José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

I know it's old hat, but still made me chuckle:

Enrique is reported to have made the switch to Newcastle as he is a keen fan of 5 aside football and cant wait to visit Harton & Westoe Colliery to view some of the matches.

"Chris Goodall has done amazing." said the Spaniard on a break from his heavy training regime. "To create a league with as many great teams as Pleased To Beat You, OAP, Entertainers, Avin A Laff, S and R and No Hope Stanhope is truly amazing. Obviously, as with all leagues you get some poor sides, but you also have to admire the work ethic of these teams. Take the B team for example. They are hopeless, yet they still turn out each week in their tens. That is why I have moved to England. For the passion and commitment and hopefully I can win something for these brilliant fans.

Guest Toonie

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1086280,00.html

ALBERT Luque has welcomed the arrival of fellow Spaniard Jose Enrique to St.James' Park and has told supporters the Magpies have signed a "great" player.

The Under-21 international penned a five-year deal at Gallowgate on Monday, joining from La Liga outfit Villarreal in a 9.3 million euros deal.

And Luque believes the Geordie fans will take to a player who is famed for his no-nonsense defending, an approach which has earned him the nickname 'The Bull' in his homeland.

The former Deportivo star said: "He is a young, exciting player and I know he had a very good season with Villarreal last year.

"I think he will be an excellent signing for Newcastle and will become a great player.

"He's a powerful, quick player who will be suited to this league and I'm looking forward to playing with another Spaniard."

Luque admits he spoke with Jose before the young defender clinched his move to Tyneside, and says now that he has arrived will do all he can to help his fellow countryman settle in the North East.

"I spoke with him for one hour about Newcastle and told him all about the Club and the Premier League," he added.

"I will do all I can to help him to settle in the area and I think Newcastle fans will like Jose."

Guest Toonie

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1086170,00.html

NICKNAMED 'The Bull' by Spanish fans for his style of defending, the left-back joined us from Villarreal on August 6.

Arriving on a five-year deal, Jose Enrique has been capped at U21 level and was regarded as one of the rising talents of La Liga.

He follows in the footsteps of Marcelino and Albert Luque as Spaniards who have moved to St. James' Park. And standing at six feet tall, he will bring added height to the Newcastle backline.

Jose Enrique has taken the number three shirt for the Magpies.

why would you compare him to those blokes. he hasnt even played a game but in the back of everyone one's mind he might be  a flop now.

Villarreal have annouced that Jose is doing a press conference over there tommorow,  at 11:30am to say goodbye etc to the fans there.  Might be some interesting quotes that come out of it.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Villarreal have annouced that Jose is doing a press conference over there tommorow,  at 11:30am to say goodbye etc to the fans there.  Might be some interesting quotes that come out of it.

Top stuff will be worth a listen/read

Top stuff will be worth a listen/read

If you're spanish :D

Apparently he was on Radio Marca earlier saying that they already knew about the interest from Newcastle about a month ago more or less.

Makes me feel a little better, knowing this wasn't a rush-job as earlier reported  blueyes.gif

Never for a second thought it was a rush job. Infact Allardyce has probably had him scouted since midway through last season. I imagine he has piles of player information for every position.

Strictly speaking, I think it was the deal itself that was a rush job. Allardyce probably knew of him but had him down in the "nice but unlikely" category of signings. When it turned out he was there to take, we took him.

No shilly-shallying, I like it :D

Guest arkanoider

I'm going to this press conference. If I'm able to enter, I will tell you evrything about it.  More news soon...

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'm going to this press conference. If I'm able to enter, I will tell you evrything about it.  More news soon...

Does somebody want to be a forum legend following in the footsteps of LucasUnger and Number09?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Spanish sighs at Enrique swoopAug 8 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United’s signing of Jose Enrique is not just the talk of the Toon – but all the talk in Spain.

And the concensus is that United have picked up a tremendous acquisition in the 20-year-old left-back, signed in a £4.2m transfer from Villarreal.

Barcelona-based football consultant Oliver Fowler – a Geordie and big United fan – told me today: “Supporters over here cannot believe Enrique (pictureed below) has gone to Newcastle.

“The feeling in Spain is that he would eventually end up at either Real Madrid or Barcelona, and United have done a great job getting him.

“I can say without reservation he is a brilliant signing.

“He is not a 27- or 28-year-old carthorse but a 20-year-old with great potential, and I would be amazed if that potential was not realised at St James’ Park.

“As a Newcastle fan over in Spain, I can only look and think that the new manager understands the transfer market after he has managed to get in such a good player at such a reasonable price.

“Not only that, but after reading what Sam had to say in the Chronicle via the internet on Monday, I admire the way chairman Chris Mort and chief operating officer Russell Cushing pushed the deal through so quickly, with Liverpool and Man City ready to pounce.”

Fowler has always kept an eye on Albert Luque and has been dismayed at the striker’s form at St James’ Park.

He says: “Luque has had a couple of tough seasons at Newcastle, but things could be a lot better now.

“He is no big-time Charlie but an easy-going guy who deserves a chance this season.”