Allardyce - Dyer replacement revealed Thursday

Dave

Guest Gemmill

Signings!  Signings!  WE WANT SIGNINGS!

NOT THAT SIGNING!  We want ANOTHER signing!  A DIFFERENT one! 

:lol:

Think of squad building lads.  Think of having a player on the bench that can give us options.  Alan Smith will be neither first choice striker nor first choice midfielder, but he WILL give us some added depth to the squad.  Oh and stop fucking whining ffs!

£6m for a bench player when we have NO left back? Genius.

Do you HONESTLY think we're not looking at left backs then?  Do you think that's it, Sam's decided to fuck the defence off in favour of Alan Smith? 

Do you HONESTLY think we are going to sign 2 left backs, 2/3 centre backs and a right back before the window closes? Because they are a much bigger priority imho.

Given that Allardyce says we're bring in 4 players max, no I don't.  I still don't see what any of that's got to do with signing Alan Smith though.  If Dyer goes he needs replacing.  Allardyce still has 3 defensive signings in mind.  So we replace Dyer and we also try and get in those replacements.  It's not fucking rocket science.

and how is Smith a replacement for Dyer? They are completely different players (other than both being painfully average).

They can both play in midfield and attack.  Do you see now?

Dyer is and was shite in attack, and was an "attacking midfielder".

Smith was relatively poor up front, and crap in midfield.

Ah, yes, i see now. Thank you for enlightening me, with your Souness-esque tactical genius.

No problem.

Im pretty shocked by some of the shite on here tonight. Big Sam is building a squad. He will want players with different attributes to play in different games. Bringing Smith in gives us different options, especially away from home. He is a better manager than we have had recently. He looks at the big picture and isn't so stupid to think that every single signing has to improve our best 11. He will pick different players in different formations against different teams. Smith will fit into one of these systems, proberbly in games away from home and against some of the better sides at home.

The days of 442, pick your best 11 are long gone. It will change game by game, and Smith will be an important player.

If a player of Smith's quality becomes genuinely important to us, we are going to be struggling with the whole "top 10" thing.

Guest Gemmill

Im pretty shocked by some of the shite on here tonight. Big Sam is building a squad. He will want players with different attributes to play in different games. Bringing Smith in gives us different options, especially away from home. He is a better manager than we have had recently. He looks at the big picture and isn't so stupid to think that every single signing has to improve our best 11. He will pick different players in different formations against different teams. Smith will fit into one of these systems, proberbly in games away from home and against some of the better sides at home.

The days of 442, pick your best 11 are long gone. It will change game by game, and Smith will be an important player.

If a player of Smith's quality becomes genuinely important to us, we are going to be struggling with the whole "top 10" thing.

Someone should tell Premiership Champions Manchester United about that.

Personally i don't think we really need to replace Dyer, but if Allardyce thinks he needs another attacking player to come in then i'm fine by it. Smith won't get you many goals but he is a good player. An extra body won't do us any harm. Allardyce has his plans in his own mind for the way he wants our team to set up so if he does sign Smith then he obviously feels he needs him. I'm happy enough either way.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.  I hope he is in the squad for the Sampadoria match.  It would be a blast from the past to see Smith & Viduka line up together for each of their Newcastle debuts.

Guest goal!

Surprised at how much negative press Smith is getting. The lads a good versatile player who can play in midfield and up top. How many points have we pissed away over the years, especially away from home, as our supposed flair players- Dyer, Solano, Robert, Jenas, Pievert, Emre etc have gone missing and bottled it. Smith gives every game 100%.

Whats more, he's a top pro, never drinks and hardly likely to drag the clubs name through the mud with his off the field antics.

Never heard of the phrase 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Smith is no where near as versatile as Dyer (who can play DM, LM, RM, AM, RWB also CF and RB at a push.

Gives 110% < ability.

Being honest answer these questions:

1) Is Smith better than playing one of Milner, Solano or Zoggy in AM (IF Emre, Barton and Geremi are all injured)??? And is he worth spending £6m to cover this position!

2) Would you rather see Smith play ahead of Carroll (IF Owen, Martins, Viduka and Ameobi are all injured)?

