The bright side of life thread

Lloydie

Lets face it. We're not signing anyone else, the review of the club is going to take till 2010, Joey Barton's going to play two games then get taken to jail, there's no cash, Ashley's millions are all tied up in offshore bank accounts and nobody wants to buy Kieron Dyer. I still think it's going to be a good season, and here's why.

First, the manager. Big Sam's had years of practice working with next to no money in a division where even newly promoted sides regularly outspent him; and he prospered. The lads aren't going to lack for motivation and discipline this season.

Second, the forward line. Owen, Martins, Viduka, and Ameobi (yes, Ameobi, I'm a fan) are a front line most sides in this division would give their eye teeth for. Only Man Utd have a better selection of forwards, Liverpool have some talents and some misfits, Arsenal have to find out if they've got a good replacement for Henry, and without Drogba Chelsea are lacking. We may not have a contender for the golden boot, but the days of watching Martins trying to carry the fight by himself with Sibierski rushing up from midfield to support are gone. Hell, I'd even forgotten about Luque, ten million pounds of Spanish forward, bristling with intent, he could still be the best signing of two seasons ago (lets not get carried away, ed.).

The midfields not bad either. Even allowing for Barton doing porridge in the near future it's pretty good. Butt, Geremi, Emre, Solano, Milner and N'Zogbia isn't a bad set of players, plenty of variety, players who can do a job on both sides of the pitch; plus of course Kieron Dyer, who'll be working out about now that the only way he's going to get out of here is by looking like a player worth buying, at least until Christmas.

Finally, there's the defence; and the good news is it's no worse than last year. Moore's gone, Bramble's gone, Gooch has gone, but really who cares? They were all either injured or rubbish all the time. Now we've got no choice but to start Rozenhal and Taylor; so what if Ramage, Huntington and Edgar are going to get games, they did all right last season - they're older now, bigger, more experienced and in Geremi we've even got someone to do that whole pointing and shouting thing that's always seemed beyond our defence in previous seasons. Plus by Christmas Big Sam will have them so well drilled on set pieces that we can forget all about that whole 'corner, panic in the area, sliced clearance, GOAL' problem that's been following us around like a stray dog for the last ten years.

But what I'm really looking forward to is the return of vibrant attacking football. Now the squads thin, so we need a tactic to ration our defenders, for me the only way out is to adopt a strategy of absolutely pummeling any side that comes to St James' Park in a 'we're gonna score one more than you' style. Sure against the top sides we might risk a kicking, but we'll blow away the rest. Remember Keegan playing Asprilla as a wingback?

Given

Dyer        Rozenhal            Taylor        N'Zogbia

Geremi        Butt          Milner

Owen            Viduka                Martins

Bench : Harper, Ameobi, Solano, Emre, Carr

Bloody hell, I've forgotten Luque again - we are *blessed* with talent I tell you, *blessed*

(As I type this my upstairs neighbour puts on Sultans of Swing, it's a sign I tell you!)

There you go, it's going to be a great year, we've already beaten Juve and Celtic. I don't know what you're all worried about.

:celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb:

some on here were worried that we would turn into a long ball team, but i think we have played lovely passing football so far, and barely punted the ball up to nowhere.

See! It's gonna be brilliant.

And Carroll, el il PaintBrush, or whatever the Italians are calling him.

He got his first senior goal against one of the best keepers in the world - he's a big lad. We can play him at centrehalf if we need to.

I'll have two pints of what you're on Lloydie!.................... ;D

(but then again, deep down inside I find myself agreeing with you...... however not the defence, we need at least two defenders and one of them better have a left foot that he uses for more than just standing on.)

Good lad, it cheered me up. Although currently my first 11 would be:

Given

Nobby        Rozehnal    Taylor    Zoggy

Butt

Barton

Geremi                                      Milner

Viduka

Owen

Look if we sign defenders Sam will come over all defensive. We just need to accept that Dyer, Solano, N'Zogbia and Duff are our first choice full backs, and Taylor, Rozenhaal, Ramage and Huntington are going to do the job in the middle. That's the route to football we want to see.

Just look at that lineup, now imagine you're Derby, or Villa, or the the Mackems, what the hell are you going to do? Put on your little tin hat and pray I tell you. You can't see that lot losing to Sheffield can you?

Look if we sign defenders Sam will come over all defensive. We just need to accept that Dyer, Solano, N'Zogbia and Duff are our first choice full backs, and Taylor, Rozenhaal, Ramage and Huntington are going to do the job in the middle. That's the route to football we want to see.

Just look at that lineup, now imagine you're Derby, or Villa, or the the Mackems, what the hell are you going to do? Put on your little tin hat and pray I tell you. You can't see that lot losing to Sheffield can you?

Err........ yes, 13-12, Zogg gives away a controversial last minute pen, trying to get back after spending the last four minutes pitching his tent in Sheffield's box! :shifty:

Maybe that's why Keegan has been mentioned as coming back to the club? If we don't get any decent defenders in we're going to have to start with Viduka, Owen, Martins, Ameobi and Luque up front at the same time. The opposition will score 8 but we'll score 9. That's the spirit!

