Newcastle United 0-0 Aston Villa - 18/08/07 - Post Match reaction from Page 12

James

We were missing player in a Dyer style role like, but that doesn't mean we're missing Dyer.

I agree with this. We could have done with a midfield player getting forward through the centre to support the striker, and that's where Barton comes in.

Guest nufcraig

Taylor was useless. Our worst player by far. Hopefully allardyce  will get it sorted and play rozehnal and capaca together or rozehnal and faye. Dont no how anyone can rate taylor highly. Hes an average defender that shouldnt be anywhere near our first team if we ever want to win anything.

Apart from his one comedy moment, can you give any examples to back that up? He was beaten in the air once or twice by Carew, but stood his ground. He was leading the defence yesterday, his positioning was excellent and he was playing it out along the ground, which is more than can be said for Rozehnal who was part of the problem with his long balls costing us possession and putting people under pressure. I thought Rozehnal "got away with it" a few times where he let players outmuscle him or get goal side of him, and he broke ranks once or twice as he got drawn towards the ball. I don't want to be too critical of him because he does have qualities, he's certainly quick, tall, seems to have a decent enough reading of the game and he's a calm head at the back, but as Sam alluded to before the Bolton game he can't afford to be doing these things in the Premiership because once managers are aware of his weaknesses they will look to expose him. Hopefully in time he'll get to grips with what the Premiership is all about, I think he has what it takes.

Getting back to Taylor, I thought he was very solid yesterday and certainly didn't look like a 21 year old in the heart of our defence. Very professional performance, barring his one 'moment'.

Look im sick of people bringing taylors age into it. Ignore his age as Micah Richards is a much better player than him even though hes 2 years younger. Things wrong with Taylor are:

1) Not quick enough- As shown when he got done all over by DJ Cambpell, (conference player).

2) Hes a cheat- Handballs then faking injury. No need for it.

3) He gives stupid fouls away in dangerous areas- E.g. away to arsenal. henry running into the corner so taylor fouls him and they score from the resulting freekick.

4) He gave the ball away on numberous occasions- As shown yesterday.

5) Can be dodgy- As shown yesterday when he fell over and gave the ball away at the back.

If Taylor wasnt from Newcastle he wouldnt get bummed by the people that currently do on here. IMO he will be like players like Dawson, jenas, etc. where people make a big deal about them being the next up and coming england international and he will just turn out to be rubbish as dawson is and never good enough for england.

Taylor was useless. Our worst player by far. Hopefully allardyce  will get it sorted and play rozehnal and capaca together or rozehnal and faye. Dont no how anyone can rate taylor highly. Hes an average defender that shouldnt be anywhere near our first team if we ever want to win anything.

Apart from his one comedy moment, can you give any examples to back that up? He was beaten in the air once or twice by Carew, but stood his ground. He was leading the defence yesterday, his positioning was excellent and he was playing it out along the ground, which is more than can be said for Rozehnal who was part of the problem with his long balls costing us possession and putting people under pressure. I thought Rozehnal "got away with it" a few times where he let players outmuscle him or get goal side of him, and he broke ranks once or twice as he got drawn towards the ball. I don't want to be too critical of him because he does have qualities, he's certainly quick, tall, seems to have a decent enough reading of the game and he's a calm head at the back, but as Sam alluded to before the Bolton game he can't afford to be doing these things in the Premiership because once managers are aware of his weaknesses they will look to expose him. Hopefully in time he'll get to grips with what the Premiership is all about, I think he has what it takes.

Getting back to Taylor, I thought he was very solid yesterday and certainly didn't look like a 21 year old in the heart of our defence. Very professional performance, barring his one 'moment'.

Look im sick of people bringing taylors age into it. Ignore his age as Micah Richards is a much better player than him even though hes 2 years younger. Things wrong with Taylor are:

1) Not quick enough- As shown when he got done all over by DJ Cambpell, (conference player).

3) He gives stupid fouls away in dangerous areas- E.g. away to arsenal. henry running into the corner so taylor fouls him and they score from the resulting freekick.

5) Can be dodgy- As shown yesterday when he fell over and gave the ball away at the back.

If Taylor wasnt from Newcastle he wouldnt get bummed by the people that currently do on here. IMO he will be like players like Dawson, jenas, etc. where people make a big deal about them being the next up and coming england international and he will just turn out to be rubbish as dawson is and never good enough for england.

Massive knee jerk reaction!!! You must be one of the "greatest football supporters" eh?!

Give the kid a break, OK it wasn't his best game for us, he's still learning his trade and will improve under Big Sam's tutelage.

It was a very frustrating afternoon for us all day.I dont know if we didnt play very well or Villa was a good team,but still,I think playing at home,we should be more attacking but that did not happen.I dont think the 4-3-3 formation was working in the first half,we were too exposed on the right and left side of the midfield.Smith was excellent so too was Harper.Ameobi was rubbish when he came on.Anyway,a point is better than none.

Ameobi still looked better than Viduka when he came on

I also think for a supposedly agressive 'all action' CB he lacks the mandatory strength

Isn't that why we paid £6m for Smith?

OMG Massive knee jerk reaction!!! You must be one of the "greatest football supporters" eh?! [/Jimmymag]

Eh?!

Please post in context otherwise you make yourself look a bigger mug than you already are!!!

Isn't that why we paid £6m for Smith?

OMG Massive knee jerk reaction!!! You must be one of the "greatest football supporters" eh?! [/Jimmymag]

Eh?!

Please post in context otherwise you make yourself look a bigger mug than you already are!!!

I'm taking the piss out of you for saying people are kneejerkers for not hanging out of average players arses.

4-3-3 wasn't a good formation yesterday, we had no creativity and did nothing to change it, looking at who we had on the bench virtually made it impossible to change the way we were playing.

