The club want a great atmosphere for Villa

Rich

Guest Magpiecn

Tomorrow's game is the first home game in this hopeful season,we should give the best cheer to the players.

I'll go to SJP tomorrow.It'll be the first time for me to newcastle ,before paying a visit to glasgow. :lol:

news would be

"Club want funeral atmosphere for Villa"

this is all bollocks TBH 

OF COURSE they want a lot of people in the ground yellign and screaming - why state the bloody obvious??

news would be

"Club want funeral atmosphere for Villa"

this is all bollocks TBH 

OF COURSE they want a lot of people in the ground yellign and screaming - why state the bloody obvious??

Who rattled your cage? :laugh:

Was interested in people's thoughts on the 4000 streamers in the East Stand more than anything, the number of replies about it seems to suggest people are happy to give their opinions, as well.

I am very shocked to see its not a sell out!!

Tickets for Saturday's game with Aston Villa are still available from the NUFC Box Office. Tel 0191 261 1571 for more details.

I hope we get great noise for Geremi, he seems to be well at home here already and doing a great job for us..

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1094173,00.html

Captain's Corner:  Geordie Fans Our 12th Man

By Craig Hope

NEWCASTLE United captain Geremi has revealed the moment that he realised just how important the Toon Army would be to the Magpies' success this season.

The Cameroon star had just led out the black and whites for the first time during a pre-season friendly at Hull City, only to be greeted by thousands of travelling Geordies who had made the 150-mile trip to Humberside.

And the 28-year-old admits he was blown away by the support on that night as he told nufc.co.uk: "We saw the fans at Hull and thought wow!

"It was a pre-season friendly a long way from Newcastle and they had made the effort to come and support us - it was unbelievable.

Toon Bid

"And then again at Bolton last week the support was fantastic, they are special fans and will be the 12th man for us this season.

"It is nice to know that when you play at home the fans are with you and it will be a special atmosphere against Aston Villa on Saturday because it is our first game at St.James' Park."

And the new Toon skipper believes that Sam Allardyce's new-look United can cause a few surprises this year after being handed the armband on a full-time basis before last weekend's 3-1 win at the Reebok Stadium.

"I was not expected to be made captain and when the manager gave me the armband in pre-season I thought it was just a test and it wasn't going to be permanent," he added.

"But two days before the kick-off last week he called me in to see if I had the capability to be captain and I said it would not be a problem.

"I am under pressure because it is 50 years since a Newcastle captain lifted a major trophy. But I think we will challenge this season and cause a few surprises."

well come on man, it is bloody ridiculous isn't it............

The story itself or the streamers?

I think there is some interest in the new Chairman/owners putting a lot of stock into the atmosphere and the fact that they're meeting the Toon Ultras and all that as well shows they're willing to listen to the fans more than the previous board.

I see what you're saying though in regards to how blindingly obvious it is generally, not a bad thing to kick a few people up the arse tomorrow though surely?

Why aren't some fans taking their scarves? I say take your scarf, twirl it around and keep any nasty chill at bay. I shall be taking mine; I may even take two.

In all seriousness they make a fantastic sight.

Why aren't some fans taking their scarves? I say take your scarf, twirl it around and keep any nasty chill at bay. I shall be taking mine; I may even take two.

In all seriousness they make a fantastic sight.

It's August, man. I concede that we're not in the middle of a heatwave, but scarves are surely more of a winter accessory. Pain in the arse to drag around all day an' all.

The story itself or the streamers?

I think there is some interest in the new Chairman/owners putting a lot of stock into the atmosphere and the fact that they're meeting the Toon Ultras and all that as well shows they're willing to listen to the fans more than the previous board.

I see what you're saying though in regards to how blindingly obvious it is generally, not a bad thing to kick a few people up the arse tomorrow though surely?

Agreed, at least the club are trying to do something about the atmosphere when so many are complaining about how much the ground resembles a library these days.

The club know we’ll have a better chance of winning if the ground is jumping and they are trying to do something about it.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with this, I’m a bit surprised that anybody is bothered about it.

Im not to sure about stremers inspiring the lads to victory, but ive got a feeling 50000 excited Geordies with a few extra hours drinking time might!

The new optimism, the result against Bolton, the fact its the first home game of the season after a summer without even a international tournament and the late kick off time are all going to combine to create one of the best atmouspheres for years in my opinion, ill certainly be doing my bit!

The streamers are harmless, and might look canny. Agree it better not be a stepping stone to dancing girls and fieworks though, unless we do a wolves and aim them at the opposition dugout when west ham visit!

Guest Knightrider

Fantastic! I don't particularly want to see streamers being thrown down from the stands but I applaud the club for a) recognising that the atmosphere is critical and b) actually trying to do something about it themselves. As first gestures go, this ain't bad and I think what is now important is for fans to start discussing these things (the atmosphere and how best to improve/encourage it) so that we don't end up with cheer leaders or other naff stuff.

The club are clearly looking to get involved with fans to promote a healthier atmosphere and by all accounts they are open to fan discussion and fan ideas regarding this very subject. Indeed N.O among other NUFC websites is being monitored by the club to gauge fan opinion on all manner of things.

