Allardyce - Dyer replacement revealed Thursday

Dave

Im pretty shocked by some of the s**** on here tonight. Big Sam is building a squad. He will want players with different attributes to play in different games. Bringing Smith in gives us different options, especially away from home. He is a better manager than we have had recently. He looks at the big picture and isn't so stupid to think that every single signing has to improve our best 11. He will pick different players in different formations against different teams. Smith will fit into one of these systems, proberbly in games away from home and against some of the better sides at home.

The days of 442, pick your best 11 are long gone. It will change game by game, and Smith will be an important player.

If a player of Smith's quality becomes genuinely important to us, we are going to be struggling with the whole "top 10" thing.

Someone should tell Premiership Champions Manchester United about that.

That the same Premiership Champions Manchester United that are selling him because he isnt good enough?

Do you think we can attract squad players that ARE good enough to play for Man United like?

Nope, I don't think we are in a position to be signing players in positions we are already well stocked in either.

I give up.  Honestly, the manager has defensive targets identified and he's replacing a midfielder/attacker that he's sold.  I just think it's so much the common sense thing to do, and yet it's completely beyond the grasp of some of you.

I'm only up to here in the thread but if anyone manages to argue against this i'll be surprised.

It may come up in the next 4 pages but has anyone considered the value of Smith in a 433? He could play in 4 attacking positions in our manager's favourite formation. Proabably not even considered by the experts.

I pointed it out the other day, Chez > http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=43382.msg942676#msg942676

He's not going to benefit us as much as someone with pace would and isn't worth £6 million.

He's a very limited player who gets stuck in, he the sort of player I wouldn't want as an attacking midfielder.

call me crazy.

but does anyone else think smith could get the armband?

im sure sam said the other day he hadnt yet made his choice, and it could go to a new signing?

That is a very good, but very scary shout.

The defence picks itself, but I certainly can predict any of the team selections versus Bolton.

what is that defence then?

Right now, it is:

Carr Rozehnal Taylor Ramage

Though I'd expect it to be

Carr Rozehnal Taylor New LB

by Bolton. Four established defenders, plus another on the bench, plus Geremi backing up Carr. We cant revamp the whole defence overnight, and the established Carr will survive for now. Nothing anyone on here says will change that.

And that is a significant improvement on last season, like Isaid, we cant go from poor to great overnight, there has got to be some in between stage, in which Carr will play a part.

Carr Taylor Rozenhal Ramage

is a f****** disgrace

But still better than last season. Do you have no concept of improvement?

is it though?

seems to be exactly the same to me, with much less cover

Im pretty shocked by some of the s**** on here tonight. Big Sam is building a squad. He will want players with different attributes to play in different games. Bringing Smith in gives us different options, especially away from home. He is a better manager than we have had recently. He looks at the big picture and isn't so stupid to think that every single signing has to improve our best 11. He will pick different players in different formations against different teams. Smith will fit into one of these systems, proberbly in games away from home and against some of the better sides at home.

The days of 442, pick your best 11 are long gone. It will change game by game, and Smith will be an important player.

If a player of Smith's quality becomes genuinely important to us, we are going to be struggling with the whole "top 10" thing.

That the same Premiership Champions Manchester United that are selling him because he isnt good enough?

Do you think we can attract squad players that ARE good enough to play for Man United like?

Nope, I don't think we are in a position to be signing players in positions we are already well stocked in either.

I give up.  Honestly, the manager has defensive targets identified and he's replacing a midfielder/attacker that he's sold.  I just think it's so much the common sense thing to do, and yet it's completely beyond the grasp of some of you.

I'm only up to here in the thread but if anyone manages to argue against this i'll be surprised.

It may come up in the next 4 pages but has anyone considered the value of Smith in a 433? He could play in 4 attacking positions in our manager's favourite formation. Proabably not even considered by the experts.

I pointed it out the other day, Chez > http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=43382.msg942676#msg942676

He's not going to benefit us as much as someone with pace would and isn't worth £6 million.

