Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If that's where the Dyer money will go you could say; fair enough - but Dyer was a potential star man, Smith will spend most of his time on the bench.

Personally, I'd add the Dyer money to whatever budget Sam's got & go out & pay over the odds for some decent defenders as opposed to paying over the odds for Smith.

If that's where the Dyer money will go you could say; fair enough - but Dyer was a potential star man, Smith will spend most of his time on the bench.

Personally, I'd add the Dyer money to whatever budget Sam's got & go out & pay over the odds for some decent defenders as opposed to paying over the odds for Smith.

Rather take a chance on Barnes, or go find someone for the same price across Europe who can run with the ball through the centre, Barnes is canny for that, but probably not ready for NUFC.

Or buy a proper DMC.

Doesn't make sense unless its the following:

Sell Martins for £13m

Buy Smith for £6m

Buy defenders for £7m

Not sure I agree with that but its the only way I can make sense of buying Smith.

Where are people coming up with the idea that the £6m for Smith comprises our entire transfer fund?

I don't think it's that tbh. It's just that £6m can be spent better elsewhere, regardless of how big the budget is.

It's entirely possible that they have other targets identified and would still like to spend £6m on Smith.  Just because we need defenders doesn't mean that every penny in the kitty has to be devoted to them.  Nor does it mean that if we spend £6m on Smith and then fail to attract the defenders that we wanted to, that we blew all of our money on Smith.

Allardyce isn't Roeder.  He's harped on all summer about the necessity to bring defenders in, so he's not about to think "Ah f*** it, let's have Alan Smith instead" is he?

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic and starting to believe that we don't have very much cash.

If it is the case that we are signing Smith plus a load of defenders then brilliant but the noises so far from Allardyce haven't given me any confidence that this is the case.

Guest Gemmill

Rather take a chance on Barnes, or go find someone for the same price across Europe who can run with the ball through the centre, Barnes is canny for that, but probably not ready for NUFC.

Or buy a proper DMC.

I'm not having a go here, but you can't just name players like this and assume they'll fit in.  Barnes or "someone for the same price across Europe who can run with the ball through the centre" (could you be any less specific btw :razz: ).  Yeah, it's the club's job to find these players, but maybe the quality just isn't there at the right price, or maybe they're unsure on whether they can take the risk on a specific player etc. etc.

I just don't agree that he's a bad player, but we're never going to sort that one out, but whether Viduka is Sibierski's replacement or not is immaterial as we already know that our squad last year was too small so one for one replacements would still leave us screwed.  Smith imo is a good player who improves our squad.

In which case, we'll have to agree to disagree. My beef isn't spending £6m on a midfielder because I don't think it'll affect our defensive signings. It's spending £6m on a player I just don't rate.

Or buy a proper DMC.

I'm not having a go here, but you can't just name players like this and assume they'll fit in.  Barnes or "someone for the same price across Europe who can run with the ball through the centre" (could you be any less specific btw :razz: ).  Yeah, it's the club's job to find these players, but maybe the quality just isn't there at the right price, or maybe they're unsure on whether they can take the risk on a specific player etc. etc.

You can't assume Smith will just fit in either. You take a chance with every player, i'm being vague as i'm not a scout and i'm not going to pretend to be one. I've seen Barnes a few times last season, and thought he was excellent. A player we'd do well to sign as i think he's a bright talent and future NT player. I'd be very happy selling Dyer & bringing in Barnes, of course he has to adapt to the EPL and a club this size, but i reckon in two seasons he'd be a 1st teamer we couldn't live without. I could be wrong as well.

Smith would just be a meh player, who'll never have a position, and won't get any better.

An unhappy Dyer, the money of an unexpected sale, perfect opportunity to take a chance since we've done without him for the last several seasons anyway, whether someone abroad or going for a young English talent to replace him.

Guest Gemmill

Or buy a proper DMC.

You can't assume Smith will just fit in either. You take a chance with every player, i'm being vague as i'm not a scout and i'm not going to pretend to be one. I've seen Barnes a few times last season, and thought he was excellent. A player we'd do well to sign as i think he's a bright talent and future NT player. I'd be very happy selling Dyer & bringing in Barnes, of course he has to adapt to the EPL and a club this size, but i reckon in two seasons he'd be a 1st teamer we couldn't live without. I could be wrong as well.

Smith would just be a meh player, who'll never have a position, and won't get any better.

An unhappy Dyer, the money of an unexpected sale, perfect opportunity to take a chance since we've done without him for the last several seasons anyway, whether someone abroad or going for a young English talent to replace him.

Don't you think we've done enough "taking a chance"?  I'd rather sign someone solid where I know what I'm getting (you say shite, I say good, let's call the whole thing off :razz: ).  Not some young kid who might be the next Jermaine Jenas.  Or some foreign bloke who could be the next Hugo Viana.

Or buy a proper DMC.

Don't you think we've done enough "taking a chance"?  I'd rather sign someone solid where I know what I'm getting (you say shite, I say good, let's call the whole thing off :razz: ).  Not some young kid who might be the next Jermaine Jenas.  Or some foreign bloke who could be the next Hugo Viana.

We have, and a lot have backfired, and thats where the manager takes it on. Smith is a safe option then, but not a very good one. I'd honestly hand on heart rather keep an unhappy Dyer than sign Smith. £6m could probably get you Appiah or someone of that quality surly? These are slight risks, but there are players out there on the verge or in good form and hold good quality for that price. Adapting to the Country, local area and style of football will take longer, but Sam himself stated that as one of his strongest points. He knows every religion, requirement, family member & lifestyle choices of his entire playing staff at Bolton, and he did everything in his power to settle players quickly and it worked. I'd have no problem on him taking a chance in that respect, as long as the quality is there, Appiah is a good example, i don't really know what else is out there for £6m, but surly we can spend it more wisely than on Alan Smith.

