Everything falling into place?

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Sam will have a back-up list in case his number one targets failed to materialize like all good managers have, so effectively, he isn't being forced into signing these players ala Roeder with Bernard or Sibierski, he's signing players he rates and wants at the club, although not as much as those on his number one list of targets, obviously. And lets not forget that Big Sam profiles all potential signings first, so will know all about his targets. It isn't as if he's picking names out of a hat now :lol:

jizz fest alert. I'm really sure he's profiled these players. I bet he could tell you their resting heart-beat without even looking it up tbh

Don't be mean to HTT, he's the only reason you haven't been banned forever.

I'm the only reason he hasn't grown a tache and started wearing a heart monitor tbh

:lol:

Do you think another manager would've been more successful in the transfer market, then, Vic?

I think someone more high profile might have fared a bit better don't you?

but at the end of the day that's a pretty stupid question isn't it

Yes.

Guest Invicta_Toon

nope, I'm going to tell you their ages and their Premiership experience. Well, I already have done, so that's that then

or it was a reason why Roeder would not have gone for them. or is your memory really that short?

Excellent, so basically you've informed us of something that we already knew, I can only guess that the Roeder comment was just something that randomly appeared.

That's a first, somebody using Roeder to try and get a point across.  :lol:

in response to a post about what Roeder knew? aye totally unexpected

.......not knowing SA exact budget, I suspect it is limited by the looks of things (guessing) that he has made some reasonable acqusitions (Geremi the best so far). Roze looks like he is also going to be reliable. If we're comparing to ManC then we already have 2/3 players who can make things happen/clinical etc and they didn't. So that is where Sven has been strengthening with his sexy purchases. What we needed above all was mf cover and a rock of a def and we're on the way to that imo. Kappa does look about 40 though. Having done a bit of research the left back is a real def full back which has been SA idea all along hence the no chase of Baines et al. I hope though there is one BIG purchase in this window.

why are you still guessing at his budget. it's bloody obvious he has plenty to spend

he can't get out of his Bolton mould pure and simple, pick up old free transfers with their careers behind them

Are you saying that all the clubs who aren't in europe can only buy free transfers and players nobody else wants for small fees ?

NUFC are well known among British players as one of the biggest clubs in the country now - unlike before the Shepherd and Halls - we are also well known throughout europe too having played in europe more than 100 times, the vast majority in the last 15 years.

For whatever reason, if we aren't paying the going rate, then they aren't coming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/08/02/sfnbon102.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

Allardyce said he couldn't get the players he wanted because we don't have European football,  Chris Mort has said that he couldn't get the players Allardyce wanted because we don't have European football.

so have you thought of the reason why Liverpool, leeds and Chelsea all got bigger crowds than us pre-1992, and now don't - seeing as you asked it yourself ?

nope, I'm going to tell you their ages and their Premiership experience. Well, I already have done, so that's that then

or it was a reason why Roeder would not have gone for them. or is your memory really that short?

Excellent, so basically you've informed us of something that we already knew, I can only guess that the Roeder comment was just something that randomly appeared.

That's a first, somebody using Roeder to try and get a point across.  :lol:

in response to a post about what Roeder knew? aye totally unexpected

.......not knowing SA exact budget, I suspect it is limited by the looks of things (guessing) that he has made some reasonable acqusitions (Geremi the best so far). Roze looks like he is also going to be reliable. If we're comparing to ManC then we already have 2/3 players who can make things happen/clinical etc and they didn't. So that is where Sven has been strengthening with his sexy purchases. What we needed above all was mf cover and a rock of a def and we're on the way to that imo. Kappa does look about 40 though. Having done a bit of research the left back is a real def full back which has been SA idea all along hence the no chase of Baines et al. I hope though there is one BIG purchase in this window.

why are you still guessing at his budget. it's bloody obvious he has plenty to spend

he can't get out of his Bolton mould pure and simple, pick up old free transfers with their careers behind them

Well he should get in for Ballack (20m), Deco(14m), Motta(7m) etc then...And we'd also have a world class left back now woudn't we...

