Dragutinovic - Set to sign new Sevilla contract

Guest TrEe

Newcastle United and Manchester City are ready to battle it out for the signature of Ivica Dragutinovic.

The Serbian stopper is highly-regarded by his club Sevilla, but the 31-year-old is keen to test himself in the Premier League and with just one-year left on his current deal, a move looks possible.

Dragutinovic, who can play in central defence or at left-back, was linked with a move to City earlier this month - but now Newcastle are set to rival them for his signature.

Reports in Spain claim that a Newcastle delegation has travelled to Seville to open talks in a bid to seal a quick move.

Dragutinovic is aware of the interest from England and is keen on the switch and it now remains to be seen which club, if any, can broker a deal with Sevilla.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=479627&CPID=8&clid=43&lid=&title=PREM+DUO+BATTLE+FOR+DRAG

Does anyone know a great deal about him?

Another DLC.

Sam clearly wants a defender who can play both in the left and the centre.

Move to 3-5-2?

Sam clearly wants defenders and ones that can play in more than one position is a big plus.

Still reckon we are going 4-4-2.

Left back or centre back, ding dang do for me :D

As long as he's not shite. :lol:

Anyway, get this lad and a really good LB and we'll be just about OK, if not ideal.

Assuming he's any good, of course.

Left back or centre back, ding dang do for me :D

As long as he's not shite. :lol:

Anyway, get this lad and a really good LB and we'll be just about OK, if not ideal.

Assuming he's any good, of course.

Says in the article he is highly rated, must be true ;)

We know fook all about him but he's versitile, experianced and seemingly rated by a good club so he does tick a few boxes. Lets hope this one doesn't slip through the net.

Sevilla are a good team, so hopefully some good players play for them, and hopefully one of these good players is him.

Unless he goes to citeh, in which case, hope he's shit ;)

Guest SwissMagpie

Ive seen sevliia a lot last season and he was very soild tough tackling Defender.with very good head game.but doesnt have pace

A starter for European Super Cup and Spanish Cup winner can't be a bad player. Also starter for Serbian NT I think and most of all a defensive minded player which was Big Sam's priority. At the age of 31...can't be a long-term solution but surely brings some consistency to our leaking left side of the defence.

Guest winchestermag

Move to 3-5-2?

I wish.  I'd love for a team to come through and play purely offensive football with a strong three man defense.  I'd love even more for that team to be us.

Are we in England here?

Move to 3-5-2?

I wish.  I'd love for a team to come through and play purely offensive football with a strong three man defense.  I'd love even more for that team to be us.

Are we in England here?

He might not be.

Guest Guinness

He's a very solid player from what I've seen of him at Sevilla. Fits in with what Allardyce was saying about bringing in full backs who are physical enough to compete in the Premiership and primarily defend.

Guest David Kelly

Serbia & Montenegro will need Ivica Dragutinovic to make key contributions at both ends of the pitch if they are to progress from the group stage at Germany 2006. Equally at home at left-back or in the centre of defence, the 30-year-old is a key member of the 'famous four' defence that conceded just one goal in 10 games during the World Cup qualifying campaign as Ilija Petkovic's team topped their group ahead of Spain. Blessed with genuine pace and the ability to fire over pinpoint crosses, he is also a real danger going forward. Dragutinovic spent 10 years in Belgium with Gent and Standard Liege before joining Sevilla in August 2005, but his first season in Spain was blighted by injuries

This is from the Pakistan News Service (god knows how I ended up on that site) but it does say that he has genuine pace and crossing ability!

Serbia & Montenegro will need Ivica Dragutinovic to make key contributions at both ends of the pitch if they are to progress from the group stage at Germany 2006. Equally at home at left-back or in the centre of defence, the 30-year-old is a key member of the 'famous four' defence that conceded just one goal in 10 games during the World Cup qualifying campaign as Ilija Petkovic's team topped their group ahead of Spain. Blessed with genuine pace and the ability to fire over pinpoint crosses, he is also a real danger going forward. Dragutinovic spent 10 years in Belgium with Gent and Standard Liege before joining Sevilla in August 2005, but his first season in Spain was blighted by injuries

This is from the Pakistan News Service (god knows how I ended up on that site) but it does say that he has genuine pace and crossing ability!

Was he playing against Argentina?

Skysports.com confident that Man City are about to sign a left sided defender from Real Sociadad. 

Hopefully this improves our changes of getting this guy!

Javi Garrido. 22yo spanish left back. Sociedad boss Chris Coleman (How weird does that sound?) says ""He is a good player, but Manchester City has an interest in him and it is the decision of the player to go to England". Obviously a pretty ropey translation of a spanish quote but there you go. Various reports/rumours also suggest we're going to buy a (right-sided) defender from Croatia, so I don't think we'll be interested in Ivan Drago anymore. Made a bid, wasn't enough, moved on. He's all yours by the looks of things.

Guest Vigge

It is common knowledge that the serbs are a though crowd, seen him on telly in the spanish league tough fellow, got his share of red cards. Of course the Sevilla derby

is my favorite and it tends to get a bit messy there (by spanish standards) there, so has Drago on the occasions I've seen him. I think his style would be more accepted in the prem and he surely wouldnt lack the thoughness required. Good signing IMO