A slight worry

madras

with the exception of barton and enrique,allardyces signings have been,shall we say "in their prime".

I know he needs to get the first team squad sorted and strong but he didn't have much of a reputation at bolton for bringing through youngsters......will we see some promising youngsters brought in or promising youngsters already here given a chance ?

with the exception of barton and enrique,allardyces signings have been,shall we say "in their prime".

I know he needs to get the first team squad sorted and strong but he didn't have much of a reputation at bolton for bringing through youngsters......will we see some promising youngsters brought in or promising youngsters already here given a chance ?

Krul

Milner

Taylor

Zog

Martins

Carroll

Hunty

Edgar

etc etc

Plenty of young players around at the moment. We need players who can play now, and bring these lads through.

I'd be inclined to suggest at Bolton he was always firefighting to keep them up. This meant having to rely on a lot of experience.

It'd be nice if we could always get a good mix of youth and experience, but for now we just need to climb the league and I'm prepared to give his signings the benefit of that doubt until next year and beyond.

Our problem last season was we relied to heavily on youngsters. We needed a few older players. You write down our strongest 11 on paper and look at their age. How many players over 30 are in that team?

none really over 30 but a few nearing 30 on 3,4 and 5 year contracts

Guest eyeball_tickler

the future can wait, we needed good players asap and got them. señor mort said there's a big emphasis on youth and a new academy in the future, so its all in hand.

just the vast majority of the signings have been on the "experienced" side,would it be nice to see him look at a youngster to bring in.

how good was his scouting network at boltonwhen it came to finding young talent ?

We played pretty much all last season with kids so no worries there.

Couldn't care for their age as long as they get the job done, players are always going to be available and as long as we get 2 seasons minimum out of them there will be no harm in replacing them when they go stale.

having young players already to take over the older ones should save cash

We played pretty much all last season with kids so no worries there.

Couldn't care for their age as long as they get the job done, players are always going to be available and as long as we get 2 seasons minimum out of them there will be no harm in replacing them when they go stale.

having young players already to take over the older ones should save cash

Even better then.

Although it would be nice if the academy turned out a defender that isn't a CB  :laugh2:

Barton, Enrique and Rozenhal all have their peak years ahead of them still, and Geremi and Smith are only entering their peak years now.

Not a worry at all for me.

Rozehnal is older than Smith btw, at 27 I'd class him as entering his peak years.

Barton, Enrique and Rozenhal all have their peak years ahead of them still, and Geremi and Smith are only entering their peak years now.

thats the slight worry,all first team players,and yes i know we needed a lot of work there,but how many youngsters did he bring into the bolton fold from outside.

i'm not saying it's wrong,just wondering if his scouts are so good could we get them younger and save money and drill them to the NUFC way earlier

Rozehnal is older than Smith btw, at 27 I'd class him as entering his peak years.

Defenders generally peak at an older age though.

The main point is though, you need your first team perfect first. If he can get these other couple of experienced plays in he seems to want, then he might be able to think longer term. This experience is what we are crying out for imo. Its only really defensively where he seems to want older players. Look at our defenders:

Carr (30), Rozenhal (27), Taylor (21), Cacapa (31), Ramage (23), Huntington (19), Edgar (20), Enrique (21) and Babayaro (28?)

I can see why he wants in an experienced right back he can rely on, and an experienced centre back looking at that. Our front 6 are mostly still young.

thats the slight worry,all first team players,and yes i know we needed a lot of work there,but how many youngsters did he bring into the bolton fold from outside.

i'm not saying it's wrong,just wondering if his scouts are so good could we get them younger and save money and drill them to the NUFC way earlier

Time will tell, I'm happy he's building us a good team for the now though.

Finding good young players to bring through will come in time, in Sam we trust. :D

You should know this, Greg :laugh:

I do know this, my point was that I wouldn't class Rozehnal in the same bracket as Enrique. Rozehnal is just coming into his peak years now imo.

I do know this, my point was that I wouldn't class Rozehnal in the same bracket as Enrique. Rozehnal is just coming into his peak years now imo.

Was a joke regarding the fact that Shak potentially got this opinion from Football Manager 2007.

Something you're very well-versed in!

Time will tell, I'm happy he's building us a good team for the now though.

Finding good young players to bring through will come in time, in Sam we trust. :D

but you can't really remember bolton being interested in the next big thing can you,and his thinking on krul(too inexperienced to be on the bench)slight worries like i say................you know when you think too deep about something and give yourself a headache ?

Was a joke regarding the fact that Shak potentially got this opinion from Football Manager 2007.

Something you're very well-versed in!

Heh aye, although I had nowt to do with FM2007. But you can blame me if Newcastle are shit on FM 2008.

The stats of Rozehnal and Enrique are nowt special on FM 2007, Rozehnal down as also playing centre midfield. Just hope their relevant researchers have upper their stats of late.