....Or are you wooshing me?  :blush:

Smith you see will be a success at newcastle...we all love passionate, hard working players here and Smith is just that, granted he's not 'world class' but we are building a club back up here and Smith is the sort of player we need right now and for £6m is fairly cheap in todays market. As far as im concerned we are in a far greater position than we was 12 months ago! People are so negative on this thing....stop moaning and get behind the toon!!!!!!  :clap2:

Smith you see will be a success at newcastle...we all love passionate, hard working players here and Smith is just that, granted he's not 'world class' but we are building a club back up here and Smith is the sort of player we need right now and for £6m is fairly cheap in todays market. As far as im concerned we are in a far greater position than we was 12 months ago! People are so negative on this thing....stop moaning and get behind the toon!!!!!!  :clap2:

i agree,

12 months ago we had only bought in - Martins, Sibi, Rossi and Bernard

So far we have bought - Barton, viduka, Roz, Geremi and looks like we have Smith, Cacapa and Dragutinovic.

i know which window i have preferred.

think quality not quantity.

People were happy when we bought Boumsong and Babayaro because we needed defenders, remember ?

Does it occur to anyone that the reason we haven't bought players who can step straight into the premiership, for instance, is because we won't pay the going rate ?

It doesn't take a genius to work out where that path will lead.

Time will tell. One thing is for sure though, if we are still buying players in this price bracket in 12 months time, people will be crying out for trophy quality signings.

I'm happy with Allardyce, but thats all at the moment.

Does it not occur to you that maybe a club that has just finished the season in 13th and has no European football to offer might be down the list of clubs that some players might want to play for?

but we are still getting bigger crowds than Liverpool, Chelsea and Leeds, although they ALL got better ones than us pre-1992 ? Have you thought about your reason for this yet ?

In actual fact, just so you can't accuse me of not answering - such as you are declining to do re the above - no, I don't think buying British players who know about Newcastle, the fans and the city, should be too much of a problem at all. Not like it was when we were really mediocre, before the Halls and Shepherd took over the club that is. As we have played over 100 games in europe, probably the 5th most in England, I can't see how the vast majority of foreigners haven't heard of us either, can you ?

The problem is, we are appearing to be looking at the same market as those days again ie free transfers, and cheap 30 year olds. Being a long term supporter, you should know this, but I realise you wont' admit it. The simple fact is, when the old board spent vastly more money and attracted players, they were still slated by people like you, and told to find more money, now you are finding excuses for not finding any.

I am more than happy with Allardyce, but any good position we get this season will be achieved in spite of him not being backed by his board. Like it or not, that is true unless something happens in the next month.

Have you thought that Allardyce is happy with the players he's bringing in?

by his own admission they are not his first choices. probably not even close

I didn't say they were, Vic.

He clearly knows the players he wants to bring here, if he's to be believed the reason he can't get them is because they've turned us down because we don't have European football, that leaves him the choice of going out and spending money on players he doesn't really want or snapping up players on free transfers that he feels will improve on what we've got and are good enough to get us into a European place next season, that way leaving him free to sign the players he wants in either January (if we look like qualifying) or next summer.

Are you saying that all the clubs who aren't in europe can only buy free transfers and players nobody else wants for small fees ?

NUFC are well known among British players as one of the biggest clubs in the country now - unlike before the Shepherd and Halls - we are also well known throughout europe too having played in europe more than 100 times, the vast majority in the last 15 years.

For whatever reason, if we aren't paying the going rate, then they aren't coming.

I'm saying Allardyce seems a cautious manager when it comes to spending money.

He's said players he wants won't come because we're not in Europe, do you think he's lying?

Do you think he should go out and spend money on players who are not the players he wants only to have to try and sell them next summer to get the players he does want?

If the truth be told you're just gutted that your mate Shepherd got the boot, you conveniently ignore the fact he left us £80 million in debt, partly by borrowing money to back Souness in the transfer market, some may call it showing ambition well the majority call it stupidity, now Ashley has come in and you expect him to spend money out of his own pocket to keep up with the spending of Man City and Portsmouth, you never once expected the old board to put their own money in but were happy to defend them while they took millions out of the club in dividends.

I'm not sure what you would prefer tbh, Ashley to do well and for us to win a trophy or him to fail so you can tell everyone that you said all along they might not be better in Shepherd, either way you're making yourself look a bitter old man at the moment with a massive chip ob your shoulder.