Guest 22bnw

There's never been much wrong with our first choice starting 11, its just that the injuries take over. It's not even August and we are at the top of the injury table with a grand total of nine.

Luque, Ameobi, Babayaro, Owen, Barton, Butt, Emre, Taylor and Duff. Pre-season is supposed to be about getting fit - but all the lads can do its sprain their ankles and pull their muscles.

Either something is deadly wrong with the Newcastle training facilities, Allardyce and his coaches don't know about fitness, or we've got a squad full of pansies. Make your own minds up.

Err........ yes, 13-12, Zogg gives away a controversial last minute pen, trying to get back after spending the last four minutes pitching his tent in Sheffield's box! :shifty:

But it would be good wouldn't it? And in the end even the goal difference wouldn't be worse than last year.

Besides, how the hell would Sheffield score 13, sides like that get confused if they get more than two

There's never been much wrong with our first choice starting 11...

I think you're missing the point of this thread. Look we've only got 38 games that matter next season, we can afford a few knocks. Besides it spares Sam the problem of trying to keep them happy with rotation.

MY first 11 would be

given

geremi            taylor               rozenhal          zoggy

butt

barton                                  milner                            

owen                                                          martins

viduka

:smitten: :smitten: Mmmmm Melissa Theuriau.

I'll have two pints of what you're on Lloydie!.................... ;D

(but then again, deep down inside I find myself agreeing with you...... however not the defence, we need at least two defenders and one of them better have a left foot that he uses for more than just standing on.)

you want two pints of crack cocaine? that shit's gonna cost you.

Lets face it. We're not signing anyone else, the review of the club is going to take till 2010, Joey Barton's going to play two games then get taken to jail, there's no cash, Ashley's millions are all tied up in offshore bank accounts and nobody wants to buy Kieron Dyer. I still think it's going to be a good season, and here's why.

First, the manager. Big Sam's had years of practice working with next to no money in a division where even newly promoted sides regularly outspent him; and he prospered. The lads aren't going to lack for motivation and discipline this season.

Second, the forward line. Owen, Martins, Viduka, and Ameobi (yes, Ameobi, I'm a fan) are a front line most sides in this division would give their eye teeth for. Only Man Utd have a better selection of forwards, Liverpool have some talents and some misfits, Arsenal have to find out if they've got a good replacement for Henry, and without Drogba Chelsea are lacking. We may not have a contender for the golden boot, but the days of watching Martins trying to carry the fight by himself with Sibierski rushing up from midfield to support are gone. Hell, I'd even forgotten about Luque, ten million pounds of Spanish forward, bristling with intent, he could still be the best signing of two seasons ago (lets not get carried away, ed.).

The midfields not bad either. Even allowing for Barton doing porridge in the near future it's pretty good. Butt, Geremi, Emre, Solano, Milner and N'Zogbia isn't a bad set of players, plenty of variety, players who can do a job on both sides of the pitch; plus of course Kieron Dyer, who'll be working out about now that the only way he's going to get out of here is by looking like a player worth buying, at least until Christmas.

Finally, there's the defence; and the good news is it's no worse than last year. Moore's gone, Bramble's gone, Gooch has gone, but really who cares? They were all either injured or rubbish all the time. Now we've got no choice but to start Rozenhal and Taylor; so what if Ramage, Huntington and Edgar are going to get games, they did all right last season - they're older now, bigger, more experienced and in Geremi we've even got someone to do that whole pointing and shouting thing that's always seemed beyond our defence in previous seasons. Plus by Christmas Big Sam will have them so well drilled on set pieces that we can forget all about that whole 'corner, panic in the area, sliced clearance, GOAL' problem that's been following us around like a stray dog for the last ten years.

But what I'm really looking forward to is the return of vibrant attacking football. Now the squads thin, so we need a tactic to ration our defenders, for me the only way out is to adopt a strategy of absolutely pummeling any side that comes to St James' Park in a 'we're gonna score one more than you' style. Sure against the top sides we might risk a kicking, but we'll blow away the rest. Remember Keegan playing Asprilla as a wingback?

Given

Dyer        Rozenhal            Taylor         N'Zogbia

Geremi         Butt          Milner

Owen             Viduka                Martins

Bench : Harper, Ameobi, Solano, Emre, Carr

Bloody hell, I've forgotten Luque again - we are *blessed* with talent I tell you, *blessed*

(As I type this my upstairs neighbour puts on Sultans of Swing, it's a sign I tell you!)

There you go, it's going to be a great year, we've already beaten Juve and Celtic. I don't know what you're all worried about.

:celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb:

Well you've certainly put a smile on my face after a week or so of doom and gloom around here.

Dire Straits from above - that's a good sign?

What's he going to play next, Money for nothing?

some on here were worried that we would turn into a long ball team, but i think we have played lovely passing football so far, and barely punted the ball up to nowhere.

Not sure about the Celtic game but we were punting them up yesterday.

Not sure about the Celtic game but we were punting them up yesterday.

When? Played some very decent stuff imo, even when the youngsters were all on.