Allardyce Interview in The Times - transfers, season's targets and the fans...

EthiGeordie

RB for me. I'm afraid Carr is not good enough for where we are going with Big Sam. Mind you I'd hope the RB is firstly good at defence while some attacking ability would be a bonus. A playmaker would be the icing on the cake for me. like lots of others I'm looking forward to going to SJP unlike most of last season  :thup:

Guest Phil K

Very impressed by an excellent interview.

Seems every time he opens his mouth, he comes out with a LOT of sense.

The opposite of the last 2 managers, and SBR in his last two full seasons.

"it’s important the public realise they have a part to play. One of the things I’ve picked up on is that a lot of the players are finding it increasingly difficult to play at home.

“The fans are so demanding, and while we all accept they are the most passionate and supportive of all when things are going well, there is a downside, which is how they single out individuals for criticism in a way that becomes destructive. It doesn’t only affect that one player, it gets to the others too. They all think, ‘When’s it going to be my turn?’

“It was Scott Parker towards the end of last season and Nicky Butt before him. To his credit, Nicky has overcome it. He’s gone through it, come out the other end and now the fans like him, but not everybody will do that. The supporters need to understand we all want to be successful and are all trying all the time. It doesn’t matter whether you like a player’s personality or not, he will try his best.

“Sometimes, because of the pressure, it may not look like it. It can get to the stage where they can’t see beyond the end of their noses. Abuse can make you fearful of accepting a pass, let alone making one, and unable to express yourself. We need more of a happy medium. If we’re crap, of course everybody is entitled to say so. That’s fine, but don’t say we’re ‘diabolical’ or ‘it’s an absolute disgrace’ when we’ve been borderline poor. What we don’t want is a knee-jerk ‘This player should never wear a Newcastle shirt again’, because nailing somebody like that won’t make him better, it will make him want to leave.”

:clap:

Well fucking said.

How many of the muppets who boo will read that though? Can only hope that people who do boo and shout crap at players get quickly shouted down themselves by others, or even told to shut the fuck up.

But for the lads to be increasingly worried about playing at home is terrible, the opposite to what we would really wish for. Hopefully that information makes it into programme notes too.

About this booing malarky. I honestly think we've been fed so much drivel, shit and excuses over the last 3 years, that it was inevitable that we (the fans) would crack.

Lets hope with the positives coming out of the club, when something goes wrong, or somebody fucks up, we can see how far we've come, and respect that.

The bit about signings "in the next few days" doesn't actually carry a proper quote, I don't think we should expect anything, but hopefully it will turn out to be right.

Please bring in someone like Quaresma, have you seen his goal against belgium? Fantastic stuff!

Judging a player on one goal. Tut Tut......................

cracking player mind.

Guest Guinness

Allardyce said in the Sun that one of them wasn't happening, " a no go" in his words. However he said the other one is still on.

I think Mario Yepes name was mentioned.

Possibly reference to the Drago deal collapsing.

Allardyce said in the Sun that one of them wasn't happening, " a no go" in his words. However he said the other one is still on.

I think Mario Yepes name was mentioned.

Possibly reference to the Drago deal collapsing.

Aye its possible.

Please bring in someone like Quaresma, have you seen his goal against belgium? Fantastic stuff!

Judging a player on one goal. Tut Tut......................

cracking player mind.

Im not judging him just for that goal, it was just an example.  He is fantastic!

Sometimes, because of the pressure, it may not look like it. It can get to the stage where they can’t see beyond the end of their noses. Abuse can make you fearful of accepting a pass, let alone making one, and unable to express yourself. We need more of a happy medium. If we’re crap, of course everybody is entitled to say so. That’s fine, but don’t say we’re ‘diabolical’ or ‘it’s an absolute disgrace’ when we’ve been borderline poor. What we don’t want is a knee-jerkThis player should never wear a Newcastle shirt again’, because nailing somebody like that won’t make him better, it will make him want to leave.”

Big Sam reads this forum!

"it’s important the public realise they have a part to play. One of the things I’ve picked up on is that a lot of the players are finding it increasingly difficult to play at home.

“The fans are so demanding, and while we all accept they are the most passionate and supportive of all when things are going well, there is a downside, which is how they single out individuals for criticism in a way that becomes destructive. It doesn’t only affect that one player, it gets to the others too. They all think, ‘When’s it going to be my turn?’