I'm not old, I'm the same age as Allardyce and Roeder, and I'm not bitter, or if I am, the only thing I'm bitter about is the fact that for 30 years of supporting this club we sold our best players, and hunted around the free transfer market and bargain basements for the vast majority of our signings. It got us real mediocrity, the sort of mediocrity and disillusion that you would not believe.

For 15 years we had a board who aimed high, they made mistakes, but had ambition and came closest to winning stuff that nobody else did, tried to sign top players and consolidate high league positions, and now all of a sudden we have a board that is doing the same things as the arseholes who ran the club between 1964 and 1992 did.  It's an absolute joke that fans such as you and others like you can't see this to such an extent that you said when we signed a decent player, a "trophy" player. Pathetic. And - I don't give a flying fuck how much money they spent, the club generated money and filled the ground and attempted to capitalise on the support. It didn't quite succeed, but they didn't have to prove they had the ambition any more, they had already done that.

Smell the coffee. Face facts, and stop making excuses. To say that I don't want this club to be successful is absolutely ridiculous, I've waited a damn sight longer than most of you on here for success. And I can recognise a manager who isn't happy when I see it, unlike you. There are a few people who wanted Shepherd out who have actually read all these signals, instead of being completely blind because they don't want to see them, and credit to them.

If in 12 months time this board have proved their ambition, I will be happy, and if in the long run they match the Champions League finishes achieved under the last one, as a minimum, then this takeover has indeed been worth something, but if they don't, then its all worth bugger all.

I go by facts, league positions, not personalities, and hope. And right now, its anything but rosy. They have shown us nothing.

Guest Invicta_Toon

i agree,

So far we have bought - Barton, viduka, Roz, Geremi and looks like we have Smith, Cacapa and Dragutinovic.

the one with a billion quid to spend, rather than £5m? clever boy

so have you thought of the reason why Liverpool, leeds and Chelsea all got bigger crowds than us pre-1992, and now don't - seeing as you asked it yourself ?

I said they didn't because they didn't have Shepherd as chairman, poor bastards.  :rolleyes:

I said they didn't because they didn't have Shepherd as chairman, poor bastards.   :rolleyes:

To clarify, Shepherd - and the Halls - ran the club in such a way as to attract all the missing thousands of fans then - including you ?

People were happy when we bought Boumsong and Babayaro because we needed defenders, remember ?

Does it occur to anyone that the reason we haven't bought players who can step straight into the premiership, for instance, is because we won't pay the going rate ?

Time will tell. One thing is for sure though, if we are still buying players in this price bracket in 12 months time, people will be crying out for trophy quality signings.

Does it not occur to you that maybe a club that has just finished the season in 13th and has no European football to offer might be down the list of clubs that some players might want to play for?

but we are still getting bigger crowds than Liverpool, Chelsea and Leeds, although they ALL got better ones than us pre-1992 ? Have you thought about your reason for this yet ?

In actual fact, just so you can't accuse me of not answering - such as you are declining to do re the above - no, I don't think buying British players who know about Newcastle, the fans and the city, should be too much of a problem at all. Not like it was when we were really mediocre, before the Halls and Shepherd took over the club that is. As we have played over 100 games in europe, probably the 5th most in England, I can't see how the vast majority of foreigners haven't heard of us either, can you ?

The problem is, we are appearing to be looking at the same market as those days again ie free transfers, and cheap 30 year olds. Being a long term supporter, you should know this, but I realise you wont' admit it. The simple fact is, when the old board spent vastly more money and attracted players, they were still slated by people like you, and told to find more money, now you are finding excuses for not finding any.

I am more than happy with Allardyce, but any good position we get this season will be achieved in spite of him not being backed by his board. Like it or not, that is true unless something happens in the next month.

He clearly knows the players he wants to bring here, if he's to be believed the reason he can't get them is because they've turned us down because we don't have European football, that leaves him the choice of going out and spending money on players he doesn't really want or snapping up players on free transfers that he feels will improve on what we've got and are good enough to get us into a European place next season, that way leaving him free to sign the players he wants in either January (if we look like qualifying) or next summer.

He's said players he wants won't come because we're not in Europe, do you think he's lying?

Do you think he should go out and spend money on players who are not the players he wants only to have to try and sell them next summer to get the players he does want?

