Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If this comes off then it's as bad as spending money on Duff last season when we clearly needed defenders at that time.

Agreed, especially if this free transfer that's supposed to be coming in as CB is shite.

he would be a god awful, shocking, shit, scott parker-esque attacking midfielder. no vision, no trickery or skill, no burst of pace, no intuitive positioning, average control of a football and to top it off he hardly scores when playing in midfield. but at least he works hard.

If this comes off then it's as bad as spending money on Duff last season when we clearly needed defenders at that time.

Agreed, especially if this free transfer that's supposed to be coming in as CB is shite.

Only if we don't get the def. We will see. I can't imagine Sam is sacrificing the def for the sake of Smith.

Only if we don't get defenders again this summer.

And it's not as bad as buying Duff at all as I don't expect Smith will come in and automatically just dislodge our brightest young prospect in the starting eleven.

We need another midfielder for when Dyer leaves, so I've no real problem with this. Defenders are the massive priority though, and if this purchase is hurting our funds for a good CB or LB then it's a poor move, I agree.

I have read "paper thin squad" a number of times in this thread, the reason the squad is paper thin is because we have no bloody defenders.

Last count we easily had 2 players for every position in the front 6 and that didn't include Dyer or the like of Troisi who I am sure could fill in every now and then if it got that desperate.

We need defenders, not an average player who can play up front or in midfield!

Big Sam never said he wasnt getting Smith today when some kid asked at the training ground

he said who told you he was coming and the kid said someone who works for nufc and SA said oh well we will see... maybe its true

Big Sam never said he wasnt getting Smith today when some kid asked at the training ground

he said who told you he was coming and the kid said someone who works for nufc and SA said oh well we will see... maybe its true

How often do you go up the training ground, Kev?

once or twice a week in the holidays

why?

Villareal have signed Rossi for an undisclosed fee.

I would have definitely preferred Rossi.

I'd rather have neither but that leaves them with Rooney, crocked Saha and Tevez who might not be able to play for them until January.

They might yet hang onto Smith.

Guest toontoon

Guiseppe Rossi?

yep.

good luck to him  :thup:

once or twice a week in the holidays

why?

Just wondered that's all.

You will have to get more info off Allardyce when you're up there again and post it on here.

I'm a bit confused by the double negative in what you said there.

Did he say that Smith isn't coming?

Or did he say wait and see?

Guiseppe Rossi?

yep.

Ridiculous comment in that case then.

Rossi couldn't get a game here last season when we had hardly any strikers, how exactly would he contribute at all now that we have Viduka, Owen, Shola and possibly Luque in the fold? Not to mention Carroll if he isn't loaned out.

Smith can play a few positions and will get plenty of games so he's a worthwhile, if underwhelming, signing.

Signing Rossi would have been pointless in the extreme.

Guiseppe Rossi?

yep.

Rossi couldn't get a game here last season when we had hardly any strikers, how exactly would he contribute at all now that we have Viduka, Owen, Shola and possibly Luque in the fold? Not to mention Carroll if he isn't loaned out.

Smith can play a few positions and will get plenty of games so he's a worthwhile, if underwhelming, signing.

Rossi prefers attacking midfield to up front, and can play on the left.

Guiseppe Rossi?

yep.

We've Duff, N'Zogbia and Luque who can play on the left. Can't see Rossi as a useful out and out winger either, as he's horribly slow.

Soft as fudge as well tbh, would get murdered in CM.

Could you really see Rossi getting a kick for us next season?

Guiseppe Rossi?

yep.

We've Duff, N'Zogbia and Luque who can play on the left. Can't see Rossi as a useful out and out winger either, as he's horribly slow.

Soft as fudge as well tbh, would get murdered in CM.

Could you really see Rossi getting a kick for us next season?

More so than Smith if I'm honest with you. I wouldn't get either, but I'd definitely prefer Rossi of the two.

Guiseppe Rossi?

yep.

He prefers to play off the front man.

When has he ever played out on the left?

Unless Rossi has changed almost entirely in the 6 months he's been away then I don't see him being a worthwhile signing.

Better suited to a slower tempo of game, due to his lack of pace.

Smith on the other hand plays the sort of high-tempo, in your face football Allardyce is known for.

Seems a no-brainer to me in all honesty.

Guiseppe Rossi?

yep.

He prefers to play off the front man.

When has he ever played out on the left?

For us versus Chelsea. Did well.

Smith is a better player than most are giving him credit for... and he would be a good addition to the squad IMO.

But... I don't see the benefit of buying him and then selling Dyer and N'Zogbia. And if money is any issue, paying 6m for him when that money could be spent on defenders is madness.

Still I chose to stick my head in the sand and pretend that we're going to buy 3-4 defenders and keep N'Zogibia.  Bring him in.~