Its not just the quality i've got a problem with though, its the type of player. If we were lacking in strikers, or didn't have Ameobi or Viduka, Smith is tempting as a second striker in support of an Owen or Martins, but we don't need him and people thinking he's a midfielder really need to think again, he's not and never will be. If he's a mid signing, which by all accounts he would be, then we can get a £6m mid to do a much better job than him, a natural mid who's job it is, not a converted striker who struggled in that previous position.

Well Ferguson's just said Manu have had a few enquiries about Smith and Smith wants first team football so hopefully that's us out of it. *prays*

Now if we've got £6m to spend (not including money for defenders) let's get an actual midfielder.

Or buy a proper DMC.

We have, and a lot have backfired, and thats where the manager takes it on. Smith is a safe option then, but not a very good one. I'd honestly hand on heart rather keep an unhappy Dyer than sign Smith. £6m could probably get you Appiah or someone of that quality surly? These are slight risks, but there are players out there on the verge or in good form and hold good quality for that price. Adapting to the Country, local area and style of football will take longer, but Sam himself stated that as one of his strongest points. He knows every religion, requirement, family member & lifestyle choices of his entire playing staff at Bolton, and he did everything in his power to settle players quickly and it worked. I'd have no problem on him taking a chance in that respect, as long as the quality is there, Appiah is a good example, i don't really know what else is out there for £6m, but surly we can spend it more wisely than on Alan Smith.

Its not just the quality i've got a problem with though, its the type of player. If we were lacking in strikers, or didn't have Ameobi or Viduka, Smith is tempting as a second striker in support of an Owen or Martins, but we don't need him and people thinking he's a midfielder really need to think again, he's not and never will be. If he's a mid signing, which by all accounts he would be, then we can get a £6m mid to do a much better job than him, a natural mid who's job it is, not a converted striker who struggled in that previous position.

He'd make a cracking RB. [Windup/]

Or buy a proper DMC.

Better Left back (insert 100 year old joke here)  :razz:

Or buy a proper DMC.

Better Left back (insert 100 year old joke here)  :razz:

bluerazz.gif

Are people seriously suggesting Smith would be a good signing at £6 million?!

Compare it to Chopra and Richardson and I say yes.

Why compare it to two transfers that the majority of this board laughed at to say it's a good deal?

Chopra and Richardson were bought as star players who will play every week, you cant compare that to spending 6m on a player who woudnt get in the team in his proper position.

Compare it to Barton who'd be infront of him and cost less. Madness.

Although I wouldn't be against signing Smith, right now Sam should take that £6m, slap in a bid for Baines, sign him up and move on.

As usual though, none of us here know the full story of whats going on so its very easy for us to criticize.

Still undecided about this.

I don't think he's as bad as many are making out, but would the player be happy being brought here as a midfielder? And how would this affect our search for defenders? A year ago loads of people were saying the Duff and Martins signings wouldn't affect our defensive strengthening - but it did.

£6M is not a shocking price given the prices of players like Chopra, Richardson, Reo-Coker, Parker etc. At the end of the day you're not going to get an experienced player with quite a few England caps at his peak age on the cheap. It's probably the going rate for a player who ticks those boxes.

Good news imo. At last a player with guts and a similar determination to win as Bellamy.

Nice thought. Craig Bellamys medal count in the English league at present is zero though.

Whats that got to do with guts and determination ? Think about why we are all having trouble suggesting a club captain. Its because no c*** in our team last year had any spine.

It is the win bit I was pointing out. Bellamy is never going to be captain material and I have no idea what you are harping on about that for. Neither is Smith but  he's nearer than CB. Will to win doesnt mean winner. There are lots of other factors that go into it. Like a brain, teamwork on and off the pitch etc. See Bellamys 'performance' at Wolves in the cup for that determination. He was more concerned with showing their fans his pay cheque than winning a game we had a chance in. Not denying Bellamy tries hard usually but he isnt what this club needs. Spine doesnt mean captain material either. Helps but it isnt the only factor. Agree we do need grafters, just prefer grafters with a bit of talent and the other factors I mentioned earlier. Nb: If CB was here he would have my support. He isnt and tbh I am not upset by it. Others currently at the club come into that category. We replaced Bellamy with better. If we do the same with Dyer then thats fine too. It becomes a problem when we don't and the numbskulls don't consider that he just might be here next season. Smith certainly isnt a like for like.

I think you have misunderstood me. I couldn`t give a flying fuck about Bellamy tbh, I was just comparing their likeness in a determination to win. We had and still have too many players whos heads drop the second things go tits up. Smith is not that type of player. I think he would be very handy for tough away games. Unlike alot of our players he won`t get forced off the ball by a mere breeze.

Chopra and Richardson were bought as star players who will play every week, you cant compare that to spending 6m on a player who woudnt get in the team in his proper position.

Compare it to Barton who'd be infront of him and cost less. Madness.

There was a reason Barton was cheaper. We still get people who peddle the idea that Michael Owen cost Real Madrid 8m and that was his true worth. He did cost 8m but he wouldnt sign a new contract and shortly after he could talk to anyone, hence the significantly reduced fee. Makes a nice story though.