Simple solution to eradicate diving in the penalty area

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest guinness_fiend

I had a brilliant sarcastic reply typed up until I cracked on that either (a) this boy has the mind of a child; or (b) it is a 'whoooosh' of the highest order. 

I shall sit on the fence until it all unfolds...

Guest Brazilianbob

And what? Just have indirect free kicks?

Radical eh?  but yes indirect free kicks, with the offending player receiving a yellow card.

Also had radical thoughts on how to punish teams that have loads of yellow cards, and might make refs think twice about booking players for innocuous challenges.

If a player gets a yellow card he has to leave the pitch, say 20 minutes from the end of the match,  i.e he is withdrawn after 70 minutes and takes no further part in the match.  He cannot be replaced by a sub.  Any player getting booked after 70 has to leave the pitch immediately.  Would have made the Liverpool v Chelsea game interesting as 9 players were booked in that game!

Radical eh?  but yes indirect free kicks, with the offending player receiving a yellow card.

Also had radical thoughts on how to punish teams that have loads of yellow cards, and might make refs think twice about booking players for innocuous challenges.

If a player gets a yellow card he has to leave the pitch, say 20 minutes from the end of the match,  i.e he is withdrawn after 70 minutes and takes no further part in the match.  He cannot be replaced by a sub.  Any player getting booked after 70 has to leave the pitch immediately.  Would have made the Liverpool v Chelsea game interesting as 9 players were booked in that game!

Put the keyboard down and walk away.

Have you ever watched, played or followed football? And I'm talking about soccer football, the game David Beckham, Juan Pablo Angel and Abel Xavier play. David is married to a woman called Victoria Beckham aka Victoria Adams aka Posh aka Posh Spice if that helps. They are friends of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes if that helps as well.

Was hoping for something more radical. How about: no pens, but the team that has been disadavantaged by the foul gets a throw-in directly parallel the 18-yard box. It is to be taken in the normal way, BUT no one is allowed to touch the ball other than the opposing keeper who has to stand on the the opposite side of the pitch from where the throw-in's taken. The goalkeeper gets a head start based on the scores of 3 pitchside judges who've cast their votes on the severity of the original offence.

Was hoping for something more radical. How about: no pens, but the team that has been disadavantaged by the foul gets a throw-in directly parallel the 18-yard box. It is to be taken in the normal way, BUT no one is allowed to touch the ball other than the opposing keeper who has to stand on the the opposite side of the pitch from where the throw-in's taken. The goalkeeper gets a head start based on the scores of 3 pitchside judges who've cast their votes on the severity of the original offence.

Who are they throwing it to?

Who are they throwing it to?

Oh. That's the bit I missed. Their intention is to throw it into the goal, but it's got to bounce no less than twice and no more than 4 times. This is the only time a goal is given direct from a throw-in.

Can you imagine the tension and excitement?!

Isn't it simpler to just issue cards/suspensions after the game for obvious diving?

instead of changing the game COMPLETELY!

Funny coming from an arsenal fan.. but i absolutely agree with you- no point having some radical non-direct freekick this or toss them off for 20 minutes that.. just educate the refs on what a dive looks like and book the offenders, full stop.

Isn't it simpler to just issue cards/suspensions after the game for obvious diving?

Funny coming from an arsenal fan.. but i absolutely agree with you- no point having some radical non-direct freekick this or toss them off for 20 minutes that.. just educate the refs on what a dive looks like and book the offenders, full stop.

I agree tossing them off for 20 minutes wouldn't work.

We're supposed to be punishing their behaviour, not rewarding it.

Besides, there'd be no point doing it any more after approximately 6 of those minutes.

Besides, there'd be no point doing it any more after approximately 6 of those minutes.

Speak for yourself.

O0

A retrospective panel to consider incidents in the same way that Rugby League look at high tackles and players on charge. 

A penalty of a 3 or 5 match ban would eliminate the problem within weeks.