Paul Gilder....

beardsleymagic

Taken from the journal.....

Bolton Wanderers 1, Newcastle United 3 Aug 13 2007

by Paul Gilder, The Journal

AMONG the advertising hoardings that surrounded the Reebok Stadium pitch at the weekend was one promoting the services of a local undertaker and another extolling the virtues of a leading brand of anti-perspirant.

Within 27 minutes of emerging from the tunnel to open the 2007-08 Premier League season, Bolton’s players were dead and buried. Newcastle’s had not broken sweat.

While a funereal mood prevailed among home supporters whose hopes had expired, those on the home bench could be seen mopping their brows in a furious fashion. The faces were grave, the tension unbearable. As the chaos unfolded around him, a cool, calm and collected Sam Allardyce sat and watched, his satisfaction obvious and his enjoyment ill-disguised.

Alongside him, Chris Mort beamed. Elsewhere in the main stand, a fidgeting Phil Gartside could not have looked more uncomfortable.

Gartside had not been alone in attempting to denigrate Allardyce’s achievements during his eight-season spell as Bolton boss, nor was the home chairman alone in being forced to eat humble pie. Sammy Lee is a man renowned for his red face. As the humiliation continued, he turned ever more scarlet.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Allardyce’s first competitive fixture as Newcastle manager could not have gone better, Lee’s first meeting with the man he succeeded this summer could not have gone worse. It was a match that had been billed as Big Sam against Little Sam, yet size did not matter in settling a one-sided contest.

What did matter was the tactical nous and managerial experience that Allardyce has got and Lee hasn’t. A superior squad and greater financial backing aided Allardyce’s efforts, while the belligerence and single-mindedness that characterise a colourful coaching career also played significant parts. This is a man accustomed to getting what he wants. Having decided his Reebok return would not end in defeat, he made sure it did not happen.

Be it the jeers that greeted him as he alighted the United team coach, the misguided pre-match radio interview in which Gartside poured scorn on his talents, or the boos that rang out each time he acceded to the visiting supporters’ repeated requests to give them a wave, Allardyce maintained a dignified silence and focused his mind on answering his critics in a fitting fashion.

“Actions speak louder than words,” he said after the final whistle. “I’ve kept my mouth shut and we’ve come and played them off the park. I’m not interested in getting into a war of words. I’m looking forward, not back, and I’m just trying to improve Newcastle.” This might have been his first Premier League fixture in charge of Newcastle, but the improvements were clear to see. Five times in five seasons, Newcastle have been beaten at Bolton, all results masterminded by Allardyce. This time it was different.

With the 52-year-old on their side, the Magpies never looked like losing. For the first time since October 13, 2001, United’s supporters headed home from the Reebok Stadium victorious, their optimism increased and their faith restored.

It was as though roles had been reversed. While Bolton’s defending was appalling, Newcastle demonstrated a commitment, desire and determination that has been missing in recent seasons. It was such qualities upon which Allardyce’s success at the Reebok Stadium was built. The cynics deride him as a long-ball merchant, yet this gripping performance exposed the flaws in their argument. Gartside called it ‘boring football’. ‘Winning football’ was Allardyce’s take.

Following so much disappointment, winning football is what United’s supporters crave. Newcastle pressed and pressured, hassled and harried. Balls were played into the box and mistakes capitalised upon. Stout and resolute, a mean streak ran through a ruthless performance. Yet there was also outrageous skill, slick passing and breathtaking talent.

The 4-3-3 formation that enabled James Milner and Obafemi Martins to buzz around Mark Viduka ensured United were always on the front foot. With Charles N’Zogbia breaking with menace from full-back and Alan Smith and Geremi always looking to support those beyond them, the Magpies could not have been more attack-minded.

The system was also adaptable – the tireless Milner always willing to track back, and the industrious Smith always willing to lend his defenders a hand, not that the imperious Steven Taylor or the impressive David Rozehnal needed much help. Nicky Butt, the midfield kingpin, exuded experience and oozed unselfishness. This was a true team performance. It has been a long time coming.

