Belletti signs for Chelsea

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Would be very happy if we manage to get Faye, Belletti and Neville.

A rag tag group, all of which were certainly far from first choices, but solid players that will improve the squad until such time as we can improve it dramatically.

Faye is the most likely of the three, he will add more height and fight to a number of positions, solid back up and someone with experience not just in the premiership but of Sam and his workings.

Belletti I would be excited about, there could be several options younger and possibly better in the long term, but given sams experience with players of his calibre and age I think he could be another gem of a signing.

He would also give us time to sit back and find the perfect guy to fill the RB slot in the long term. (buying next summer) At which point we could either keep him as backup or drop him.

Phil Neville is a strange one. He has done so well for Everton, possibly looking better than his Manure days. Would he come? a reunion with messrs Smith and certainly Butt might help.

He would be a very solid signing for us IMO, very experienced, very versatile and despite his past is now largely dependable. But the chances of getting him are slim with negatives outweighing positives.

Where would he fit into our team? Surely a bench role wouldnt be attractive to him, whey would he want to leave and why would Everton sell, especially after making him captain?

Would be very happy if we manage to get Faye, Belletti and Neville.

A rag tag group, all of which were certainly far from first choices, but solid players that will improve the squad until such time as we can improve it dramatically.

Faye is the most likely of the three, he will add more height and fight to a number of positions, solid back up and someone with experience not just in the premiership but of Sam and his workings.

Belletti I would be excited about, there could be several options younger and possibly better in the long term, but given sams experience with players of his calibre and age I think he could be another gem of a signing.

He would also give us time to sit back and find the perfect guy to fill the RB slot in the long term. (buying next summer) At which point we could either keep him as backup or drop him.

Phil Neville is a strange one. He has done so well for Everton, possibly looking better than his Manure days. Would he come? a reunion with messrs Smith and certainly Butt might help.

He would be a very solid signing for us IMO, very experienced, very versatile and despite his past is now largely dependable. But the chances of getting him are slim with negatives outweighing positives.

Where would he fit into our team? Surely a bench role wouldnt be attractive to him, whey would he want to leave and why would Everton sell, especially after making him captain?

Think Phil the Pill leaving Everton is a load of spunky Bollocks. 

Guest Moe-Ali

Wow, juliano belletti, too good to be true, if you asked me, name a right back who is the exact opposite of stephen carr, i would probably say belletti, one of the best fullbacks on earth, and yes i know he is 31, but i'd like to think of him as somone who is at the top of the hill, rather than over it :p

Guest Steven_MB

We can't get the level above him at the moment, the Miguel, Alves & Heinze level, so buy a player who will last the time it takes to be good enough to attract those types of players, 2/3 seasons which is what he will last!

Guest bluegeordie

If what's been said about us securing Edmilson in the January transfer window is true, then signing Belletti makes even more sense, as they'll know one another's games inside out from Barca, and as fellow Brazilians they can hopefully help one another to settle in The Toon.

Edmilson and Belletti versus Titus and Carr - I hope that Big Sam knows what he's doing  O0

Guest Guinness

Belletti would be a class signing, would be very happy indeed if we got Faye today as most papers seem to think we will along with him. Would leave us with decent defensive cover which is something we've not had for a long time.

SAM ALLARDYCE is trying to get Barcelona hero Juliano Belletti to join Newcastle.

The Brazilian World Cup-winner’s deal runs out next summer and he has lost his Nou Camp spot to Gianluca Zambrotta.

Belletti’s claim to fame is scoring the winner against Arsenal in the Champions League final in 2006.

But Toon boss Big Sam wants the 31-year-old for his sound track record as a full-back.

Allardyce moved for the Brazilian right-back at the beginning of the week but so far has not been given permission to talk to the player whose contract runs out next summer.

Barca have gone on record as saying they don’t want to sell Belletti and that they plan to renew his contract. Milan failed with a £3m bid last January.

