic player as he gets older.

He needs to improve his distribution/confidence on the ball more than anything though, at the minute he's simply a "blocker" in that he gets to most aerial balls/cuts things out/hoofs it clear, Woodgate and now Rozehnal both had that appearance of having an extra second of time to work in, where Taylor always looks very hasty and rushed. He and Nicky Butt were guilty of numerous lobs up the park yesterday, and Viduka didn't win a thing from them.

At home it's handy if you have centre-halves who can bring the ball out/play a bit, because it opens up space further ahead if they're causing people to come and close them down. It's pointless banging constant balls into two walls of 9 players and hoping for the best, we've been doing that for too long and it's been found out.

thought Taylor was easily better than Rozehnal yesterday. Rozzy "looked" good but was actually lost out in challenges about half the time. a premiership defender is expected to have a success rate close to 100% when they commit themselves. if you don't think you can win, then don't commit yourself but try to contain the danger, get goalside, shepherd the ball out, close down options and so on. if the opposition forward tries to make you commit by barging into you then you simply have to be strong enough to cope with it. rozehnal was being tossed around by Agbonlahor who you'd have to consider one of the weaker players in the league. i think he looks classy and has pace, but he needs to get to grips much better with the physical element of the game. there was also his forays upfield, which in some situations will be a great asset, but it also left Taylor with extra work as he was covering for two.

Taylor on the other hand had some shaky moments where it was tight, but ultimately he came out on top every time. He lost a header or two to john carew but most defenders in the league will as well. the only blot in his copybook would be the silly time he was caught in possession.

At this moment in time i wouldn't consider either of them anything special, relative to the calibre of centre-halves you find at other clubs.

Guest firetotheworks

thought Taylor was easily better than Rozehnal yesterday. Rozzy "looked" good but was actually lost out in challenges about half the time. a premiership defender is expected to have a success rate close to 100% when they commit themselves. if you don't think you can win, then don't commit yourself but try to contain the danger, get goalside, shepherd the ball out, close down options and so on. if the opposition forward tries to make you commit by barging into you then you simply have to be strong enough to cope with it. rozehnal was being tossed around by Agbonlahor who you'd have to consider one of the weaker players in the league. i think he looks classy and has pace, but he needs to get to grips much better with the physical element of the game. there was also his forays upfield, which in some situations will be a great asset, but it also left Taylor with extra work as he was covering for two.

Taylor on the other hand had some shaky moments where it was tight, but ultimately he came out on top every time. He lost a header or two to john carew but most defenders in the league will as well. the only blot in his copybook would be the silly time he was caught in possession.

At this moment in time i wouldn't consider either of them anything special, relative to the calibre of centre-halves you find at other clubs.

I disagree with Taylor being better than Roz yesterday like. Roz always looked comfortable on the ball, calm and composted and didnt make any rash challenges, he positioned himself well and shepherded villa players away or intercepted when the time was needed. He lost his marker once when Laursen got that header in and that does need to be improved upon. I like Taylor a lot but he dallied on the ball too often, lacked urgency in some of clearances and in one instance played a ball with backspin at chest to nicky butt who was 10 yards away and being marked. I dont think he played badly overall, but out of the two Rozenhal looked like the one in control.

Defence wasnt the problem yeterday.

no, it wasn't. It wasn't last season either, it was retention of the ball and giving it away cheaply in attacking positions particularly.

yesterday it was obvious that Viduka was the main outlet for the "wall pass", but when you play like this you need someone to run past you, or a breaker from midfield with pace, especially when he shows himself deep for a shorter ball. This is the style that Allardyce is going to play, and it does work with such players. Martins played too wide, when zoggy moves back into midfield, he may play more inside.

Smith and Geremi don't work in midfield, there is no creativity, but Smith got into the box a few times, and I think Geremi will move when Barton is back. Ironically, Dire would suit this system well, but I'm glad he's gone, I hope we repalce him with a player with pace. All this outlines is our lack of depth, or the need for another attacking midfield player.

Our main threats were zoggy when he moved forward, and Milners crossing was very good, most of his balls from both sides were right into the danger areas, but on the day Viduka was well held - and fouled - by the Villa centre backs, he won't come up against that every week and also only needs to get to such good crosses 2 or 3 times per game and he would put one in.

no, it wasn't. It wasn't last season either, it was retention of the ball and giving it away cheaply in attacking positions particularly.

yesterday it was obvious that Viduka was the main outlet for the "wall pass", but when you play like this you need someone to run past you, or a breaker from midfield with pace, especially when he shows himself deep for a shorter ball. This is the style that Allardyce is going to play, and it does work with such players. Martins played too wide, when zoggy moves back into midfield, he may play more inside.

Smith and Geremi don't work in midfield, there is no creativity, but Smith got into the box a few times, and I think Geremi will move when Barton is back. Ironically, Dire would suit this system well, but I'm glad he's gone, I hope we repalce him with a player with pace. All this outlines is our lack of depth, or the need for another attacking midfield player.

Our main threats were zoggy when he moved forward, and Milners crossing was very good, most of his balls from both sides were right into the danger areas, but on the day Viduka was well held - and fouled - by the Villa centre backs, he won't come up against that every week and also only needs to get to such good crosses 2 or 3 times per game and he would put one in.

I can't remember any crosses from Milner into the box yesterday, certainly none dangerous.

Our problem was clear to see yesterday, no creativity through the middle and none of Smith, Geremi or Butt being prepared to bring the ball forward, they were happy either passing it back or lumping it long.

I'm afraid to say but Smith is Dyer's replacement.

I can't remember any crosses from Milner into the box yesterday, certainly none dangerous.

Our problem was clear to see yesterday, no creativity through the middle and none of Smith, Geremi or Butt being prepared to bring the ball forward, they were happy either passing it back or lumping it long.

Second half Milner worked the left flank quite well. They doubled up on him loads though as he was clearly the only player getting into dangerous crossing positions.

You cant say Smith is the replacement until Sept 1st either.

Second half Milner worked the left flank quite well. They doubled up on him loads though as he was clearly the only player getting into dangerous crossing positions.

You cant say Smith is the replacement until Sept 1st either.

Like I said, I don't remember any dangerous crosses coming in, he did do his usual trick of trying to beat the same man 3 times though, very annoying.

In fact all of the midfield and attack were shit yesterday, they created absolutely fuck all and our only real chance came from Rozehnal.

Allardyce said Dyer's replacement would be revealed tomorrow, the next day we signed Smith so it's safe to say he's his replacement in terms of squad numbers, hopefully the lack of creativity in the centre of midfield so far this season will encourage him to dip back into the transfer market, he's said he wants a replacement for Solano if he goes so fingers crossed he'll get someone decent.

I would find it very, very, very hard to agree with that analysis of Taylor's performance yesterday, much as I would like to.

Sums up my thoughts entirely. Rozehnal didn't take enough responsibility in my eyes, both in dealing with danger and clearing the ball safely. He was hoofing balls in the air as much as anyone. Too early to judge him, but to see him get praise and Taylor get criticism is totally unfair when Taylor was always in the right places and playing it out along the floor. Rozehnal has been careful to play it along the ground in pre-season, but being closed down in the Premiership he was as quick as anyone to resort to the long ball, which was a bit disappointing. Basically I think he's getting the benefit of the doubt because he's a new signing, so Taylor becomes the scapegoat (even though we kept a clean sheet). Some of the criticism I've read of Taylor in recent days has been totally disproportionate to his performances, it seems some people just don't like him.