Allardyce - Dyer replacement revealed Thursday

Dave

call me crazy.

but does anyone else think smith could get the armband?

im sure sam said the other day he hadnt yet made his choice, and it could go to a new signing?

That is a very good, but very scary shout.

The defence picks itself, but I certainly can predict any of the team selections versus Bolton.

what is that defence then?

that would look good if we had more than 1 capable defender in the entire c****** squad

Rozehnal and Taylor are both capable defenders.

Even though I loath him, you have to count Carr as established as well.

Carr looked good against Juve, but he's got some way to go to convince me he's actually a capable defender.

Difference between capable and established.

Well yeah, but considering you replied to my post about capable defenders saying that "Carr is established as well" I assumed you meant established to mean capable in this case..

£5m for Heskey and £2m for Faye would be better than £6m on Smith if work ethic, graft, etc. is what we're after.

Smith wouldn't be my first choice but he will give us something different, sometimes you can play brilliant football and for some reason it just doesn't happen for you, at least Smith will give us a bit of a battering ram to unsettle the opposition defence, I quite liked him when he was at Leeds but don't think he's really developed that much at Man U.  If we get him then I'll reserve judgement on him and see how we play him and how he does.

I think Heskey is a better striker than Smith, I reckon Abdoulaye Faye is a better midfielder than Smith, for an extra £1m or whatever, you could have two better squad players than the single one doubling up.

Guest graemeh72

I'd be happy with Smiffy

I mean even if he broke his leg, he'd still have the heart to play more games than Dyer

.... obviously no truth in the rumour that KD failed Big Sams doping tests .. probably ... maybes

Guest Guinness

Having had a chance to reflect on this I can certainly see the sense in this move. Smith offers what Dyer would normally offer to the squad in terms of being able to play in midfield or attack. He doesn't have the pace of Dyer but he'll graft for the side and while his scoring record isn't great he's a better finisher than Dyer.

that would look good if we had more than 1 capable defender in the entire c****** squad

Rozehnal and Taylor are both capable defenders.

Even though I loath him, you have to count Carr as established as well.

Carr looked good against Juve, but he's got some way to go to convince me he's actually a capable defender.

Difference between capable and established.

Well yes I'd agree, but considering you replied to me post about capable defenders saying that Carr is established as well I assumed you meant established to mean capable..  Why else did you reply like that?

You thought I thought that established meant capable.

Meanwhile, I thought you thought that capable meant established.

:lol:

Heskey is a better striker than Smith? :lol:

Its like saying Ameobi is better than Henry...

Heskey is a much better striker than Smith when hes on form.

When hes off form, Smith just about shades it, but theres not much in it - and this is when Heskey is in his shell and everything he does looks poor.

When hes off form, Smith just about shades it, but theres not much in it - and this is when Heskey is in his shell and everything he does looks poor.

Emile Heskey hasn't been on form since 2002 though

call me crazy.

im sure sam said the other day he hadnt yet made his choice, and it could go to a new signing?

The defence picks itself, but I certainly can predict any of the team selections versus Bolton.

Right now, it is:

Carr Rozehnal Taylor Ramage

Though I'd expect it to be

Carr Rozehnal Taylor New LB

by Bolton. Four established defenders, plus another on the bench, plus Geremi backing up Carr. We cant revamp the whole defence overnight, and the established Carr will survive for now. Nothing anyone on here says will change that.

And that is a significant improvement on last season, like Isaid, we cant go from poor to great overnight, there has got to be some in between stage, in which Carr will play a part.

Last season he almost single handedly kept Wigan up. Even think he out-scored Martins in the league as well.

£5m for Heskey and £2m for Faye would be better than £6m on Smith if work ethic, graft, etc. is what we're after.

Smith wouldn't be my first choice but he will give us something different, sometimes you can play brilliant football and for some reason it just doesn't happen for you, at least Smith will give us a bit of a battering ram to unsettle the opposition defence, I quite liked him when he was at Leeds but don't think he's really developed that much at Man U.  If we get him then I'll reserve judgement on him and see how we play him and how he does.

I think Heskey is a better striker than Smith, I reckon Abdoulaye Faye is a better midfielder than Smith, for an extra £1m or whatever, you could have two better squad players than the single one doubling up.

Heskey and Smiths goal scoring records are pretty much the same.  Also Smith does have the age advantage (26 instead of 29 like both Hesky and Faye).  Also two players would likely cost more in wages.  But appart from that you've got a point, just replace Heskey with anyone but Heskey and I'd probably agree :)

Guest 22bnw

Nah completely disagree. Smith hasn't had the chance at Man Utd, he is a very good players. He earned an England call-up from midfield a while back and his performances for Man Utd towards the end of last season were immense.

How's that? Both graft, both work hard, both put themselves about a bit, but Heskey is the more powerful, and even a better goalscorer.

Heskey is basically the worst finisher we could find, let alone the fact that he's going to cost us at least 4-6m, and can play in only one position wich is a striker..

Smith used to be, and i believe he still can be an amazing player, last season for him was all about recovering from that nasty injurey he picked up, and since SAF was using him as a DMC most of the time his striking mentallty was a bit down, but he's strong, he can finish and is good in the air, and i really admire the fact that he can fight for every ball thats there to win..

call me crazy.

Right now, it is:

Carr Rozehnal Taylor Ramage

Though I'd expect it to be

Carr Rozehnal Taylor New LB

by Bolton. Four established defenders, plus another on the bench, plus Geremi backing up Carr. We cant revamp the whole defence overnight, and the established Carr will survive for now. Nothing anyone on here says will change that.

And that is a significant improvement on last season, like Isaid, we cant go from poor to great overnight, there has got to be some in between stage, in which Carr will play a part.

Carr Taylor Rozenhal Ramage

is a fucking disgrace

He still has his moments where he looks a decent forward.

Sum up this thread somneone?

We'll know who is replacing Dyer on Thursday, everyone reckons it's Smith, but are dissappointed. Sam also expects to sign 3 to 4 more after replacing Dyer.

Last season he almost single handedly kept Wigan up. Even think he out-scored Martins in the league as well.

AFAIK Heskey scored 8 goals in all competitions for Wigan last season, all of which were in the league.  Martins got 11 in the league and 17 total.

Guest Bramble OG

Sum up this thread somneone?

Smiths shite we want Heskey,Ameobi is better than Henry and we want some defenders