Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest LucasUnger

would only like him here if it we a) cant't get Gudjohnson and b) still get 3 defenders in by the end of next week.

My point wasn't that he should stay, Tron. My point was that Man Utd don't want him as they have better players up front and better players in midfield. So do we. If I were him i'd be choosing somewhere where I was probably going to be first choice.

I would, too. I wouldn't fancy going somewhere else I was going to spend half my time sat on my arse on the bench and the other half out of position.

Of the clubs that have come in for him, there's really only Sunderland and Boro where he would be fairly assured of getting a regular game.  But that's like being asked to choose between lethal injection or hanging.

Nice analogy. Personally I would choose drowning(Everton) as I hear its a lovely way to kick the bucket

Guest sicko2ndbest

Maybe related to the Martins story.

We buy Smith for 6mil, sell Martins for 13mill = 7mil profit, and still a cracking forward line

7mil to buy defenders!

My point wasn't that he should stay, Tron. My point was that Man Utd don't want him as they have better players up front and better players in midfield. So do we. If I were him i'd be choosing somewhere where I was probably going to be first choice.

That's not how players think though. In Smith's mind he's probably better than Steven Gerrard, and the fact we have made a bid for £6m will probably make him think he's going to be playing first team football. Especially as we are supposedly hard up so why would we spend £6m to put a player on the bench?

Think of Ben Haim and why he went to Chelsea. Players who have anything about them will always think they will be good enough to hold down a 1st team spot.

We buy Smith for 6mil, sell Martins for 13mill = 7mil profit, and still a cracking forward line

7mil to buy defenders!

It's pretty obvious that it's related to Dyer, isn't it?

Touché. But as I said to Gemmill, he'll have thought the same when he went to Man Utd i'm sure. That didn't work out, I'd have thought he'd be looking a bit closer who he was competing against this time.

I wouldn't even take him for half that amount.

His goal ratio is disgusting and he's always injured.

Apart from one serious injury his record isnt bad. He hasnt played up front for Man Utd often enough to assess whether his goal record is disgusting or not. Similarly at Leeds he was used on the wing/right of three. Never going to be prolific but it should be assumed his role here will be in midfield given our options up front.

Not a bad player but as has been mentioned elsewhere, the pace is going from the team. Its easy for the mongs on the board to drag their knuckles whilst that happens though. Not so easy to recruit anyone with real pace though - something top teams now have and we dont.

7mil to buy defenders!

If we sell Martins for 13m what would be the point in buying fucking Smith. We'd still have a cracking foward line anyway so the money might aswell go on someone decent otherwise we've just wasted half the cash and lost one of our best players.

Apart from one serious injury his record isnt bad. He hasnt played up front for Man Utd often enough to assess whether his goal record is disgusting or not. Similarly at Leeds he was used on the wing/right of three. Never going to be prolific but it should be assumed his role here will be in midfield given our options up front.

Not a bad player but as has been mentioned elsewhere, the pace is going from the team. Its easy for the mongs on the board to drag their knuckles whilst that happens though. Not so easy to recruit anyone with real pace though - something top teams now have and we dont.

He played upfront about 70% of his Leeds career and scored about 20 goals in 4 seasons or something as shite as that. He's a terrible midfielder and we have better on the books. His pace is all but gone after his last injury, he brings nothing to the table apart from a nasty streak a mile wide. We don't need him upfront (and even if we did sell Martins or Owen i'd want better than this) and we don't need him in midfield, SAF stuck with him there longer than he should of, the rest of the team carried him, it was a godsend for Manu he broke his leg.

He played upfront about 70% of his Leeds career and scored about 20 goals in 4 seasons or something as s**** as that. He's a terrible midfielder and we have better on the books. His pace is all but gone after his last injury, he brings nothing to the table apart from a nasty streak a mile wide. We don't need him upfront (and even if we did sell Martins or Owen i'd want better than this) and we don't need him in midfield, SAF stuck with him there longer than he should of, the rest of the team carried him, it was a godsend for Manu he broke his leg.

I'd been trying to remember the French for "late" all morning until I read that. Cheers.

