Why did Ashley buy NUFC?

Guest Invicta_Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

Why do you think he's bought us Vic, any opinion on the matter yourself?

I'm not sure if he sees NUFC as one of his businesses or not. The answer rests on that tbh. I hope it is as a hobby, he is happy to make a profit or a loss, as per his comments regarding the difference between your lifestyle as a millionaire and a billionaire, then we might get somewhere. The idea that NUFC is just leverage for brand in his empire doesn't sit well with me, but neither does the idea that he is here to make money specifically from football, because he is then clearly nuts. Also, if he was after long term investment, it's hardly a safe bet is it? Then again, he got a C in his economics O level.

who came out with the line 'what's the best way to become a millionaire?, become a billionaire and buy a football club'?

Wow, an opinion. Good stuff. Impressed.

Thing that does confuse me, not just about Mike Ashley, but people investing in football clubs in general, yes there's lots of money there, players and managers can make a fortune, but for business people, it's small fry compared to more regular commerce, I bet "Mr Tesco" could buy every club in the Premiership from a year's profit. Huge risks and generally small profit unless it's Man United.

I would expect he's probably got involved for the same reasons Lerner did - have a bit of fun, probably make a bit of money too.

Incidentally, according to a board member today, Randy Lerner has recently had the Villa badge tattooed on his ankle, which for us has proved beyond all doubt the soundness of his motives.

I mean, have you seen how fucking shit our new badge looks?

I would expect he's probably got involved for the same reasons Lerner did - have a bit of fun, probably make a bit of money too.

Incidentally, according to a board member today, Randy Lerner has recently had the Villa badge tattooed on his ankle, which for us has proved beyond all doubt he also suffers from a mental illness much like Ashley.

I mean, have you seen how fucking shit our new badge looks?

Incidentally, according to a board member today, Randy Lerner has recently had the Villa badge tattooed on his ankle, which for us has proved beyond all doubt the soundness of his motives.

I mean, have you seen how f****** s*** our new badge looks?

I've been told Ashley has ours on his arse, beat that.

I mean, have you seen how f****** s*** our new badge looks?

I've been told Ashley has ours on his arse, beat that.

Perfect for when he shits all over us [/pessimism]

i think it was chez had the idea that ashley bought nufc to use as a vehicle for the furtherment of some of his other businesses (present and maybe future).naturally a succesful would help the profile of the others more than a failing club

so none of the above for me.

Mick, who is the foxy bird in your sig?

It's Melissa Theroux (SP), French news reader extraordinaire.

Nice try, it's Theuriau.

Whatever her name, I admire your taste, Mick...!

Getting a bit long in the tooth(and don't have the necessary money!)to be chasing talent like this, but she's a stunner right enough - I'll have to start taking more Emu Oil.....!!

i think it was chez had the idea that ashley bought nufc to use as a vehicle for the furtherment of some of his other businesses (present and maybe future).naturally a succesful would help the profile of the others more than a failing club

so none of the above for me.

There is that. There is also high-definition broadband TV waiting in the wings. Ashley wants to build a company worth £4bn and to do that he needs a promotional vehicle into markets in Europe, Asia and the US as he said in that article. If we are successful, we will become one of the ways he does that. Imo. 

Buying NUFC for a hooby / fun might fit for some people...... But remember he doesn't want a public profile or media attention, and in England buying a football club would probably be the worst possible way of acheiving that  ;D, so there must be another reason, which i have no clue to what it is...

Guest Gemmill

I'm not sure if he sees NUFC as one of his businesses or not. The answer rests on that tbh. I hope it is as a hobby, he is happy to make a profit or a loss, as per his comments regarding the difference between your lifestyle as a millionaire and a billionaire, then we might get somewhere. The idea that NUFC is just leverage for brand in his empire doesn't sit well with me, but neither does the idea that he is here to make money specifically from football, because he is then clearly nuts. Also, if he was after long term investment, it's hardly a safe bet is it? Then again, he got a C in his economics O level.

who came out with the line 'what's the best way to become a millionaire?, become a billionaire and buy a football club'?

Read the article which was posted earlier where he says that he can't even spend the interest he's making, it looks like he just had money and decided that a football club was something he felt he wanted, I've got no idea if it's an ego trip or a possible income stream but we'll find out.

Can someone link me to this article please?  Missed it.  Ta.

...if he is not prepared to back the manager in the transfer market. It is staring everyone in the face that we need to bring in 2 or 3 quality defenders yet we watch other clubs picking up or bidding for the likes of Shorey, Baines, Chiellini etc. Now we are told they are going to flog Oba. Do we really have no money ?

If Ashley and Co fuck this one up, i'm seriously considering turning my back on football!

Too much money and time has been invested to carry on supporting such a tin pot organisation!

With the support the club has, you'd expect us to be up there each year for the title, but no!

So if the window shuts and I don't see any improvement, i'm going to take up golf!

Guest Gemmill

If Ashley and Co fuck this one up, i'm seriously considering turning my back on football!

:lol:  I'm sure they're redoubling their efforts at this tragic news.  Get a fucking grip man.