The player is also demanding more than £50,000-a-week which Newcastle may feel is too much.

Allardyce has moved for Belletti after the high-profile fall-out between the club and Kieron Dyer.

Big Sam had hoped to use Dyer as right-back this season and had discussions with the player about the roll.

But Dyer wanted to go to West Ham and was set to move to the London club before Newcastle pulled the plug and demanded an extra £2m.

Dyer has now been condemned to the reserves.

Newcastle’s current right-back, Stephen Carr, is in the final year of his contract and is in talks to see if he can get a new deal but it is possible he may move on.

Meanwhile, Allardyce hopes to finalise the signing of midfielder Abdoulaye Faye from his old club Bolton this week. Faye will cost the Toon £1.5m.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007370616,00.html

far from done it seems

Written by Shaun Custis. Some on here have said that he is a big friend of Sam Allardyce, and is usually spot on regarding Allardyce stories.

Would be over the moon with Belletti!

Seen him a few times, and always been impressed - good attackin full back who can tackle too. Massive upgrade on Carr.

For £3m if he can improve us for a couple of years, and bring someone else in, then use him for 2yrs as a back up, he would be great.

Belletti would be another excellent addition to our squad if he could settle into english football, i think he could because of playing in the champions league looking good against english opposition

So we get Belletti and Faye in..... for Big Sam's 1st season squad that's a job done just about in my book to reach the targets he'll have (and keep to himself/Mort) for this year. However losing Dyer (and Solano?) means we will then only be lacking a goalscoring AM. Belletti/Carr/Milner/Geremi is ample cover for the RB & RW positions (although Milner getting injured would hit us the hardest until Duff is fit again).

Means we'd only have a net spend of £6-7m I'm guessing. So big money signing for AM = Van Der Vaart - Yes please!!! He'd be the last piece of the jigsaw for the short term plan and aiming to get back to the Top 4 within the next 3 years. A much better option than all the others metioned previously (and still supposedly available) Diego/Deco etc. given he has practically a 1 in 2 goals record, and all the top teams NEED a midfielder that can get double figures every season... Might be pie in the sky stuff now while we're in a transition season and hard to attract him but it's not like he's at a top top CL club already and as we know money talks.

Never felt this optimistic about the club turning the corner since SBR.

All IMO ;)

Guest elbee909

"Big Sam had hoped to use Dyer as right-back this season and had discussions with the player about the roll."

Ham or cheese?

Belletti's literally only just turned 31, so not bothered by his age.

Having a manager with a long term plan doesn't automatically equate to buying players for the long-term - it's all about who'll improve the squad and who's available now.  We could do a hell of a lot worse.

So we get Belletti and Faye in..... for Big Sam's 1st season squad that's a job done just about in my book to reach the targets he'll have (and keep to himself/Mort) for this year. However losing Dyer (and Solano?) means we will then only be lacking a goalscoring AM. Belletti/Carr/Milner/Geremi is ample cover for the RB & RW positions (although Milner getting injured would hit us the hardest until Duff is fit again).

With Dyer here, we still have no goal-scoring AM!

With Dyer here, we still have no goal-scoring AM!

What about "No Partin Joey Barton"

Well technically wasn't he top scorer from midfield last season, albeit he played a few games up front?

And anyway that's one of the reasons we finished 13th!!!!

I reckon Barton/Smith would get a maybes 4-5 league goals over a season playing AM, Emre probably 3-4 goals. Just look at the amount of league goals Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes get (although Man U seem to spread goals more round the whole midfield, Giggs/Ronaldo etc.), Arsenal not quite there yet although Rosicky & Hleb have the potential to get lots of goals.

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Anal

There was in talk in Spain today that Allardyce is keen on Barcelona right-back Juliano Belletti, but I get the impression United’s new boss is more than happy with his signings.

And it means that United will wait until the January transfer window to see what the situation is with Brazilian defender Edmilson at Barcelona, after he has recovered from his knee injury.