Guest Toon83

Alan Smith may not have the best goals to game ratio, but he is exactly the type of player that newcastle needs at the moment, he gives 100% everytime he steps on the pitch and has a point to prove, plus he can play in a few positions, midfield and up front which is vital to us as we already have a small squad

Guest Gemmill

He played upfront about 70% of his Leeds career and scored about 20 goals in 4 seasons or something as shite as that. He's a terrible midfielder and we have better on the books. His pace is all but gone after his last injury, he brings nothing to the table apart from a nasty streak a mile wide. We don't need him upfront (and even if we did sell Martins or Owen i'd want better than this) and we don't need him in midfield, SAF stuck with him there longer than he should of, the rest of the team carried him, it was a godsend for Manu he broke his leg.

You're going WAY over the top in your criticism of him tbh.  He's nowhere near the absolute shithouse you're making him out to be.  He's a decent Premiership player and would be a good addition to the squad.  You make him out to be a less talented version of Sibierski with a bad attitude.

"Alan Smith may not have the best goals to game ratio, but he is exactly the type of player that newcastle needs at the moment, he gives 100% everytime he steps on the pitch and has a point to prove, plus he can play in a few positions, midfield and up front which is vital to us as we already have a small squad"

problem is he is S**T in all the positions he can play.

You're going WAY over the top in your criticism of him tbh.  He's nowhere near the absolute shithouse you're making him out to be.  He's a decent Premiership player and would be a good addition to the squad.  You make him out to be a less talented version of Sibierski with a bad attitude.

I've said nothing that not true. He's not a midfielder, he was poor and holding Manu back when playing in centre park for them. Upfront he's nothing more than worker, someone to assist as he very rarely gets amongst the goals. So where are we supposed to be buying him for? Its not going to be up front unless one of our strikers is leaving and if we replace Owen a natural goalscorer, or Martins natural pace and strength, with Smith who has none of that, then we really are down grading big style. If he's to replace Dyer, i'd rather keep Dyer, and i hate the prick.

Guest Gemmill

I've said nothing that not true. He's not a midfielder, he was poor and holding Manu back when playing in centre park for them. Upfront he's nothing more than worker, someone to assist as he very rarely gets amongst the goals. So where are we supposed to be buying him for? Its not going to be up front unless one of our strikers is leaving and if we replace Owen a natural goalscorer, or Martins natural pace and strength, with Smith who has none of that, then we really are down grading big style. If he's to replace Dyer, i'd rather keep Dyer, and i hate the prick.

He's not REPLACING anyone.  He's an ADDITION to the squad.  Why can't people get their head around the concept of building a squad of players to allow us some rotation/cover?  There are games and situations where a player like Smith could be well employed both up front or in midfield.  It's called having options.

He's not REPLACING anyone.  He's an ADDITION to the squad.  Why can't people get their head around the concept of building a squad of players to allow us some rotation/cover?  There are games and situations where a player like Smith could be well employed both up front or in midfield.  It's called having options.

:thup:

Still, wouldn't mind some defenders.

If were splashing out £6m on ADDITIONS to the squad then Alan Smith would be about 250th on the list of players who we need right now.

Scraping around for coins down the sofa so we can bring in defenders then spending £6m on Smith.

Aye, perfect sense that is.

Guest nufc_geordie

This is the sort of signing that has made Big Sam his name over the past few years. A garaunteed hard grafter, who contrary to some of the comments on this board, has ability both upfront and in midfield. Would be an excellent addition to our PAPER THIN squad.

He played upfront about 70% of his Leeds career and scored about 20 goals in 4 seasons or something as s**** as that. He's a terrible midfielder and we have better on the books. His pace is all but gone after his last injury, he brings nothing to the table apart from a nasty streak a mile wide. We don't need him upfront (and even if we did sell Martins or Owen i'd want better than this) and we don't need him in midfield, SAF stuck with him there longer than he should of, the rest of the team carried him, it was a godsend for Manu he broke his leg.

True enough. Our forward line is always going to be prone to injury so cover there isnt a bad thing. Not a bad player at all. Too many go way over the top in their 'assessments' of players. One minute Dyer is complete shit but the next Smith is even worse. Thank fuck they never saw Pat Heard. Worries me about the lack of pace in the squad but maybe we will find that elsewhere. We need to.