The free-kick with which N’Zogbia opened the scoring might have appeared fortunate, but the acrobatic effort with which Martins doubled the lead was not. The Nigerian’s overhead kick demonstrated preposterous skills that a limited number in the Premier League can match. Some have sought to unsettle the striker in recent weeks, but on this evidence, the African is invaluable.

Martins added to home woes when Abdoulaye Faye deflected his 25-yard effort past a bemused Jussi Jaaskelainen. Less than half-an-hour had passed, Newcastle led 3-0. The game was over.

Lee rallied his troops at the interval, but although Nicolas Anelka reduced the deficit with 40 minutes remaining, the outcome was assured. United were the biggest winners on the season’s opening afternoon, Big Sam the biggest winner of all.

Who thinks that Paul Gilder is having a little dig at one Mr Anal.

It's about time someone from the Journal/Chronicle had the balls to say something about Anal's drivel.

Martins really has the potential to be awesome this season in the 4-3-3, as our three man midfield is so strong and competitive and we have in Viduka, a striker with a great first touch and good close control who can hold up the ball.

I think these two things combined will help mask Oba's deficiencies, as when his touch lets him down and he sometimes loses the ball it will not be in areas that are as dangerous as they were last season when he was predominantly playing through the middle. Our midfield will also not be as vulnerable and so should do a good job of winning the ball back for us.

The way the team is now built, it should allow for Oba to be his random best and allow his intangibles to shine through. Oba is not in an ideal situation when he is the only real threat upfront as he was last season, as he can be inconsistent and blow hot and cold; he just isn't quite polished enough. However in our current setup where we appear to have so many other threats and it isn't all on Oba's shoulders I think he will really shine, as he has a bit more leeway and can afford to try more things that might not necessarily come off all the time.

He really looks like he can thrive in the wide forward role upfront and it should be exciting.

I can also see when Owen comes back that when Sam plays all three together at some stage, that can cause a lot of teams trouble as when the ball is played through to Viduka, he will have both Owen and Martins buzzing around him waiting to be played in.

This could cause a lot of panic in the opposing defence as they will have to watch for the ball to either Owen or Martins or Viduka turning and shooting, or laying the ball back for hopefully a oncoming midfielder to have a shot.

Ever the optimist me like.

Oliver's article on today's match should be interesting. Seeing as how he claimed that Allardyce would never get the job when Anal was flying the flag for Roeder's appointment, and his constant sniping at Martins last season. Watch for a complete flip flop as he attempts to do some belated arse-licking today.

Oliver's article on today's match should be interesting. Seeing as how he claimed that Allardyce would never get the job when Anal was flying the flag for Roeder's appointment, and his constant sniping at Martins last season. Watch for a complete flip flop as he attempts to do some belated arse-licking today.

Aye and what's the bet he still gets in a "but it's common knowledge in football that Martin's can still go if the club receive a bid of £10m"?

I can also see when Owen comes back that when Sam plays all three together at some stage, that can cause a lot of teams trouble as when the ball is played through to Viduka, he will have both Owen and Martins buzzing around him waiting to be played in.

This could cause a lot of panic in the opposing defence as they will have to watch for the ball to either Owen or Martins or Viduka turning and shooting, or laying the ball back for hopefully a oncoming midfielder to have a shot.

The potential is overwhelming. I agree.

If a front three of Owen, Viduka and Martins works well it would be delicious. Also, great to know that we could also slot Milner and Zoggy into the wide forward roles occassionally, to give Owen and Martins a break, or to add more width should we need to do so. Fantastic options upfront.

If a front three of Owen, Viduka and Martins works well it would be delicious. Also, great to know that we could also slot Milner and Zoggy into the wide forward roles occassionally, to give Owen and Martins a break, or to add more width should we need to do so. Fantastic options upfront.

