Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think he could be good as an attacking midfielder in a three man midfield. However, when played as a midfielder at Man U they tried to use him as a holding midfielder in the Roy Keane mould which was silly. He has a good motor and is a good tidy passer of the ball and has a decent shot on him. He should do well as an attacking MF for us, should we play him there.

I like Alan Smith, and i've said that before. I think if he were to keep himself fully fit, and play 38 games in one Premier League season, he'd hit the 15 goals boundary. But.

Strikers: Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins, Albert Luque, Shola Ameobi, Andy Carroll

Defenders: Celestine Babayaro, Steven Taylor, Peter Ramage, David Rozehnal, Stephen Carr (not counting Edgar and Huntington)

Minimal budget, apparantely.

£6m on Smith.

It just doesn't make sense, for me. We do not need Alan Smith. Not slating the player's footballing ability, but this signing makes the Damien Duff one look sensible. We've got six strikers. Potentially the finest first five striking options that the Premiership has to offer outside the top 4. Shola Ameobi as fifth choice? That's fucking superb.

Midds' post was a more level-headed one, but i still really don't see the point in blowing £6m on Smith. £3m, and Midds' post makes slightly more sense, because it's bolstering an already very good squad for not much cash.

Good news imo. At last a player with guts and a similar determination to win as Bellamy.

Nice thought. Craig Bellamys medal count in the English league at present is zero though.

Whats that got to do with guts and determination ? Think about why we are all having trouble suggesting a club captain. Its because no c*** in our team last year had any spine.

It is the win bit I was pointing out. Bellamy is never going to be captain material and I have no idea what you are harping on about that for. Neither is Smith but  he's nearer than CB. Will to win doesnt mean winner. There are lots of other factors that go into it. Like a brain, teamwork on and off the pitch etc. See Bellamys 'performance' at Wolves in the cup for that determination. He was more concerned with showing their fans his pay cheque than winning a game we had a chance in. Not denying Bellamy tries hard usually but he isnt what this club needs. Spine doesnt mean captain material either. Helps but it isnt the only factor. Agree we do need grafters, just prefer grafters with a bit of talent and the other factors I mentioned earlier. Nb: If CB was here he would have my support. He isnt and tbh I am not upset by it. Others currently at the club come into that category. We replaced Bellamy with better. If we do the same with Dyer then thats fine too. It becomes a problem when we don't and the numbskulls don't consider that he just might be here next season. Smith certainly isnt a like for like.

Doesn't make sense unless its the following:

Sell Martins for £13m

Buy Smith for £6m

Buy defenders for £7m

Not sure I agree with that but its the only way I can make sense of buying Smith.

Guest Gemmill

He's nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be. It's just ridiculous the way some folk go on about potential signings not being good enough for us. He's no world beater, granted, but he'd be a decent squad player and give us a bit of depth. At first glance the fee seems a little high at £6m but compare it to Chopra and Bent it's about the going rate tbh.

Now it looks more and more likely that Dyer is on his way, we'll be one down and he'll need to be replaced. Smith would be an acceptable replacement imo and he'd cost us less in wages.  

Aye, a fair assessment.  And I agree about the way people go on about the players that might come here.  We are a mediocre trophyless club with a nice stadium and good attendances, with no European competition to offer.  All of this seems lost on a good chunk of our fans though. 

So how would spending £6m or whatever on a player who wouldn't improve us be any use at all?

Because he would IMPROVE THE SQUAD.  Fucking hell man, last season and for many seasons, our bench has been packed with "last resorts".  Players you see warming up in games where we're struggling and you just think "If that's who we're bringing on we may as well fucking go home now".  We need some quality on the bench, and some depth to the squad.  Smith would provide that - he's not a world-beater, but he's good back up, he gives us options, and he's someone we can rely on to come in and do a job.  Last season we had Sibierski doing that - are you telling me that Smith isn't an improvement on him?

the only way i can see this making any sense if it's as a replacement for Dyer. offload him (and his massive wages) for £5mill, get in Smith on (hopefully) lower wages for £6mill.

Guest Gemmill

Sell Martins for £13m

Buy Smith for £6m

Buy defenders for £7m

Not sure I agree with that but its the only way I can make sense of buying Smith.