“It was Scott Parker towards the end of last season and Nicky Butt before him. To his credit, Nicky has overcome it. He’s gone through it, come out the other end and now the fans like him, but not everybody will do that. The supporters need to understand we all want to be successful and are all trying all the time. It doesn’t matter whether you like a player’s personality or not, he will try his best.

“Sometimes, because of the pressure, it may not look like it. It can get to the stage where they can’t see beyond the end of their noses. Abuse can make you fearful of accepting a pass, let alone making one, and unable to express yourself. We need more of a happy medium. If we’re crap, of course everybody is entitled to say so. That’s fine, but don’t say we’re ‘diabolical’ or ‘it’s an absolute disgrace’ when we’ve been borderline poor. What we don’t want is a knee-jerk ‘This player should never wear a Newcastle shirt again’, because nailing somebody like that won’t make him better, it will make him want to leave.”

Well f****** said.

Out of all these posts i cant belive that only a handful of posters has pointed out the most important thing he said in that entire article...bollocks to the signings, its the quote above. It show how ignorant nufc fans are when they are unable to assess the effects of there booing on a players performnace. In the end, we're all supporters and thats exactly what she should f****** doing. In my humble opinion you support till the very last second. People are quick to point out how "we are the best supporters in the world" its the same people who seem to forget that at times, we can also be the most destructive.

Well f****** said.

Out of all these posts i cant belive that only a handful of posters has pointed out the most important thing he said in that entire article...bollocks to the signings, its the quote above. It show how ignorant nufc fans are when they are unable to assess the effects of there booing on a players performnace. In the end, we're all supporters and thats exactly what she should f****** doing. In my humble opinion you support till the very last second. People are quick to point out how "we are the best supporters in the world" its the same people who seem to forget that at times, we can also be the most destructive.

Read the thread title mate, it tends to happen that people post about what the thread title is actually about.

"its important the public realise they have a part to play. One of the things Ive picked up on is that a lot of the players are finding it increasingly difficult to play at home.

The fans are so demanding, and while we all accept they are the most passionate and supportive of all when things are going well, there is a downside, which is how they single out individuals for criticism in a way that becomes destructive. It doesnt only affect that one player, it gets to the others too. They all think, Whens it going to be my turn?

It was Scott Parker towards the end of last season and Nicky Butt before him. To his credit, Nicky has overcome it. Hes gone through it, come out the other end and now the fans like him, but not everybody will do that. The supporters need to understand we all want to be successful and are all trying all the time. It doesnt matter whether you like a players personality or not, he will try his best.

Sometimes, because of the pressure, it may not look like it. It can get to the stage where they cant see beyond the end of their noses. Abuse can make you fearful of accepting a pass, let alone making one, and unable to express yourself. We need more of a happy medium. If were crap, of course everybody is entitled to say so. Thats fine, but dont say were diabolical or its an absolute disgrace when weve been borderline poor. What we dont want is a knee-jerk This player should never wear a Newcastle shirt again, because nailing somebody like that wont make him better, it will make him want to leave.

Well f****** said.

Good post mate. It's imperative that the fans, especially those going to home games, realise how much they can actually affect the game. We can't have players not being confident when performing at home.

Sometimes, because of the pressure, it may not look like it. It can get to the stage where they cant see beyond the end of their noses. Abuse can make you fearful of accepting a pass, let alone making one, and unable to express yourself. We need more of a happy medium. If were crap, of course everybody is entitled to say so. Thats fine, but dont say were diabolical or its an absolute disgrace when weve been borderline poor. What we dont want is a knee-jerk This player should never wear a Newcastle shirt again, because nailing somebody like that wont make him better, it will make him want to leave.

Big Sam reads this forum!

That was my thoughts too:) Lets start a post every day saying how good Ramage are, he actually looked good coming in marking Anelka, even if it were only for a few minutes:)

At the end of the day I think fans up and down the country are more likely to keep on chanting/singing in defeat if they have any sort of reasonable hope that things can be turned around. I remember under Bobby Robson when we went 1-0 behind at home to Mallorca (Eto'o played that day) with only half an hour to go and the whole stadium responded by saying "f*ck this" and raised the roof to support the team. The side responded and overwhelmed them, banging in 4 goals and finishing the tie there and then. But the fans had belief in the team back then, we had come back from behind many times before under the guidance of a competent manager. This year we haven't scored at home since February 10th, that's 8 hours without a goal at home. Some of the fans had lost hope, and in the last few weeks we had nothing but pride to play for. I don't think that'll be a problem this season, we have more depth, a better manager, and surely nobody can ever pick up that many injuries again? I think everyone'll be fully behind the players against Villa.