I could understand the argument he's a good squad player if he was on a free or under £1m, but you don't spend £6m on a player to sit on the bench when you appear to be skint and absolutely desperate for practically a whole new defence in an overpriced market!

We can do a LOT better for the sort of money being mentioned is the main point.

Im pretty shocked by some of the s**** on here tonight. Big Sam is building a squad. He will want players with different attributes to play in different games. Bringing Smith in gives us different options, especially away from home. He is a better manager than we have had recently. He looks at the big picture and isn't so stupid to think that every single signing has to improve our best 11. He will pick different players in different formations against different teams. Smith will fit into one of these systems, proberbly in games away from home and against some of the better sides at home.

Steady mate. Keep on talking sense like that and you'll find yourself totally out of place on here.

Think of squad building lads.  Think of having a player on the bench that can give us options.  Alan Smith will be neither first choice striker nor first choice midfielder, but he WILL give us some added depth to the squad.  Oh and stop fucking whining ffs!

Do you HONESTLY think we're not looking at left backs then?  Do you think that's it, Sam's decided to fuck the defence off in favour of Alan Smith? 

Do you HONESTLY think we are going to sign 2 left backs, 2/3 centre backs and a right back before the window closes? Because they are a much bigger priority imho.

Given that Allardyce says we're bring in 4 players max, no I don't.  I still don't see what any of that's got to do with signing Alan Smith though.  If Dyer goes he needs replacing.  Allardyce still has 3 defensive signings in mind.  So we replace Dyer and we also try and get in those replacements.  It's not fucking rocket science.

Dyer doesn't need replacing. Thats not fucking rocket science either :lol:

Errr ok then.  I disagree.  What makes you think though that signing Alan Smith makes any difference to the availablility or likelihood of us signing defenders?  I'm really fucking intrigued.  Neither of us know who the targets are or how much money there is, but there's the immediate assumption by people that we've somehow blown our chances of bringing in defenders by spending the money we get on Dyer on a replacement.

We have 8 midfielder (not including kids) and 5 strikers (not including Carroll). Why do we need to spend £6m on Smith? If we are going so spend £6m on an average player I would much rather spend that £6m on an average defender.

As you yourself have said we aren't going to get complete cover for the defence so why is it so wrong for people to comment that they feel spending £6m on Smith is a waste of money?

We have a budget to sign the defenders Allardyce wants.  Up until a week or two ago, we had no idea Dyer was going.  Now he says he's going and Allardyce, previously assuming he was well-stocked in midfield, earmarks the money from the Dyer sale for a replacement.  He chooses Smith - whether that's right or wrong is up for debate.

What isn't up for debate is that the money that previously existed for defenders hasn't gone anywhere.  It's still there waiting to be sold.  In fact, if anything removing Dyer from the wage bill has probably added to it slightly, as Alan Smith won't be coming in on that sort of money.

So.  I'll ask again.  What is the problem with spending money from Dyer's sale on a replacement for Dyer when it hasn't impacted in the slightest on the money that was previously available for defenders.

Allardyce has just stood and said that the problems he's had getting players in has had nothing to do with a lack of funds, and everything to do with the quality of player he was looking at wanting European football, and being able to get it elsewhere.  So there doesn't seem to be a lack of funds.  That money is still there, the targets are still there.  So what's the problem?

Well it looks like his budget is for 3/4 defenders. We need more than that, would it stop the world spinning if we increased the budget for the defence to make sure we were properly covered?

Fact is if we start he season with 6 strikers (including Smith), 8 midfielders and 5 defenders we have gone wrong somewhere.

Personally i don't think we really need to replace Dyer, but if Allardyce thinks he needs another attacking player to come in then i'm fine by it. Smith won't get you many goals but he is a good player. An extra body won't do us any harm. Allardyce has his plans in his own mind for the way he wants our team to set up so if he does sign Smith then he obviously feels he needs him. I'm happy enough either way.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.  I hope he is in the squad for the Sampadoria match.  It would be a blast from the past to see Smith & Viduka line up together for each of their Newcastle debuts.

Relegation-tastic.

Guest Gemmill

Well said.  Honestly, I thought we'd all learnt over the last few years that our biggest problem was that we didn't have a squad.  We had a first 11 then an assortment of shite on the bench that represented a massive drop-off in quality from the players on the pitch, and that we needed to focus on building a squad of players of a certain quality that can do a job, but will have to settle at times with being rotated etc.  Some of us seemed to have cottoned onto this, but it's far fewer than I thought on the evidence of this thread.