Where are people coming up with the idea that the £6m for Smith comprises our entire transfer fund?

Sell Martins for £13m

Buy Smith for £6m

Buy defenders for £7m

How about sell dyer for £6m, buy Smith for £6m?

Martins definitely isn't going. Check the thread about it

Smith isn't a midfielder, though. If that was the case, we should spend £6m on a midfielder.

Sell Martins for £13m

Buy Smith for £6m

Buy defenders for £7m

Where are people coming up with the idea that the £6m for Smith comprises our entire transfer fund?

I don't think it's that tbh. It's just that £6m can be spent better elsewhere, regardless of how big the budget is.

wasn't Ferguson trying to convert him to an midfielder? or was it more of a Roy Keane type (as i think someone here mentioned) as opposed to an attacking one.

Answered your own question mate! And, as an add-on to that, the plan failed miserably.

Guest Gemmill

Sell Martins for £13m

Buy Smith for £6m

Buy defenders for £7m

I don't think it's that tbh. It's just that £6m can be spent better elsewhere, regardless of how big the budget is.

It's entirely possible that they have other targets identified and would still like to spend £6m on Smith.  Just because we need defenders doesn't mean that every penny in the kitty has to be devoted to them.  Nor does it mean that if we spend £6m on Smith and then fail to attract the defenders that we wanted to, that we blew all of our money on Smith.

Allardyce isn't Roeder.  He's harped on all summer about the necessity to bring defenders in, so he's not about to think "Ah fuck it, let's have Alan Smith instead" is he?

Guest Darth Toon

Really don't see the problem with this - I think Smith is a very good player.

He hasn't played much at all in the last couple of seasons, and had a fair few ropey performances when trying to regain his form after that terrible broken leg - not easy when getting the odd appearnace here and there, and in different positions.

At Leeds he was an excellent asset - good touch, decent pace, strong on the ball and in the air, good aggression and fierce will to win. It seems obvious to me that he's a straight replacement for Dyer (otherwise we would have bought him weeks ago - he's been available) and will predominantly play an attacking midfield role - his workrate is exactly what you need in wide areas when Sam plays his 4-3-3.

Sam is obviously trying to toughen us up, away from home in particular, and players like Barton, Geremi and Smith are a key part of that.

He's nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be. It's just ridiculous the way some folk go on about potential signings not being good enough for us. He's no world beater, granted, but he'd be a decent squad player and give us a bit of depth. At first glance the fee seems a little high at £6m but compare it to Chopra and Bent it's about the going rate tbh.

Now it looks more and more likely that Dyer is on his way, we'll be one down and he'll need to be replaced. Smith would be an acceptable replacement imo and he'd cost us less in wages.  

Aye, a fair assessment.  And I agree about the way people go on about the players that might come here.  We are a mediocre trophyless club with a nice stadium and good attendances, with no European competition to offer.  All of this seems lost on a good chunk of our fans though. 

So how would spending £6m or whatever on a player who wouldn't improve us be any use at all?

Because he would IMPROVE THE SQUAD.  f****** hell man, last season and for many seasons, our bench has been packed with "last resorts".  Players you see warming up in games where we're struggling and you just think "If that's who we're bringing on we may as well f****** go home now".  We need some quality on the bench, and some depth to the squad.  Smith would provide that - he's not a world-beater, but he's good back up, he gives us options, and he's someone we can rely on to come in and do a job.  Last season we had Sibierski doing that - are you telling me that Smith isn't an improvement on him?

We have Viduka now as Sibierski's replacement so don't see him as his replacement. That would suggest if he is to come in, it'd be as a midfielder.You could get someone like Diop for half of the price being suggested for Smith. We desperately need to strengthen the squad, but paying £6m for, who I believe is a poor footballer, isn't going to do that. Cheaper and better alternatives out there.

wasn't Ferguson trying to convert him to an midfielder? or was it more of a Roy Keane type (as i think someone here mentioned) as opposed to an attacking one.

Answered your own question mate! And, as an add-on to that, the plan failed miserably.

was supposed to have a question mark at the end of the 2nd sectance as i couldn't remember if he was trying to be changed to a definesive or an attacking midfielder.