If the truth be told you're just gutted that your mate Shepherd got the boot, you conveniently ignore the fact he left us £80 million in debt, partly by borrowing money to back Souness in the transfer market, some may call it showing ambition well the majority call it stupidity, now Ashley has come in and you expect him to spend money out of his own pocket to keep up with the spending of Man City and Portsmouth, you never once expected the old board to put their own money in but were happy to defend them while they took millions out of the club in dividends.

I'm not sure what you would prefer tbh, Ashley to do well and for us to win a trophy or him to fail so you can tell everyone that you said all along they might not be better in Shepherd, either way you're making yourself look a bitter old man at the moment with a massive chip ob your shoulder.

I'm not old, I'm the same age as Allardyce and Roeder, and I'm not bitter, or if I am, the only thing I'm bitter about is the fact that for 30 years of supporting this club we sold our best players, and hunted around the free transfer market and bargain basements for the vast majority of our signings. It got us real mediocrity, the sort of mediocrity and disillusion that you would not believe.

For 15 years we had a board who aimed high, they made mistakes, but had ambition and came closest to winning stuff that nobody else did, and now all of a sudden we have a board that is doing the same things as the arseholes who ran the club between 1964 and 1992 did. And - I don't give a flying f*** how much money they spent, the club generated money and filled the ground and attempted to capitalise on the support. It didn't quite succeed, but they didn't have to prove they had the ambition any more, they had already done that.

Smell the coffee. Face facts, and stop making excuses. To say that I don't want this club to be successful is absolutely ridiculous, I've waited a damn sight longer than most of you on here for success. And I can recognise a manager who isn't happy when I see it, unlike you. There are a few people who wanted Shepherd out who have actually read all these signals, instead of being completely blind because they don't want to see them, and credit to them.

If in 12 months time this board have proved their ambition, I will be happy, and if in the long run they match the Champions League finishes achieved under the last one, as a minimum, then this takeover has indeed been worth something, but if they don't, then its all worth bugger all.

I go by facts, league positions, not personalities, and hope. And right now, its anything but rosy. They have shown us nothing.

You haven't given them a chance to do anything!

Both Allardyce and Mort have said the money is there if Allardyce wants it? Do you think they are lying?

I'm quite shocked reading some of your guys' replies in here. Sam Allardyce is just what we need right now, he will do a better job than both Roeder and Souness, no doubt. I think he is re-building the squad just the way he did with Bolton - that's what he's good at, right? :coolsmiley:

Some of you guys are so damn impatient, and it looks like you won't be satisfied until we have signed the entire football world. I guess what it all comes down to is that you see West Ham , Man City and so on, being taken over by rich guys and spending money like there's no tomorrow - jealousy or fear? .. you pick...

Spending a lot of cash doesn't guarantee success, you know...

I'd much rather see us building a decent long-lasting side, and at the same time focus on the clubs' debt. One could definitely argue what's most important - in the long-term, speaking purely economical... clearing the debt is essential...

Regarding the squad, I agree that it is (very9 thin at the moment, and I'm sure EVERYBODY knows that, EVERBODY. Whining about it in here, is not making any difference. That's just my opinion...

For 15 years we had a board who aimed high, they made mistakes, but had ambition and came closest to winning stuff that nobody else did, and now all of a sudden we have a board that is doing the same things as the arseholes who ran the club between 1964 and 1992 did. And - I don't give a flying f*** how much money they spent, the club generated money and filled the ground and attempted to capitalise on the support. It didn't quite succeed, but they didn't have to prove they had the ambition any more, they had already done that.

Both Allardyce and Mort have said the money is there if Allardyce wants it? Do you think they are lying?

They don't say why the players have turned us down. And if they have money what was all that bollocks at the weekend about "sell before you buy" and Allardyce going on about "they would be mad not to back me now".

And - food for thought - I don't mind Mort saying that we have money but you can bet your arse if Shepherd had said it he would have been slated.

YOU have said yourself that we need better quality players than what we have brought. My take is that this board has to understand they have to be prepared to pay for these players, and so far, all I have seen is going by the managers statement that they don't understand this and worse still are trying opposing him.

Allardyce will walk, if this board don't back him.

Erm, they have said why they are struggling to attract players. The 'sell before you buy' was press fabrication.

