Allardyce in the Shields Gazette (New 'keeper on loan/permanent deal?)

Rich

Again, apologies if posted, more interesting stuff in today's media that I can't see here already:

Shields Gazette

Big Sam weighs up a keeper bid

By Miles Starforth

SAM Allardyce has refused to put a comeback date on Shay Given's return – and the Newcastle United manager has not ruled out buying another goalkeeper.

Given – whose 2006-07 campaign was decimated by injury – misses tomorrow evening's home game against Aston Villa with a groin problem suffered in pre-season.

The 31-year-old suffered two groin injuries last season after perforating his bowel early in the campaign, and the fear is that the horrific clash with West Ham United's Marlon Harewood has made him more susceptible – at least in the short term – to those type of problems.

And with Allardyce feeling 19-year-old Tim Krul – currently on loan at Scottish Premier League Falkirk – is too inexperienced to act as cover for

Steve Harper, he is scouring the market for a loan, or permanent, signing.

Allardyce told the Gazette: "Shay's improving quite well, but in terms of time, we can't put a comeback date on him yet.

"It's a worry, and I'd have to say that we're looking out there in the world of football to see whether there may be a loan situation which gets us over the problem we've got at the moment.

"If not, we might have to buy somebody as we've only really got Steve Harper with any experience."

• Newcastle United were handed a home tie against Barnsley in last night's Carling Cup second-round draw.

Sam Allardyce's side will take on the Tykes at St James's Park on either August 28 or 29.

Newcastle last faced Barnsley in the competition at Oakwell in October 2001, when Craig Bellamy scored the only goal of the game to send Sir Bobby Robson's United into the fourth round of the competition.

I know everyone knew we might be looking into something like this, but it's still good to have clarification.

Loan first and foremost, but a purchase if necessary. Any suggestions?

If someone guesses it right, they can have a special prize. I haven't got a Scooby Doo.

Three guesses each at the most, though, I'm not having someone list every 'keeper in Yeurop :laugh:

Might as well make it competitive.

Guest elbee909

If someone guesses it right, they can have a special prize. I haven't got a Scooby Doo.

Three guesses each at the most, though, I'm not having someone list every 'keeper in Yeurop :laugh:

Might as well make it competitive.

Dudek, on loan.

It'll not be a top class one. It'll be either a 3rd choice Premiership keeper, 2nd choice Championship/foreign keeper, or a first-choice lower league club who might fancy a season in the big-time even if it's just playing reserve team football or sitting on the bench for half a dozen games.