Sell Martins for £13m

Buy Smith for £6m

Buy defenders for £7m

Smith in for £6m. Dyer out for £5m. Net spend of £1m. Saving about £25,000 a week in wages.

I honestly don't get the hysteria.  :nope:

Sell Martins for £13m

Buy Smith for £6m

Buy defenders for £7m

It's entirely possible that they have other targets identified and would still like to spend £6m on Smith.  Just because we need defenders doesn't mean that every penny in the kitty has to be devoted to them.  Nor does it mean that if we spend £6m on Smith and then fail to attract the defenders that we wanted to, that we blew all of our money on Smith.

Allardyce isn't Roeder.  He's harped on all summer about the necessity to bring defenders in, so he's not about to think "Ah fuck it, let's have Alan Smith instead" is he?

Not saying that. Other people might have been. Don't stereotype me. ;)

I said that £6m could be better spent elsewhere, which is true. We've already got six strikers, our fifth choice being Shola Ameobi. Ameobi was first choice 12 months ago. I agree with your idea that it adds quality to the squad, but we already have masses of it in the striking department. We don't need to blow £6m on another striker.

Sell Martins for £13m

Buy Smith for £6m

Buy defenders for £7m

Smith in for £6m. Dyer out for £5m. Net spend of £1m. Saving about £25,000 a week in wages.

I honestly don't get the hysteria.  :nope:

Hadn't really thought of that in fairness. That looks quite nice. Still looks considerably better if you replace the 'Smith' with a Baines or a Bridge, though.

Guest Gemmill

Because he would IMPROVE THE SQUAD.  f****** hell man, last season and for many seasons, our bench has been packed with "last resorts".  Players you see warming up in games where we're struggling and you just think "If that's who we're bringing on we may as well f****** go home now".  We need some quality on the bench, and some depth to the squad.  Smith would provide that - he's not a world-beater, but he's good back up, he gives us options, and he's someone we can rely on to come in and do a job.  Last season we had Sibierski doing that - are you telling me that Smith isn't an improvement on him?

We have Viduka now as Sibierski's replacement so don't see him as his replacement. That would suggest if he is to come in, it'd be as a midfielder.You could get someone like Diop for half of the price being suggested for Smith. We desperately need to strengthen the squad, but paying £6m for, who I believe is a poor footballer, isn't going to do that. Cheaper and better alternatives out there.

Are these cheaper/better alternatives available?  Have they got the mentality that Allardyce talked about being essential when he considers bringing players to the club (the ability to play in front of 52k who will turn on you if things aren't going right)?  This is a Leeds lad who went from there to Man United, so I would say he has that mentality.  It's no use just bandying names about if you think they're half decent players, because we've learned over the years that a lot of players wilt at NUFC.  There's a lot more to it than that.  Maybe that's why he's not too keen on Baines as well btw.

I just don't agree that he's a bad player, but we're never going to sort that one out, but whether Viduka is Sibierski's replacement or not is immaterial as we already know that our squad last year was too small so one for one replacements would still leave us screwed.  Smith imo is a good player who improves our squad.

Are these cheaper/better alternatives available?  Have they got the mentality that Allardyce talked about being essential when he considers bringing players to the club (the ability to play in front of 52k who will turn on you if things aren't going right)?  This is a Leeds lad who went from there to Man United, so I would say he has that mentality.  It's no use just bandying names about if you think they're half decent players, because we've learned over the years that a lot of players wilt at NUFC.  There's a lot more to it than that.  Maybe that's why he's not too keen on Baines as well btw.

I just don't agree that he's a bad player, but we're never going to sort that one out, but whether Viduka is Sibierski's replacement or not is immaterial as we already know that our squad last year was too small so one for one replacements would still leave us screwed.  Smith imo is a good player who improves our squad.

How many experienced central midfielders did we have to choose from against Juventus? If we can get better than fine but maybe they arent available. Smith isnt someone who is going to have people falling over themselves to buy tickets but he is steady, reliable and a mile better than Sibierski. Sibierski did play in midfield and up front for us last season btw. Positions Smith can also fill.