I don't beleive it...THere is no way that applies to all the players we might have approached, some yes...But I don't buy it as a blanket excuse.

In saying that I think we're ticking along nicely. :razz:

Smith will give us a bit of grit, determination and desire. Which never does you any harm in away games. Far better than all the homers we have at the club right now, especially from the more "technically talented" players who don't give a toss.

He'll do a damn sight more over a season for the club than the likes of Ameobi, Dyer, Emre and Parker thats for sure.

Patience is all we need for success, same goes for every club but more so with Newcastle. Our impatience in the transfer market and the stands have been the downfall of this club for far too long, so what we're seeing here is careful squad building. Strengthening the foundations so that maybe in the next year or so, we can build more dramatically on. Read back on what Mort said about it being a long term situation and the fact Sam has mentioned over and over that patience will deliver this club success.

We all know about stability gained at clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd (not Chelski) was from having a good manager that has been given time to succeed.

I think this summer has already seen the foundations being laid for the future and if we keep on supporting like we should, providing faith in Sam, Chris and Mikes judgments then we'll reap the rewards.

We should never forget the situation we were in last season. We need to keep comparing it to the current season and remind ourselves of how much things have changed for the better. Optimism is slowly flowing back into the Newcastle area after such a long, long absence and so we need to keep up that momentum.

I can't wait to see how it unfolds because as we all know, being Newcastle united means theres something interesting always around the next corner, hopefully looking ahead, there'll be nice surprises O0

Erm, they have said why they are struggling to attract players. The 'sell before you buy' was press fabrication.

has Dire left today

Did you miss the part about him wanting to leave?

They don't say why the players have turned us down. And if they have money what was all that bollocks at the weekend about "sell before you buy" and Allardyce going on about "they would be mad not to back me now".

And - food for thought - I don't mind Mort saying that we have money but you can bet your arse if Shepherd had said it he would have been slated.

YOU have said yourself that we need better quality players than what we have brought. My take is that this board has to understand they have to be prepared to pay for these players, and so far, all I have seen is going by the managers statement that they don't understand this and worse still are trying opposing him.

Allardyce will walk, if this board don't back him.

Allardyce has said he can't get the players he wants because we don't have European football, have you got quotes from Allardyce or Mort saying they have to sell before they can buy?

You're moaning about what people would have said if Shepherd was in charge but I don't remember you moaning at the time, did you moan the summer we sold Woodgate? It seems you're whinging on now because people moaned about Shepherd.

I've said we need better defenders but what do you do if the players the manager wants won't come here? spend money on others just for the sake of spending?

Are you happy with the 6 players we should have in this time tomorrow? What about their aim to bring down the debt, a debt that's costing us £6 million a year in interest alone, you happy about them trying to reduce that?

has Dire left today

We had to buy because we sold a player. There's a difference between that and having to sell before you can buy.

Quite frankly I find it laughably ironic that NE5 takes offence at people slating Shepherd after TEN YEARS in charge, and he's given the new guy all of a few weeks before doing the very same thing himself.

Telling people to 'stop making excuses' - you couldn't make it up. :lol:

i agree,

the one with a billion quid to spend, rather than £5m? clever boy

Thanks for the compliment.

For 15 years we had a board who aimed high, they made mistakes, but had ambition and came closest to winning stuff that nobody else did, tried to sign top players and consolidate high league positions, and now all of a sudden we have a board that is doing the same things as the arseholes who ran the club between 1964 and 1992 did.  It's an absolute joke that fans such as you and others like you can't see this to such an extent that you said when we signed a decent player, a "trophy" player. Pathetic. And - I don't give a flying f*** how much money they spent, the club generated money and filled the ground and attempted to capitalise on the support. It didn't quite succeed, but they didn't have to prove they had the ambition any more, they had already done that.

What are you on about with "For 15 years we had a board who aimed high, they made mistakes, but had ambition and came closest to winning stuff that nobody else did."  Are you trying to change history again or have we never won anything?

How do you prove if this lot is more or less ambitious than the last lot?

Is getting on top of the spiralling debt left behind by the last lot a sign of ambition?

Is this lot coming up with a short term, medium term and long term plan a sign of ambition?

If this lot qualify for the CL once will they be as good as Shepherd?

If they finish second once, are they better than Shepherd?

What will you see as success and a sign of ambition?