When we made the first two substitutions we went like for like when the game was crying out for something different.

Our midfield might work away from home but it's not good enough when we should be taking the game to the opposition.

The long ball tactics were not good, I don't mind long ball football when it works but we gained nothing from it yesterday, I hope this isn't going to be what's served up every week.  If we're going to play long ball then it must be varied, not just the same type of ball which is so easy to read it becomes pointless.

4-3-3 wasn't a good formation yesterday, we had no creativity and did nothing to change it, looking at who we had on the bench virtually made it impossible to change the way we were playing.

When we made the first two substitutions we went like for like when the game was crying out for something different.

Our midfield might work away from home but it's not good enough when we should be taking the game to the opposition.

The long ball tactics were not good, I don't mind long ball football when it works but we gained nothing from it yesterday, I hope this isn't going to be what's served up every week.  If we're going to play long ball then it must be varied, not just the same type of ball which is so easy to read it becomes pointless.

not really sure it was down to the pattern,more so the personnell. we had a lack of guile in the middle which an emre or barton (he's better than the box-tp-box worker he's made out to be) can exploit.

due to injuries and allardyce not wanting to use enrique yet we couldn't do the obvious in putting n'zogbia wide left to change things. having said this n'zogbia picked up where he left off last season in the final third.

Right then!!

Villa were miles better than Bolton and it just proved that we had false hope after beating Bolton, the team still needs lots of work, Smith spoiling for a fight yesterday it was a miracle he was not booked its that side of him that made me not want him here.

Martins should never have been taken off, good to hear the support he got after he was subbed though  O0 Viduka should have been the one to be taken off, felt sorry for him he was getting clatterd and getting nothing off the ref, even when he decided to go down under a tackle he still got nowt, after that he lost interest in the game. No point playing Vid if your not going to give him ball to feet, first time we did it he sprayed a lovely ball out wide for Milner, but it did not happen enough.

Carr is a our weak link by miles and MON knew it, everything they did came up wor right hand side, playing him takes away some of our attacking play to, as the lads infront of him are always having to cover as Carr pushes on, loses the ball and then does not have the legs to get back.

BUT FOR THOSE THAT BOO'D AT FULL TIME, YOU SHOULD BE FUCKING ASHAMED!!!

Carr is a our weak link by miles and MON knew it, everything they did came up wor right hand side, playing him takes away some of our attacking play to, as the lads infront of him are always having to cover as Carr pushes on, loses the ball and then does not have the legs to get back.

This is very true and something needs to be done about it.

Right then!!

Villa were miles better than Bolton and it just proved that we had false hope after beating Bolton, the team still needs lots of work, Smith spoiling for a fight yesterday it was a miracle he was not booked its that side of him that made me not want him here.

Martins should never have been taken off, good to hear the support he got after he was subbed though  O0 Viduka should have been the one to be taken off, felt sorry for him he was getting clatterd and getting nothing off the ref, even when he decided to go down under a tackle he still got nowt, after that he lost interest in the game. No point playing Vid if your not going to give him ball to feet, first time we did it he sprayed a lovely ball out wide for Milner, but it did not happen enough.

BUT FOR THOSE THAT BOO'D AT FULL TIME, YOU SHOULD BE FUCKING ASHAMED!!!

You were right about us needing a right back seen as Carr seems to be first choice there. You're right about the booing too.

There was alot to be positive to be taken from yesterday, like Rozza is looking like a fooking bargain!

And Cacapa's header into touch was supurb! lol

Really though the 1 thing we missed was the link from midfield!

This should be filled by Emre Or Barton when they are fit! We just had such a big gap from the central midfield and strikers and hence the ball just coming straight back!

I'm still very positive, it was dissapointing yes but your not going to win every match so shit happens!

Were looking for Europe this season, and I think we've got  a damn good chance, even if we don't get in the top 6, we still have the intertoto as an option.

So chin up everyone! No more Fat Twat Or Ratface!

not really sure it was down to the pattern,more so the personnell. we had a lack of guile in the middle which an emre or barton (he's better than the box-tp-box worker he's made out to be) can exploit.

due to injuries and allardyce not wanting to use enrique yet we couldn't do the obvious in putting n'zogbia wide left to change things. having said this n'zogbia picked up where he left off last season in the final third.

I agree with that to a certain extent but we could have brought Ramage on and pushed N'Zogbia further up, I know Ramage isn't the best in defence but we could have changed to a 4-4-2 and varied our play, we were too predictable for most of the 90 minutes yesterday, we made it too easy for Villa.

Guest BooBoo

An incredibly dull and instantly forgettable game. Not the end of the world but a big disappointment on a day that was set up nicely for a home win.

It is rather annoying though that the only times i've been out of my seat in the last six home games is to let the charver along the row out to get his half time chicken balti pie.

Agree with most of what Mick's said. No idea why we didn't change things around when it was obvious we were getting nowhere near their goal. Perhaps Big Sam will become bolder with time.

Pre-season is good but you learn more about your players in a competitive match, I'm sure yesterday was just a blip and we'll learn from it.

I'd still like to see us go for a creative player who can change games, Emre might be that player but I don't think he's done it for us yet, Barton would have helped us yesterday with his willingness to bring the ball out of midfield, I still think we could do with something else.

2 weeks ago I'd have settled for 4 points from our first two games so I don't think we have too much to worry about.  I'm not sure how good our win was against Bolton after now seeing the first 3 results from them but maybe we've done that to them, maybe the first defeat has got to them, you never know.

We'll have more setbacks this season, if getting a draw is the biggest setback we have then we'll be flying.  At least we kept a clean sheet, you can never under-estimate how much confidence the defence gain from that.