Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The idea of Smith certainly doesn't give me any kind of buzz but thinking sensibly, Martins & Geremi will be off to the ANC early next year. Smith covers both of those 2 positions.

you've shed some good light on this for me, cheers.  :thup:

The idea of Smith certainly doesn't give me any kind of buzz but thinking sensibly, Martins & Geremi will be off to the ANC early next year. Smith covers both of those 2 positions.

It's a good point.

It's a good point.

True. Isn't it nice to have some cover for once? Hopefully we'll get used to the idea instead of playing kids that aren't ready for the big stage just yet.

I think this signing will prove to be a very fruitful one imo.

Seeing the short clip of Smith on SSN I realise I forgot just how he sounds. He's as broad as me. :lol:

You're worse/better.  :lol:

I've always thought the old school Durham accent was a nice mix between geordie and leeds.

Coming round to the prospect of Smith slowly, not much other choice though since its going to be made.

Decent player to have as backup/on rotation for a side looking at a top 6 finish, since its at the higher levels where hes out of his depth.

And although its been repeated a hundred times, I still cant get over the price. Eg, weve picked up Geremi on a free, yet were paying £6mill for a player considerably inferior. I acknowledge that Smith is a striker as well, but then the same still applies - Viduka on a free, £6mill for someone who isnt anywhere near as good. If were spending relatively big money on these positions, it should be someone who is at a similar level, or has the potential to be.

Price aside, I hope he turns out to be a useful asset, and helps us in fighting back against teams that try to kick us off the pitch, particularly away from home, eg Blackburn, Everton, etc.

I'm not a big fan of Smith, but you can't deny that he will give you commitment and effort, somnething Dyer never seemed to show. I will get behind him whatever position he plays in.

Guest Gemmill

And although its been repeated a hundred times, I still cant get over the price. Eg, weve picked up Geremi on a free, yet were paying £6mill for a player considerably inferior. I acknowledge that Smith is a striker as well, but then the same still applies - Viduka on a free, £6mill for someone who isnt anywhere near as good. If were spending relatively big money on these positions, it should be someone who is at a similar level, or has the potential to be.

Aren't you comparing players who are out of contract with players who aren't here?  Seems a bit daft.

Any news of a press conference? suprised we never had one for any of our signings.

From what I've read if both deals are done then Smith and Cacapa are likely to join Allardyce at his pre-Sampdoria press conference, which is later today.

never liked him myself - grossly overrrated IMHO -  but I agree you can't fault him for effort

the other thing that  surprised me is that he's only 26 - he's been around so long I thought he was about 31

IF he works out there could be 6- 8 years of top flight football still ahead of him

Guest Thomo

I can not believe that so many people are being negative about Alan Smith, he will give you 100% in every game he plays, he has created almost double amount of goals that Keiron Dyer, and he plays almost double the games Dyer plays, apart Smith's terrible injury he is almost nearly fit for most of the season, he is strong and direct and is a battler, just what we need at Newcastle.

Give the lad a chance, he is coming here to prove people wrong and I hope he does, the prospect of Smith behind Owen and Viduka or Martins to me is a exciting one especially when we have Butt, Barton, Geremi as cover and Milner running down the wings 

Guest Strunz

I may be mistaken, but that footage of Smith on SSN looks like it was taken next to the church at the top of Jesmond Dene - there's a men's clothes shop on the corner - and Smith's outside it.

Is he in the city already???

Guest Wildbill

I don't like this signing at all, Smith is an average player (with a lot of commitment however...) and the price is way too high. 3-4m would be a fair price for a player of his calibre, 6m is way off the mark.

MU have been getting a lot of money for average players lately, 7m for Rossi, 5.5m for Richardson (!!!) and now 6m for Smith.

Guest johnson293

I may be mistaken, but that footage of Smith on SSN looks like it was taken next to the church at the top of Jesmond Dene - there's a men's clothes shop on the corner - and Smith's outside it.

Is he in the city already???

He's been here since yesterday morning.

The Journal says that Newcastle officials are hopeful of completing the signing in time for him to train with us this morning.

Aye - been mentioned earlier in this thread (I think) - Apparently he expected the talks to be sorted yesterday, but when he had to stay overnight, it seems he decided he needed to pick up some more clothes.

I'm happy with his signing I can see how it may seem like an anti climax to people hoping we would go big on one signing this summer. I guess if someone was to tell me we were signing smith as a replacement for say sibierski I would be over the moon as I think many would be. So we are not signing a world beater so what, as Sam has said before saying to a player this summer "we have no european football on offer and there is no garentee we will get in again at the end of the season" some players will turn their noses up just on that basis and I would rather we did not offer them a golden nuget by signing another 5 players on 80,90,100+ thou a week the club has suffered enough from high profile signings that get shown up by the cheaper "more motivated" players.

Guest johnson293

I don't like this signing at all, Smith is an average player (with a lot of commitment however...) and the price is way too high. 3-4m would be a fair price for a player of his calibre, 6m is way off the mark.

MU have been getting a lot of money for average players lately, 7m for Rossi, 5.5m for Richardson (!!!) and now 6m for Smith.

Not just Man Utd though - Spurs (possibly) getting £6m for Mido????? Cardiff getting £5m for Chopra???? Charlton getting £16m for Bent????!!!!

Its just the way the transfer market is this summer with the new Premier League TV money - and even moreso for English Players.

£1 million more than Chopra = Bargain IMO

OK in the real world he's worth 3 - 4mill BUT we ain't in the real world anymore.

He's a good lad as well, I only have one reservation in that he's teatotal, must be a weirdo 

Guest BillyRay Valentine

I can not believe that so many people are being negative about Alan Smith, he will give you 100% in every game he plays, he has created almost double amount of goals that Keiron Dyer, and he plays almost double the games Dyer plays, apart Smith's terrible injury he is almost nearly fit for most of the season, he is strong and direct and is a battler, just what we need at Newcastle.

Give the lad a chance, he is coming here to prove people wrong and I hope he does, the prospect of Smith behind Owen and Viduka or Martins to me is a exciting one especially when we have Butt, Barton, Geremi as cover and Milner running down the wings 

good post.

a quality player when at leeds who lost his way at man yoo through a combination of an appalling injury and very limited oportunities. a focussed, committed team player with a decent eye for goal (has scored some marvellous ones too), i just cannot see where all this pessimism is coming from.

we're a strictly second tier draw in the prem right now with precious little cash to chance on 'big names' - been there, done that and got nowhere, so i for one am more than happy with this more pragmatic, sensible approach to our transfers. allardyce is clearly trying to add some much needed steel to last season's surrender monkeys. those who think this is at the expense of skill are dreaming - viduka, barton, geremi, rozenhal, smith are all decent ball players who understand the virtues of the passing game. sven has already blazed through over 30 mil compared to our 2 odd mil, and will citeh be finishing above us in the league next season? will they f*ck.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Newcastle don't do player press conferences any more - that was a Freddy Shepherd ego thing.

what bollocks