José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

They don't need to be mega rich. Liverpool FC makes a lot of money when managed properly, just like Newcastle United does.

i'm curious what impact a lack of europen football would have on their income, part of the reason for larger income was the champions league money, hell even europa league would still offer more gate money, a lack of it could impact their spending, and i'd question any clubs sanity for spending 15m on a left back with a year left on his contract

They don't need to be mega rich. Liverpool FC makes a lot of money when managed properly, just like Newcastle United does.

It also spends a lot of money when it gives big, expensive contracts to players signed by Rafa Benitez and Woy Hodgson. It also spends a fair chunk of money dispensing of managers that have expensive contracts.

It then has to spend a lot of money through squad turnover as the new managers realise the previous chap had signed some dud players.

Wasn't there another team who failed to qualify for the Champions League, changed managers quickly, signed a lot of new players and then signed one of England's top strikers (who spent a fair bit of time injured) in a club record signing on a monster contract, designed to assure the supporters that the club had the right ambition...?

???

They'll be well aware that the only way they can get back to the top level is by buying top players like Jose though. You can't try and get there on the cheap then spend it when you get it, it doesn't work. Shepherd tried that in 2003 and blew it.

All their fans care about is winning matches and achieving stuff, like ours used to.

It's pathetic that fans of our club are happy to see one of our best players go if the price is seen as being right when we have no track record of spending incoming transfer fee's. 

It's pathetic that fans of our club are happy to see one of our best players go if the price is seen as being right when we have no track record of spending incoming transfer fee's. 

what else can we do if a player doesn't want to be here? as far as i'm concerned if a player doesn't want to play for the club get rid

They'll be well aware that the only way they can get back to the top level is by buying top players like Jose though. You can't try and get there on the cheap then spend it when you get it, it doesn't work. Shepherd tried that in 2003 and blew it.

All their fans care about is winning matches and achieving stuff, like ours used to.

Oh, I don't know...

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/liverpoolecho/jun2009/4/1/hillsborough-460-996953569.jpg

http://www.kopsource.com/wp-content/postimages/308-spirit_of_shankly_protest.jpg

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/liverpoolecho/oct2009/2/4/image-1-for-gallery-liverpool-fc-supporters-stage-protest-march-against-the-club-s-american-owners-447176558.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/12/article-1055230-02C071D7000004B0-390_468x546.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Clubs/Club_Home/2010/8/5/1281039304316/Liverpool-fans-002.jpg

http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/9608187.jpg

what else can we do if a player doesn't want to be here? as far as i'm concerned if a player doesn't want to play for the club get rid

We could try to make the players feel we are actually going in the right direction as a club.  Bring in good players and our better players will want to stay.

We can compete with them, the point is that we've proved we're unwilling to try.

You're acting like the club is doomed when it comes to finding a good replacement.  

Its more to do with the club selling it's best players, rather than building a team around them. We should be looking to keep the likes of Enrique rather than listen to offers from the likes of Liverpool. It also means that we now have to go out and find a replacement, which will take up time and effort that should be given to finding new forwards and decent squad players.

You're turning everything upside down. Everybody is blaming the club because it's not trying to keep its best players. But what should Pards do? He knows that the only way he could keep enrique is through offering him the same wages as lpool, around 80 a week. Enrique is good, but he's not worth £80 a week! We'll find continental players with the same potential that settles for 1/3 of that salary. Right now, we cannot afford to match Enrique "ambitions" (read salary). If a player refuses to sign, the club has to sell him. Do you want him to leave for free?

I agree that we must build a team, but the reality of giving Enrique a lucrative contract is that our war chest is reduced accordingly. Enrique on 80 a week for 5 years= £20 mill . That's over half of Carroll's money. Consequently we only have £15 mill  to buy a two new attackers, a rm, lm, and defensive reinforcements.  Of course we'll be covered on lb for years, but Enriques new salary results in us having no money to buy a a proper backup. What will then happen if Enrique suddenly is injured for 6 months?And we're not able to fork out good money on promising attackers. Instead we will be dependent on Carr making Tiote discoveries again, which is very unlikely. So instead of buying 5-6 very promising players this summer, we're stuck with 3-4 mediocre ones, at best. In reality then, Enrique must fill the shoes for those good players we miss out on. That will in sum leads to a weaker team, than a team without Enrique.

And  if Enrique is given that amount, what's stopping Barton from claiming similar wages during his contract negotiations? And maybe it will p*ss HBA off too, since he's arguably the best player in the club, but is earning probably 2/3 of Enrique.  Giving one player special treatment will start a "salary spiral" that could potentially unsettle the whole player group, which is something I do not want.

Guest Roger Kint

We could try and match his ambition, fairly obviously.