Now really is the time to voice your opinion.

I vote no to streamers, but applaud the gesture and hope this leads to a much healthier atmosphere at St. James' Park.

My own advice to club officials would be to watch the Shearer testimonial DVD. We don't need streamers which is cheesy and almost American like.  No, hand out black and white placards, more free scarves, balloons even and allow fans to bring in flags, banners and other decorative features. We could do with those ghastly grey seats being changed too and maybe a few slogans like "Howay The Lads", "Geordies" and "Magpies" among others adorning the seats ala Old Trafford, the stadium of light, Anfield etc.

In the same way that free scarves has been copied almost everywhere now, I'd expect streamers to be the new easy option for clubs to be seen to be attempting to do something about the atmosphere.

Of course, the only thing that will ever change the atmosphere in English grounds is the reintroduction of safe standing (and I say that as someone who prefers to sit these days) and the reduction of ticket prices.

30 quid plus for 90 minutes of "entertainment" in a league where the media only give a fuck about 4 teams, and those 4 teams are the only ones with a cat's chance in hell of winning it, thereby rendering 80 percent of games utterly, utterly pointless, is well over the top.

I am sure the club see it purely just as a way to kick start the season.

We all know that with a decent few wins/performances at the start of the season, the fans will be capable of developing their own atmosphere again without the need for any encouragement from the club.

Guest Knightrider

In the same way that free scarves has been copied almost everywhere now, I'd expect streamers to be the new easy option for clubs to be seen to be attempting to do something about the atmosphere.

Of course, the only thing that will ever change the atmosphere in English grounds is the reintroduction of safe standing (and I say that as someone who prefers to sit these days) and the reduction of ticket prices.

30 quid plus for 90 minutes of "entertainment" in a league where the media only give a fuck about 4 teams, and those 4 teams are the only ones with a cat's chance in hell of winning it, thereby rendering 80 percent of games utterly, utterly pointless, is well over the top.

Aye, I agree pretty much with all of that. Although I don't think standing alone will simply bring back the noise up and down the country. under KK and SBR SJP used to rock every game pretty much without any standing. Although away days prove the value of standing as away days are always a by far better atmosphere than home ones, even under par away days are usually better.

That said, while we bemoan our atmosphere, even as rank as it is, it isn't as bad as most.

Guest Knightrider

sorry, what exactly is a streamer?

is it something like this?

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/553/tifofoto11cc7ka.jpg

I imagine wors will be what comes out of them party streamer type things.

Fantastic! I don't particularly want to see streamers being thrown down from the stands but I applaud the club for a) recognising that the atmosphere is critical and b) actually trying to do something about it themselves. As first gestures go, this ain't bad and I think what is now important is for fans to start discussing these things (the atmosphere and how best to improve/encourage it) so that we don't end up with cheer leaders or other naff stuff.

The club are clearly looking to get involved with fans to promote a healthier atmosphere and by all accounts they are open to fan discussion and fan ideas regarding this very subject. Indeed N.O among other NUFC websites is being monitored by the club to gauge fan opinion on all manner of things.

Now really is the time to voice your opinion.

I vote no to streamers, but applaud the gesture and hope this leads to a much healthier atmosphere at St. James' Park.

My own advice to club officials would be to watch the Shearer testimonial DVD. We don't need streamers which is cheesy and almost American like.  No, hand out black and white placards, more free scarves, balloons even and allow fans to bring in flags, banners and other decorative features. We could do with those ghastly grey seats being changed too and maybe a few slogans like "Howay The Lads", "Geordies" and "Magpies" among others adorning the seats ala Old Trafford, the stadium of light, Anfield etc.

I don't have a problem with the streamers, I think it will look brilliant if they're all thrown at the same time.  Regarding the grey seats, Boro have got a few spare red ones that they don't need.

I imagine wors will be what comes out of them party streamer type things.

I'm guessing something like:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4180/57552059gq5.jpg

But Black and White and coming from the stands

Aye, I agree pretty much with all of that. Although I don't think standing alone will simply bring back the noise up and down the country. under KK and SBR SJP used to rock every game pretty much without any standing. Although away days prove the value of standing as away days are always a by far better atmosphere than home ones, even under par away days are usually better.

That said, while we bemoan our atmosphere, even as rank as it is, it isn't as bad as most.

I think standing would bring back a lot of atmosphere because people would find it much easier to form groups of friends, if a few started to sing then people could move to that area to do the same.

Before we had an all seater St James' Park most of the people who wanted to sing grouped together in the Leazes and the Gallowgate, you can't do that when you're stuck to sitting in a seat a long way away from your mates.

Give me goals, give it 100% effort & someone give NRC a whack & I will create atmosphere, I also reckon a few more will join me in doing so, the club wont need streamers.

Or send Carr off & the atmosphere will rise, remember the Chelsea game

sorry, what exactly is a streamer?

is it something like this?

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/553/tifofoto11cc7ka.jpg

You know years ago when people used to throw bog roll onto the pitch from the upper tiers?

It will be like that except black and white plasticky stuff that you can't wipe your arse on