"Spend" Goran Eriksson

NSG

Bojinov is hardly a world class talent.. he has a good shot on him, and he can play with both feet, but he's a bit of a trouble maker and if things don't go right for him from the start, chances are that he'll flop, like he did at Fiorentina and Juve..

Petrov is a typical inconsistent Robert-like winger, he likes to run with the ball on the left, has a good cross and a decent shot, also good at set pieces, but just like Robert has a habit of isolating himself near the touch line and is either brilliant or absolutely terrible during games..

i'm not sure if they can cut it in the PL, although i said the same about Berbatov last year and he raised his game a lot for Spurs..

Guest Knightrider

The proof will be in the pudding, i.e. how City perform on the pitch. Tactically I think he's a poor manager and motivationally I don't think he's the best either. He'll make City hard to beat by being organised and he'll hope his individuals do the business for him, much like with England. Trouble is the Premiership is more about the team these days and not the individual like it was in the early 90s where anyone with a 25 goal striker could wreck havoc on the league. Today such a player won't even guarantee you a top half finish.

Eh? :lol:

02/03 - VRoy scored 25, Henry had 24 and Beattie had 23. Manyoo won the title, Arsenal came second and Southampton finished 8th.

03/04 - Only player who scored more than 25 goals was Thierry Henry (30). Pretty sure he guaranteed Arsenal a top half finish. Well, actually, they won the title.

04/05 - Same shit. Henry scored 25, second was Andy Johnson with 21. No one else got more than 14. Arsenal came second. The only anomaly in all the cases is Johnson's Palace who got relegated even though he scored 21 goals.

05/06 - Henry scored 27, VRoy scored 21, no one else had more than 18. Pretty sure Henry really helped Arsenal in that season as well.

06/07 - Drogba finishes top scorer with a measley (relatively speaking) 21 goals, Chelsea come second.

If you have a striker who'll get you 20 league goals in a season, you're almost guaranteed a top half finish, let alone a striker who can get you 25, who'll, historically speaking, guarantee you a top 2 finish.

In regards to Sven, people still think too much of his time with England. Comparing clubs and countries is like comparing fruits and vegetables - the two things are just different, they cannot be compared. Sven's job as manager of City will mean he'll be in control of many more factors that will affect a player's performance than when he was manager of England. Bear in mind that. And also bear in mind his exemplary record as a club manager. City will be a force to be reckoned with, especially if Thaksin keeps the money flowing.

I said early 90s...

Guest yoshi

shinawatra has already done so much at that club you wouldnt believe it, the boys who i know from man u told me, one of them is friends with the physio, the things hes put into motion are top class

Like what?

First day at the training ground went into the gym and talked to the fitness staff, was told the whole gym was worth £15,000 and immediately gave them a budget of £500,000 to redo it.

Bought in the top medical facilities for the training ground.

Gave sven a bidget of 50million to work with for his first summer, to lay foundations and guaranteed 100mil for next summer as he said the whole club is now set for the path of the champions league. Thats all that is said now amongst all staff, champions league by 2009/2010.

He has also gave finances so the best of everything can be brought in.

All backroom staff now have a limitless budget to help bring in whatever they need to maximise each players performance. The money that is available to everyone is sensational

I'm more interested to know what hes' going to do IF they don't perform. Still believe his intention is to use the Premiership to keep his profile high in football-crazy Thailand, so don't expect him to take a back seat throughout the season. He obviously won't settle for mid-table mediocracy, because that won't give him the club - and thus himself - the attention he needs.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but I didn't trust him a bit before and I still don't trust him now. Just my two-cents. :)

The proof will be in the pudding, i.e. how City perform on the pitch. Tactically I think he's a poor manager and motivationally I don't think he's the best either. He'll make City hard to beat by being organised and he'll hope his individuals do the business for him, much like with England. Trouble is the Premiership is more about the team these days and not the individual like it was in the early 90s where anyone with a 25 goal striker could wreck havoc on the league. Today such a player won't even guarantee you a top half finish.

Eh? :lol:

02/03 - VRoy scored 25, Henry had 24 and Beattie had 23. Manyoo won the title, Arsenal came second and Southampton finished 8th.

03/04 - Only player who scored more than 25 goals was Thierry Henry (30). Pretty sure he guaranteed Arsenal a top half finish. Well, actually, they won the title.

04/05 - Same shit. Henry scored 25, second was Andy Johnson with 21. No one else got more than 14. Arsenal came second. The only anomaly in all the cases is Johnson's Palace who got relegated even though he scored 21 goals.

05/06 - Henry scored 27, VRoy scored 21, no one else had more than 18. Pretty sure Henry really helped Arsenal in that season as well.

06/07 - Drogba finishes top scorer with a measley (relatively speaking) 21 goals, Chelsea come second.

If you have a striker who'll get you 20 league goals in a season, you're almost guaranteed a top half finish, let alone a striker who can get you 25, who'll, historically speaking, guarantee you a top 2 finish.

In regards to Sven, people still think too much of his time with England. Comparing clubs and countries is like comparing fruits and vegetables - the two things are just different, they cannot be compared. Sven's job as manager of City will mean he'll be in control of many more factors that will affect a player's performance than when he was manager of England. Bear in mind that. And also bear in mind his exemplary record as a club manager. City will be a force to be reckoned with, especially if Thaksin keeps the money flowing.

I said early 90s...

And I was referring to your comment 'Today such a player won't even guarantee you a top half finish'. Such a player being a 25-goal striker I'm assuming? That's why I've shown you that 'today' (ie. in the last 5 years), any team that has a striker who scores 20+ goals is guaranteed a top half finish, and furthermore, is probably actually guaranteed a European place. The only anomaly was Andy Johnson and that, to an extent, can be explained by the fact that he scored something like 10 penalties.

• 1 month later...

Sven didn't have to replace a whole defence on a budget. We have to give Sam January, I hope to be pleasantly suprised with some creativity arriving if the money's available.

Smith was signed as Dyer's replacement remember. Not Barton. Dyer is closer to an Elano-type than Barton is.

yeah, barton is probably more like johnson, good all rounder and bursts into the box well. a midfield three of Geremi-Barton-Elano would be nice!

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Smith was signed as Dyer's replacement remember. Not Barton. Dyer is closer to an Elano-type than Barton is.

yeah, barton is probably more like johnson, good all rounder and bursts into the box well. a midfield three of Geremi-Barton-Elano would be nice!

A midfield three is not working at our club.

But it might do if we had someone in the Elano mould as one of the three rather than Alan fooking Smith.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

But it might do if we had someone in the Elano mould as one of the three rather than Alan fooking Smith.

I suppose. But I still think that Elano would prefer to have two strikers in front of him and Milner and Martins are playing as wingers.

Not that Elano will come here.

I suppose. But I still think that Elano would prefer to have two strikers in front of him and Milner and Martins are playing as wingers.

Not that Elano will come here.

Elano only had Mpenza in front of him today, and he's crap. with the likes of barton, n'zogbia and martins making runs beyond him, elano would thrive here. shame we missed out on him, at such a bargain price. from the little ive seen of him he looks like the sort of player man utd, arsenal or liverpool would love to have.