When he was in the team they finished in their lowest premiership positions ever. When he got injured they won the league.

That the same Premiership Champions Manchester United that are selling him because he isnt good enough?

Relegation-tastic.

Champions league semi final tastic.

That the same Premiership Champions Manchester United that are selling him because he isnt good enough?

The same Premiership Champions that sold Ruud Van Nistlerooy and David Beckham.

Not good enough to oust the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo. Must be shit. :razz:

The same Premiership Champions that sold Ruud Van Nistlerooy and David Beckham.

Yep Smith is definitely on par with those 2 :lol:

Dyers replacement should be Abdoulaye Faye

Abdoulutely not!

Not replacement, but would be for £1mill.

obviously not a direct replacement in terms of where used on the pitch, but if he came in tomorrow and dyer left i would be pleased

Guest Bramble OG

As much as i dont really want Smith, Iam gonna trust SA on this one, Think Smiths the player we need to kick the shit out of and bully teams away from home as like bolton, And i really cant see any of our current team being given the task of standing on Lehmanns toes at corners. happy or not Lets just trust sam on this one eh?

also proves we dont have to sell to fund new defenders.

Not good enough to oust the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo. Must be shit. :razz:

Im sorry but his point was he was playing for the Premiership Champions, my point was he clearly isn't good enough.

Don't see your point tbh?

Would not shock me if its a West ham player we are getting as a swap or cash going either way + a player. Seems to have a replacement for him lined up a bit to quick..

Just watch though we will get all hyped up waiting for news tomorrow and nothing happens.

Guest Gemmill

Dyer doesn't need replacing. Thats not fucking rocket science either :lol:

Errr ok then.  I disagree.  What makes you think though that signing Alan Smith makes any difference to the availablility or likelihood of us signing defenders?  I'm really fucking intrigued.  Neither of us know who the targets are or how much money there is, but there's the immediate assumption by people that we've somehow blown our chances of bringing in defenders by spending the money we get on Dyer on a replacement.

We have 8 midfielder (not including kids) and 5 strikers (not including Carroll). Why do we need to spend £6m on Smith? If we are going so spend £6m on an average player I would much rather spend that £6m on an average defender.

As you yourself have said we aren't going to get complete cover for the defence so why is it so wrong for people to comment that they feel spending £6m on Smith is a waste of money?

We have a budget to sign the defenders Allardyce wants.  Up until a week or two ago, we had no idea Dyer was going.  Now he says he's going and Allardyce, previously assuming he was well-stocked in midfield, earmarks the money from the Dyer sale for a replacement.  He chooses Smith - whether that's right or wrong is up for debate.

What isn't up for debate is that the money that previously existed for defenders hasn't gone anywhere.  It's still there waiting to be sold.  In fact, if anything removing Dyer from the wage bill has probably added to it slightly, as Alan Smith won't be coming in on that sort of money.

So.  I'll ask again.  What is the problem with spending money from Dyer's sale on a replacement for Dyer when it hasn't impacted in the slightest on the money that was previously available for defenders.

Allardyce has just stood and said that the problems he's had getting players in has had nothing to do with a lack of funds, and everything to do with the quality of player he was looking at wanting European football, and being able to get it elsewhere.  So there doesn't seem to be a lack of funds.  That money is still there, the targets are still there.  So what's the problem?

Well it looks like his budget is for 3/4 defenders. We need more than that, would it stop the world spinning if we increased the budget for the defence to make sure we were properly covered?

Fact is if we start he season with 6 strikers (including Smith), 8 midfielders and 5 defenders we have gone wrong somewhere.

Allardyce has targets in mind and a budget to suit those targets.  Should he be scrapping that and going back to the drawing board because we've suddenly had a windfall?  Or should he maintain his focus on those targets, in the knowledge that he has the funds to purchase them, and spend the Dyer money on someone he sees as a suitable replacement?

I would have thought the latter was the glaringly obvious course to take.

As for "we need more than x" defenders.  Allardyce has decided a) how many he wants, and b) how many are available that he can attract.