Aye we've just got to keep everyone fit now. (Fingers crossed smiley thing)

Very well-written match report I must say. Brings a smile to my face to read things like this

The 4-3-3 formation that enabled James Milner and Obafemi Martins to buzz around Mark Viduka ensured United were always on the front foot. With Charles N’Zogbia breaking with menace from full-back and Alan Smith and Geremi always looking to support those beyond them, the Magpies could not have been more attack-minded.

and this

the tireless Milner always willing to track back, and the industrious Smith always willing to lend his defenders a hand, not that the imperious Steven Taylor or the impressive David Rozehnal needed much help. Nicky Butt, the midfield kingpin, exuded experience and oozed unselfishness. This was a true team performance. It has been a long time coming.

:D

Really good write up of the match regardless of whether he's having a dig at Oliver.

Totally agree.

I was a bit pissed during the match, didn't have the best view and lacked sound as it was on Al-Qaeda TV in the pub but i really enjoyed it and had a great time for a change.

But that review of the match fills me with even more joy of thats how the press saw it, theres already a change, already a win, already a flood of goals.

Its a great feeling to know you can actually win an away game, and with style (attacking, defensive & tactical), its also a great comfort SA will close up and defend properly and his team wont panic, and for as much as a full half if needed so.

Its also a great feeling to know you have a manage who you feel knows more about football that you do. Something i couldn't quite say about the last two!

Happy fuking days.

2 of the front 3 did very well, although i worry about the fat convict in truth. We shoudl have gotten Smith and a younger, decent forward for me.

Although, obviously, anything that keeps Shola further away from the first team should be applauded.

AMONG the advertising hoardings that surrounded the Reebok Stadium pitch at the weekend was one promoting the services of a local undertaker and another extolling the virtues of a leading brand of anti-perspirant.

Within 27 minutes of emerging from the tunnel to open the 2007-08 Premier League season, Bolton’s players were dead and buried. Newcastle’s had not broken sweat.

While a funereal mood prevailed among home supporters whose hopes had expired, those on the home bench could be seen mopping their brows in a furious fashion. The faces were grave, the tension unbearable. As the chaos unfolded around him, a cool, calm and collected Sam Allardyce sat and watched, his satisfaction obvious and his enjoyment ill-disguised.

Alongside him, Chris Mort beamed. Elsewhere in the main stand, a fidgeting Phil Gartside could not have looked more uncomfortable.

Gartside had not been alone in attempting to denigrate Allardyce’s achievements during his eight-season spell as Bolton boss, nor was the home chairman alone in being forced to eat humble pie. Sammy Lee is a man renowned for his red face. As the humiliation continued, he turned ever more scarlet.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Allardyce’s first competitive fixture as Newcastle manager could not have gone better, Lee’s first meeting with the man he succeeded this summer could not have gone worse. It was a match that had been billed as Big Sam against Little Sam, yet size did not matter in settling a one-sided contest.

What did matter was the tactical nous and managerial experience that Allardyce has got and Lee hasn’t. A superior squad and greater financial backing aided Allardyce’s efforts, while the belligerence and single-mindedness that characterise a colourful coaching career also played significant parts. This is a man accustomed to getting what he wants. Having decided his Reebok return would not end in defeat, he made sure it did not happen.

Be it the jeers that greeted him as he alighted the United team coach, the misguided pre-match radio interview in which Gartside poured scorn on his talents, or the boos that rang out each time he acceded to the visiting supporters’ repeated requests to give them a wave, Allardyce maintained a dignified silence and focused his mind on answering his critics in a fitting fashion.

“Actions speak louder than words,” he said after the final whistle. “I’ve kept my mouth shut and we’ve come and played them off the park. I’m not interested in getting into a war of words. I’m looking forward, not back, and I’m just trying to improve Newcastle.” This might have been his first Premier League fixture in charge of Newcastle, but the improvements were clear to see. Five times in five seasons, Newcastle have been beaten at Bolton, all results masterminded by Allardyce. This time it was different.