What if his ambition is Champions League next season or Spanish caps asap? Two things we cant offer which he knows he can get elsewhere(or at least signifigantly improve his chances)

Not as obvious as you think given we dont know his actual reasons.

especially when theres Taiwo available on a free.

Enrique is better.

But is Enrique better than Taiwo and £15m spent on a new right winger/central midfielder/striker?

I know its dependent on spending the money wisely, but IF it is then its the way forward for the club in the next couple of years. That's the harsh reality, a summer like 96 won't happen again unless we get bought out by a crazy Dubai dude.

Of course I'd prefer Enrique to stay and £15m be made available.

Guest icemanblue

We can compete with them, the point is that we've proved we're unwilling to try.

You're acting like the club is doomed when it comes to finding a good replacement. 

Its more to do with the club selling it's best players, rather than building a team around them. We should be looking to keep the likes of Enrique rather than listen to offers from the likes of Liverpool. It also means that we now have to go out and find a replacement, which will take up time and effort that should be given to finding new forwards and decent squad players.

You're turning everything upside down. Everybody is blaming the club because it's not trying to keep its best players. But what should Pards do? He knows that the only way he could keep enrique is through offering him the same wages as lpool, around 80 a week. Enrique is good, but he's not worth £80 a week! We'll find continental players with the same potential that settles for 1/3 of that salary. Right now, we cannot afford to match Enrique "ambitions" (read salary). If a player refuses to sign, the club has to sell him. Do you want him to leave for free?

I agree that we must build a team, but the reality of giving Enrique a lucrative contract is that our war chest is reduced accordingly. Enrique on 80 a week for 5 years= £20 mill pounds. That's over half of Carroll's money. Consequently we only have £15 mill pounds to buy a two new attackers, a rm, lm, and defensive reinforcements.  Of course we'll be covered on lb for years, but Enriques new salary results in us having no money to buy a a proper backup. And we're not able to fork out good money on promising attackers. Instead we will be dependent on Carr making Tiote discoveries again, which is very unlikely. So instead of buying 5-6 very promising players this summer, we're stuck with 3-4 mediocre ones, at best. In reality then, Enrique must fill the shoes for those good players we miss out on. That will in sum leads to a weaker team, than a team without Enrique.

And  if Enrique is given that amount, what's stopping Barton from claiming similar wages during his contract negotiations? And maybe it will piss HBA off too, since he's arguably the best player in the club, but is earning probably 2/3 of Enrique.  Giving one player special treatment will start a "salary spiral" that could potentially unsettle the whole player group, which is something I do not want.

...and I stopped reading. Which, incidentally, is a lot longer than I give the vast majority of your posts.

Enrique is better.

He is, but Taiwo is much better value for money. Without Europe next season, the money saved there would really help to strengthen other areas. Hopefully this is how they're thinking too because I'd be gutted to lose Jose.

What if his ambition is Champions League next season or Spanish caps asap? Two things we cant offer which he knows he can get elsewhere(or at least signifigantly improve his chances)

When has he ever said his ambition is for Champions League next season?  He has mentioned wanting to play for his country and he can do that here if we are giving him enough recognition through our profile.

Enrique is better.

But is Enrique better than Taiwo and £15m spent on a new right winger/central midfielder/striker?

I know its dependent on spending the money wisely, but IF it is then its the way forward for the club in the next couple of years. That's the harsh reality, a summer like 96 won't happen again unless we get bought out by a crazy Dubai dude.

Do you think Taiwo would sign for us?

Enrique is better.

We already have 35m available apparently?

I thought we already had £35 million to spend, do we need £15 million to spend on the positions you mention?

Guest Roger Kint

When has he ever said his ambition is for Champions League next season?  He has mentioned wanting to play for his country and he can do that here if we are giving him enough recognition through our profile.

What does my last sentence say?

I agree that we must build a team, but the reality of giving Enrique a lucrative contract is that our war chest is reduced accordingly. Enrique on 80 a week for 5 years= £20 mill . That's over half of Carroll's money. Consequently we only have £15 mill  to buy a two new attackers, a rm, lm, and defensive reinforcements.  Of course we'll be covered on lb for years, but Enriques new salary results in us having no money to buy a a proper backup.

Going off your own logic (non-linear, I know): the club have already budgeted £40,000 pw for Enrique's current wages (or thereabouts). So surely the supposed £80,000 pay-rise only translates to committing £10million over 5 years. So the club would have to find £2million per season to keep our best left-back.

You could easily give Enrique a statistical points value, which I'll randomly assign as being +6points. I.e. if he's in the squad, then he'll turn out enough times and contribute an additional six points to the team's performance. Six points is worth about 4 places in the final league standings (even more this season). Each league place is worth an additional £500,000 prize money to the club. So those six points he contributes (over A.N. Other player at LB) are worth approx £2million.

Can't afford him?