He's a very limited player who gets stuck in, he the sort of player I wouldn't want as an attacking midfielder.

i've similarly looked at where he might fit in if we play 4-3-3 and i don't think he'd be much of an asset to be truthful. no more than a player like Heskey.

looking at smith in the midfield positions, what exactly does he offer over a player like parker, who at least has the benefit of occupying his natural position when he plays there.

To borrow a phrase from Bobby, he is tenacious, he's also got quick feet, enjoys a tackle and has an eye for goal. Yes, £6m is too much but if he comes for £3m are you unhappy as a replacement for another versatile attacking player?

Have they said something about a swap or is it speculation?

Rumour only AFAIK.

A proper rumour or a Parky rumour?

Only what people have speculated on here. So the latter.

i've similarly looked at where he might fit in if we play 4-3-3 and i don't think he'd be much of an asset to be truthful. no more than a player like Heskey.

looking at smith in the midfield positions, what exactly does he offer over a player like parker, who at least has the benefit of occupying his natural position when he plays there.

I agree with you mate.

I'd prefer it to be either someone with pace who can get beyond the striker and help us stretch games on the counter attack, other than that someone technical with good vision who play through balls into the strikers.

Smith represents everything I don't want from an attacking midfielder.

To borrow a phrase from Bobby, he is tenacious, he's also got quick feet, enjoys a tackle and has an eye for goal. Yes, £6m is too much but if he comes for £3m are you unhappy as a replacement for another versatile attacking player?

No, I didn't want him when we were linked with him the other week for £3.5 million as he isn't going to improve the first team, he's slow, reckless in the tackle and hardly scores up front let alone in midfield.

Think this is a bit of a sideways step, if it is Smith.

If he is coming as a squad player then why leave Man Utd and why turn down other clubs who would probably put him in the first XI automatically? He'll expect and be expected to challenge for and hold down a first team place, whether he's up to that is another matter. I don't think Butt is such a huge obstacle to the first team.

I can tolerate this one, we could do better than Smith but we could also do worse, he's an underwhelming but low risk signing. I'd rather we went for someone like Lassana Diarra (as I keep saying) but this isn't the end of the world.

Has anyone seen this quote that's in the Times, I must have missed it if it's been mentioned:

Allardyce: "Has there been a bid made for Alan from Newcastle? There have been many bids made."

we shall see... suprised none of the papers have picked up on any potential Dyer replacement in the offing.

Sam said hopefully one or two by the end of the week. So one in tmrw would be possible with the second maybe spilling over to the weekend.

3 defenders and defensive midfield and a replacement for Dyer would do me.

Any transfer at the moment would seem a suprise!

As for the 433 argument, he has an eye for goal and a telling pass, his link up play is good and is far more attack minded than f****** parker.

His finishing is decent, good even, no arguements there. But hes got the same attributes as a 34 year old Shearer, minus the strength. As a striker, hes always going to find it very hard to come by chances because hes so easy to mark out of a game as someone who has little movement, pace or flair/dribbling in his game.

As for the Parker comparisons, surely you can see the similarities if were talking about Smith as a midfielder? The only thing Smith did for ManU in central midfield was getting stuck in and winning the ball often, along with very basic passing, whilst playing centrally (ie not an attacking midfielder). Parker does the same things, but to a much better standard.

Does the fee really matter? Of course it'd be nice if it was lower, but still it's hardly breaking the bank is it?

It wont if Smith turns out to be a success here - and I dont mean with the crowd, because its going to be very easy for him to get their backing given the type of player he is, but on the pitch, if his attributes are used well and are effective for the team.

But still, its quite clear that a fair few of us see him as an average player at best with a bit of bite, and to be selling Dyer and purchasing that calibre of player for a pretty big fee is obviously going to see some relucatance/criticism from those fans.

Make no mistake though, im sure we'll all be backing him when he arrives and when hes putting in crunching tackle after crunching tackle and scoring the odd goal to boot.

Guest MIKELMAN11

I would like to see shaun wright phillips  as he would be a better replacement for dyer than smith who i dont rate as a midfielder pretty good forward but not midfielder ,  SWP didnt play much last season for chelsea and his form wasnt great but if he plays more then you have a very good player .