With the 52-year-old on their side, the Magpies never looked like losing. For the first time since October 13, 2001, United’s supporters headed home from the Reebok Stadium victorious, their optimism increased and their faith restored.

It was as though roles had been reversed. While Bolton’s defending was appalling, Newcastle demonstrated a commitment, desire and determination that has been missing in recent seasons. It was such qualities upon which Allardyce’s success at the Reebok Stadium was built. The cynics deride him as a long-ball merchant, yet this gripping performance exposed the flaws in their argument. Gartside called it ‘boring football’. ‘Winning football’ was Allardyce’s take.

Following so much disappointment, winning football is what United’s supporters crave. Newcastle pressed and pressured, hassled and harried. Balls were played into the box and mistakes capitalised upon. Stout and resolute, a mean streak ran through a ruthless performance. Yet there was also outrageous skill, slick passing and breathtaking talent.

The system was also adaptable – the tireless Milner always willing to track back, and the industrious Smith always willing to lend his defenders a hand, not that the imperious Steven Taylor or the impressive David Rozehnal needed much help. Nicky Butt, the midfield kingpin, exuded experience and oozed unselfishness. This was a true team performance. It has been a long time coming.

The free-kick with which N’Zogbia opened the scoring might have appeared fortunate, but the acrobatic effort with which Martins doubled the lead was not. The Nigerian’s overhead kick demonstrated preposterous skills that a limited number in the Premier League can match. Some have sought to unsettle the striker in recent weeks, but on this evidence, the African is invaluable.

Martins added to home woes when Abdoulaye Faye deflected his 25-yard effort past a bemused Jussi Jaaskelainen. Less than half-an-hour had passed, Newcastle led 3-0. The game was over.

Lee rallied his troops at the interval, but although Nicolas Anelka reduced the deficit with 40 minutes remaining, the outcome was assured. United were the biggest winners on the season’s opening afternoon, Big Sam the biggest winner of all.

It's about time someone from the Journal/Chronicle had the balls to say something about Anal's drivel.

most enjoyable match report Iv ever read! :clap:

Guest Hodgson09

I am very optimistic for a change. I am however quite pessimistic about the new wood floors in my house, my missus is stomping around like a fucking elephant. She'll have shot knees at 25.

Guest mobiius

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

most enjoyable match report Iv ever read! :clap:

What a refreshing change to hear lashings of bias laid on nice and thick for all to see. just the way it should be. i would now like to think that Mr Gilders colleague would now sit up and take notice,i doubt it, but this could be the start of good journalism :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

I don't think it's that biased, just reflecting obvious pride and satisfaction at a job well done. Bolton stuffed on the pitch,off the pitch, and probably far into the distant future.

Guest Wally_McFool

It seems Anal is still persisting with his  agenda  against  the new regime at Newcastle  and is doing his best to destabilise the club.  >:(

And the £10m man from Inter Milan has been linked with a move away from St James’ all summer, with United ready to listen to offers.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=bolton-wanderers-1-newcastle-united-3%26method=full%26objectid=19619326%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

What is it with this idiot???

Surely he means in the stadium, fan-wise?

Or media-wise after the game?

Or by us taking their manager and a massive chunk of their backroom staff?

i don't know what he means. and media wise? Nah, i don't think so. Fan-wise, yes, we made some noise, but thats bound to happen with that scoreline.

Guest Moe-Ali

dont give a fuck a about alan oliver

he is what you make of him, ignore most of his articles, i only read where i see quotation marks.

Couldn't resist a dig a N'Zogbia either could he.

"And the £10m man from Inter Milan has been linked with a move away from St James’ all summer, with United ready to listen to offers.

Martins could have gone one of two ways.

He could have sulked, like N’Zogbia did for much of last season, or he could roll up his sleeves and play out of his skin."