Martins not for sale - Sam

Guest gggg

How do British sports journalists keep their jobs when they get it wrong so often?  Surely there has to be some sort of editorial standard.  This is a story in a national broadsheet that has the same credibility as TeamTalk.

I agree, I trust the independent usually but there has to be some serious explanation for that article. Its title doesn't mess about at all and with no quotes involved, surely they'll get into trouble if its completely untrue.

Whether its true or not there have been a few things happening or rumoured that give me a feeling of "here we go again!"

Fisrt of all there was the knowledge that one of our new signings was going to have a break as he was playing for the Aussies. Not exactly good for team building. Then on top of that there was the injury situation.

Another of Ashley's companies, Sports Direct suffering a share collapse and profit warnings, made me think that perhaps we have someone who will struggle running a business he is completely new to.

The appearance of Steve Harper in open play in a friendly game smacked of lunacy as the possibilty of him being injured was not worth the laugh it generated and smacked of unprofessionalism.

The rumours of the return of Keegan is not what we wanted and even less so that of Shearer. We won nowt with this man when he was an influential figure at the club and he needs to be forgotten about until he does become manager. I suppose that could apply to KK too but at least it was a period to remember.

The need it seems to sell before we can buy is not what we needed. Surely the revue of the club should have been done before they bought it and they should have been ready to do what was necessary to strengthen a weak squad during this transfer window, not in a future one.

The vibes are not great it appears to me and some worrying aspects are either happening or rumoured to be happening. Hopefully it all works out well in the end but it would just be our luck to be taken over and end up even worse than we were before.

Maybe we need our old chairman back. Come back Lord Westwood, I quite enjoyed some of the 60's and 70's.

Oh Shit.

Some craic if this is true like with these comments :lol:

Even if it somehow ends up being true it's still poor journalism.  Is he getting this news from the typical 'source close to the club'?  An agent or representatives of the player?  Another journo in the north-east?  Even if he doesn't want to use direct quotations, someone has to have phoned him up with this info and he should give us some hint who it is. 

How do British sports journalists keep their jobs when they get it wrong so often?  Surely there has to be some sort of editorial standard.  This is a story in a national broadsheet that has the same credibility as TeamTalk.

This is a brilliant posting ; the standard of journalism - esp Sports journalism - is absolutely crap in the UK.

They spin so many pathetic stories that you would imagine they would make a better living by writing Fairy Tales.I reckon this all started back in the 80s when we had that ridiculous story about Socrates(Brazil star in 82 WC)joining us....

The whole lot of them are a lazy set of prats - all they want to do is get a nice quote(failing which they'll make something up)and the p--- off to the pub for the afternoon(most of them are almost alkies).

I expected something like this to happen once Ashley took over, simply because of 2 factors;

1.He is a person who doesn't give interviews, and these journos need feeding..

2.Quite a few of them are perfectly happy with the 'status quo' of the current top 4, and they know that if we ever get our act together, we will gatecrash it.

Whilst Dalglish had his faults, he was a better judge of a player than many managers we've had(think about Hamman, Nobby, Given - all signed by him when we had access to decent funds - the ones like Barnes, Rush etc were because he wasn't given funds at that time).

Even though he had a problem with Shearer's injury & Sir Les being sold(a corporate decision), he didn't complain and was popular with the players, but the PRESS hated him - they were used to preferential treatment by KK and Dalglish didn't trust them and was obtuse with his comments, so they had it in for him.

He got NO credit for re-introducing the Reserves & Youth system which KK had scrapped, and they just wanted him out. He wasn't the manager we thought he would be, but if ever anyone had a bad press, he did.

If they get it in for you, they can make a lot of trouble, and they will continue to produce articles like this -

NUFC has always been a feast of rumour & speculation but as one of their more infamous brethren usually says , these are usually 'WIDE OF THE MARK !!'...

Clearly, we all want some action to strengthen the squad in defence - I just think they are refusing to pay what they consider over-the-odds prices & wages to players trying to hold us to ransom(which they can because there is a dearth of good players).

If that is true, it will be a difficult season - we may have to bite the bullet for a while - time will tell.

Guest Shibby

Relax guys, all these rumours about us selling players is to mislead people into thinking we're broke. So that clubs will not jack up the value of our targets.

this aint going to happen for sure,SAM says that his biggest worry is Martins leaving and when Martins says he wants to say Sam decides, NAH lets just sell you. Carroll, Ameobi and Luque arnt good enough to start game in game out and Viduka nad Owen are injury prone, would be a vvery bad decisionl

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Martins, Zog and Dyer all off if we believe all this?

I'm not believing it!!!!!!!!!

Guest Moe-Ali

Bullshit, sam allardyce had talks with martins about his future at newcastle, and now he wants to sell him? even after the player has come out saying he is more than happy here, i dont believe it!

Bet NE5's loving this. ;)

:(

Anyone but Freddie!  ;D Gemmill had it right though. NUFC are not a profit making organisation in the mould of Ashleys recent acquisitions. He isnt daft though. He stated his intention for a strategic review and the finances recently have suggested one was long overdue. I think a lot of the £40m+ garbage spouted was just that. I am certain money is available as we have been told Sam is actively in the market. Just maybe they are holding back til they sort out the shower of shite they were left!

Obsessed.

Believe what you want, ignore what you don't  mackems.gif

Guest black

the mirror isent helping either with their report zog is off to fulham

If Charlie was frustrated with the football here last season I can't see him going to Fulham to play the NI version of kick it long and chase it down.

Wish the media would just fu<k right off and stop sh!t stirring.

I think the situation is similar to that of Benitez at Liverpool. The manager wants to put pressure on the new owners to spend big, in a situation where he's not really sure of exactly how much money there is to spend. It doesn't mean that money wouldn't, in practice, be available for the right player. The press are looking at those quotes from Allardyce, seen that not much has been spent over the last month, put two and two together and declared (as with Benitez) that the manager and board have fallen out.

Of course, it's always a possibility that Allardyce might want to sell Martins to make room for another striker coming in. Martins doesn't offer us much that Owen doesn't, and the likes of Gudjohnsen would offer us something different.

Guest Breezer

I just wish Ashley to cough up money to shut up the newspapers or something like that! there was Owen leaving story, tehn there Zoggy, Martins and now Ashley want to get out....

I just wish Ashley to cough up money to shut up the newspapers or something like that! there was Owen leaving story, tehn there Zoggy, Martins and now Ashley want to get out....

Aye, and all the other stories were spot on weren't they? Fuck the papers man.

Whilst I don't believe what is said in this article it would be nice for the board to give us an idea where we are heading. This kind of speculation is banded about simply because the press do not know what is happening.

Guest DavB93

Biggest load of bollocks I've read, the only person leaving will be Dyer 'for family reasons'. The reason the board are staying quite on transfers and all that is so other clubs don't hold us to ransom, it makes a change from Fat Fred coming out saying 'I'm giving the manager 30 million to spend in the summer' then whenever we show an intrest in any player there club add 5 million to their price.

I'll tell you now come the start of the season we'll of signed 3 more players plus replaced anyone that's left, one will be a trophy signing and that will get the fans excited and everybody will forget all the worring we've done when nothing has been happening of lately...watch this space.