Why do we bother with Shola?

Parky

Guest eyeball_tickler

he scored 2 goals coming off the bench against valerenga a few years back so it only really 2 in 90.

it speaks volumes that a lot of the praise he's had in this thread is "he tries"

Guest optimistic nit

i prefer to only count league performances when doing player statistics, dunno if keefaz is the same though.

Guest TampaToon

One thing that bothers me a bit at the moment is he looks bigger than ever now. He looks like he's been working on the weights and looks more heavily muscled. That might affect his stamina, and it was noticeable that he seemed to be blowing a bit in the Sampdoria game. Hopefully, it's just a lack of match-sharpness.

the man hasn't played in a football match for nearly a year, he's absolutely going to struggle.

Bollocks. Look at ameobi's overall contribution to a game and it's mimimal. Who really expects him to do anything with the ball?

there's maybe a dozen strikers in the premiership who can affect a game for a full 90 minutes, most of the rest disappear for long stretches (even entire games) before popping up to score the odd goal.  like many players who play in the shadow of a great player for many years, (or positional tradition at a club like Newcastle), shola's biggest crime was not keeping the Alan Shearer standard

the question that still hasn't been answered is - who exactly would people put behind our top 3 or 4 strikers that would match shola's ability and his willingness to fight for his playing time without disrupting the team? i'd be willing to bet he's one of the most effective and experienced #4 or #5 strikers in the premiership.

i prefer to only count league performances when doing player statistics, dunno if keefaz is the same though.

I do normally, tbh. I was quoting all matches, there. It's really 2 in 69 from the bench in Prem matches, and 25 in 93 when starting.

He scored a good goal against Barcelona at camp nou iirc, Solano, Dyer in the build up and him finishing it from an angle past the keeper.

He was awesome. I remember everyone raving about him after that, thinking he'd really push on. Excellent display from him the whole match, up front by himself.

He scored a good goal against Barcelona at camp nou iirc, Solano, Dyer in the build up and him finishing it from an angle past the keeper.

He was awesome. I remember everyone raving about him after that, thinking he'd really push on. Excellent display from him the whole match, up front by himself.

He bullied Desailly at SJP and scored an excellent goal from outside the box. He was closely marked and held Desailly off and scored on the turn. Someone might remember when that was?

It was Drogba-esque tbh. Not saying i'm a massive fan but he has shown he has got ability in the past. 

He bullied Desailly at SJP and scored an excellent goal from outside the box. He was closely marked and held Desailly off and scored on the turn. Someone might remember when that was?

It was Drogba-esque tbh. Not saying i'm a massive fan but he has shown he has got ability in the past. 

Wasn't that Shearer who did that? I'm pretty sure it was.

Err, that was Shearer.

Ameobi's goal in that match was a left foot shot from about 15 yards out iirc, into the bottom corner?

That was the game where Shearer scored the beauty as well, I think?

Three seasons ago I believe, maybe even more.

Anyone who thinks he's completely useless needs to have a word in all honesty. Just because he's inconsistent and generally seems to underperform doesn't mean you have to pretend he's woeful or anything.

Some of the abuse Shola gets on here is shocking, and a disgrace, in all honesty.

Err, that was Shearer.

Ameobi's goal in that match was a left foot shot from about 15 yards out iirc, into the bottom corner?

Err, no it wasnt, it was right foot just on the edge of the area, Leazes end and it went into bottom right. Ball from mid-way, chests it down and turns Desailly. I'll bet money on it.

To be honest, i dont rate him as a player, but i believe hes a good 4th striker,  off the top of my head i cant think of any teams who can say that they have 4ths striker who'd they'd be happy to have in the starting line up, well no one out of the top 5 anyway, overall he's ample.

Err, that was Shearer.

Err, no it wasnt, it was right foot just on the edge of the area, Leazes end and it went into bottom right. Ball from mid-way, chests it down and turns Desailly. I'll bet money on it.

I still think that was Shearer not Ameobi.

Err, that was Shearer.

You're both right, they both scored quality goals in that match.

Shearer's overshadowed Shola's as it was better, but Shola's was still a quality goal as well.

That was the game where Shearer scored the beauty as well, I think?

Three seasons ago I believe, maybe even more.

Anyone who thinks he's completely useless needs to have a word in all honesty. Just because he's inconsistent and generally seems to underperform doesn't mean you have to pretend he's woeful or anything.

Some of the abuse Shola gets on here is shocking, and a disgrace, in all honesty.

He does get an inordinate amount of shit for some reason. He's got talent, is committed and scores goals on a regular(ish) basis. He gives defenders a hard time and must be a nightmare to play against.

But, hey, he's inconsistent and lollops about the place so he deserves everything he gets... :rolleyes:

Err, that was Shearer.

Shearer isnt black though...? The lad who scored the goal i'm on about was though. Keefaz might be able to tell us.

Err, that was Shearer.

Shearer isnt black though...? The lad who scored the goal i'm on about was though. Keefaz might be able to tell us.

Viana passed it to Shola, swivelled and turned Desailly and stuck it into the bottom corner.