To All North American Toon Fans.

Guest JamesD

Guest JamesD

Fox Soccer Channel has posted the schedule for both august and september (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/4802370), and unfortunately newcastle are only being shown once in that entire time period, against villa on august 18th.  Really too bad, as this year I'll actually be able to watch every game available, so hopefully future months will be better in terms of games shown.

Setanta plus FSC was the way to go last season. I only missed maybe 3 or 4 league games. Setanta's coverage is terrible, though. Tons of tech problems, dropped feeds, late starts, etc. Hopefully they'll do better this season. Plus, with DirecTV you get Setanta Xtra, which gives you more coverage.

Guest Texasmag

Setanta plus FSC was the way to go last season. I only missed maybe 3 or 4 league games. Setanta's coverage is terrible, though. Tons of tech problems, dropped feeds, late starts, etc. Hopefully they'll do better this season. Plus, with DirecTV you get Setanta Xtra, which gives you more coverage.

Agree.  I think Setanta like the Toon as most of the games were shown.

Is Setanta Xtra channel 670?

Setanta's coverage is terrible, though. Tons of tech problems, dropped feeds, late starts, etc.

Really?  I always thought Setanta had a better picture quality than FSC, didn't have tons of loud and annoying commercials, actually had a decent half-time and post-game presentation, didn't delay games so they could start their programs on the hour like FSC did, and used Sky coverage quite frequently, which is always a good thing.  FSC are amateurs when it comes to presenting soccer, unlike Setanta.

I have been using ITVN for about a year now via internet. Yes their choice of games are way better than FSC but it is so annoying to see my box display "Buffering , please wait..." right in the middle of the game. Yes it happens! Not often, but it happens. So, do anyone has experience with their satellite feed via dishnetwork or directtv?

Guest nufcfan76

I have DTV/HD Tivo and FSC and Setanta. While I agree that eveyone on FSC should be shot for their lack of knowledge and poor pronunciation of player names, it's really the best thing going here in the States by far. And with the package that I have currently, I was able to see about 20-25 games last season when seasons before I would only be able to see about 4-6; so it's getting better, albeit slowly. I also have a contact in San Francisco who is the head of Setanta, a Liverpool fan, and he said they are working like dogs to get more games but the EPL and broadcasting rights makes it tough - you'd figure that the EPL would want to distribute more to this market, but... and while Setanta's coverage seems a bit 3rd world (drop outs, late starts, no score bar) it's better than what we've had in the past.

Oh, last season it here's how it worked: Each channel, FSC and Setanta would pick the games they would broadcast, so with 7-8 open time slots per weekend there's a pretty good chance of seeing them each weekend. If not there's always the internet with Amish tickers...

Guest nufcfan76

Well, you can go to Setanta.com, but their schedule is always changing on the fly. It's best to look on your channel guide by scanning ahead on Thursday evening. That's why I have Tivo- just plug in you want anything with the word "Newcastle" in the title and you're set.

Guest Texasmag

Off topic a bit I know, but does anyone watch Fox Football Fone-in? If so any idea when it is coming back on the screen? I heard Nick has left to be a professional poker player.

Whats Amish tickers? :undecided:

Guest steppingrazor

if you don't have satellite, lots of pubs subscribe to setanta as well.  i'll be watching the bolton match at mad dog in the fog in s.f.  nothing better than football and brown ale at 7am on a saturday morning...

Guest nufcfan76

I have no idea about FF9, nor have I ever heard of it. As for Amish tickers, Sky Sports, BBC or .cock has them- they are graphics which show game events with things like scorers, fouls, free kicks, cards, etc.- a distant second to watching the game but if all we got with no televised games, well?

Guest nufcfan76

Agreed, we have a couple here in Sac, but I'd rather be in my jammies screaming my lungs out in the privacy of my own home. Besides, 7am is why i have Tivo baby!

Guest JamesD

So I've been looking at setanta broad band, and it seems like it could be a great deal for us north american fans. 12 dollars a month, or 150 a year (yearly rate includes PPV events) and you get to watch champions league/uefa cup, french league 1, the championship, dutch league,FA and Carling Cups and i read that they will be including the premiership starting this month.

Guest Texasmag

I have no idea about FF9, nor have I ever heard of it. As for Amish tickers, Sky Sports, BBC or .cock has them- they are graphics which show game events with things like scorers, fouls, free kicks, cards, etc.- a distant second to watching the game but if all we got with no televised games, well?

I listen to the game on Newcastle World if the game is not on the telly. Tivo is just not the same as watching it live.

Guest nufcfan76

I would rather drink rocket fuel on the surface of the sun that listen/watch NW- it's plain crap, with crap technology and there are better alternatives (Metro). As for the broadband I'll look into it, thanks. But believe me, Tivo is a god send when games are on at 4am here in Cali.

Guest Texasmag

I could never get Metro. I did listen to Century, but most times they were braodcasting the Boro game. Now you cannot get it at all as it is only for UK listeners.

The only reason I have NW is because I got sick of mucking around trying to get a live feed. Listening to Mick Lowes is better than nothing. :undecided: