Styles a hero?

Mowen

It was a rubbish decision. Why can't he call a spade a spade?

What about Tevez's miss against City at the death? That was a mistake that shouldn't have been made and changed the outcome of the game, but he won't get anything like as much stick for it.

I'm not against criticising referee's when they make a mistake, but the extent to which it happens is stupid imo. It amazes me that people criticise referees for wanting to be famous: they're going to be the main talking point after many a match. It's a job that makes you famous, and that's fuelled by the people who supposedly don't want these 'attention-seeking' referees.

Something needs to be done about the respect shown to referees in football, and it needs to be done soon.

Fair comments. As I said in my first reply though, Keith Hackett has a lot more to answer for than a TV co-commentator IMO.

Guest barnabox

To me the solution is simple, mike up the referees like they do in rugby. 

The abuse the players give the refs would make matches unbroadcastable before the watershed!  The broadcasters would apply pressure on the clubs who could stop the players doing it any time they wanted to.

The abuse the players give the refs would make matches unbroadcastable before the watershed!  The broadcasters would apply pressure on the clubs who could stop the players doing it any time they wanted to.

I have to admit the self-control the rugby players display with this system is impressive. They also stick to the 'only the captain does the talking' thing too. Though some may argue rugby players are often of a different social class...

Guest barnabox

I have to admit the self-control the rugby players display with this system is impressive. They also stick to the 'only the captain does the talking' thing too. Though some may argue rugby players are often of a different social class...

You obviously haven't been to the same rugby clubs I have then!

It was a rubbish decision. Why can't he call a spade a spade?

What about Tevez's miss against City at the death? That was a mistake that shouldn't have been made and changed the outcome of the game, but he won't get anything like as much stick for it.

I'm not against criticising referee's when they make a mistake, but the extent to which it happens is stupid imo. It amazes me that people criticise referees for wanting to be famous: they're going to be the main talking point after many a match. It's a job that makes you famous, and that's fuelled by the people who supposedly don't want these 'attention-seeking' referees.

Something needs to be done about the respect shown to referees in football, and it needs to be done soon.

Fair comments. As I said in my first reply though, Keith Hackett has a lot more to answer for than a TV co-commentator IMO.

Maybe so, but I think the bloke who wrote the original post was a little narrow minded, I'd expand my criticism to the blanket media coverage of Styles after the game: if they're going to keep focusing on a ref like this then it's pretty unlikely we'll stop seeing 'attention seeking' refs that seem to be so despised. Styles was more talked about than Torres after that game, it's a fucking joke.

Also, what has Hackett said? Haven't seen his quotes, link would be appreciated.

Cheers for that. Absolute joke, he should keep his fucking gob shut. At the very most, something along the lines of "after all the media focus on Rob, we have decided to take him out of the spotlight for this weeks games, after all we want the focus to be on the football and not the referee". He's making his own men's jobs harder there.

The reaction because it was Liverpool is unreal.

Yet again just shows the biased towards the bigger teams and the bigger games.

It was a terrible mistake, but his positioning i think most would of bought it, not his fault. Do something about diving not the refs being fooled. Gray should of thrown his toys at Malouda for simulation or whatever you want to call it, not Styles for getting it wrong.

However he deserved a bollocking for the branding of a card in players face who he wasn't booking, this reason alone is why the FA have demoted him for the weekends games, but they can use the pen as the excuse for doing so without delving into another Poll fiasco.

A superb point in the middle paragraph. Referee's shouldn't get the blame for being conned by cheats, it's f****** hard to spot the difference between a dive and a clip at high speed from ground level.

Yeah, like Robbie Savage against Arsenal on Sunday.  I thought that he'd genuinely been fouled at first but, watching the replay, he blatantly cheated.  Nothing was really said about the referee making a good decision in not being conned but it was a good decision.  The only criticism is the yellow card didn't come out.

BTW, awful thread title.  Surely something like 'In defence of Rob Styles' or something would be much more appropriate.

Thought this one would provoke more people to look in the thread :razz:

Also, it's not too dissimilar to the heading F365 gave it, which is where I stole it from.

Would letting refs get away with every wrong decision make them better refs? no.

They should be judged on their performances and punished if they have a disaster like on Sunday.

Why? if he can't do his job properly the last thing he should be getting is a pat on the back.

Will the public slagging and a week off make him a better referee?

Thought not.

Would going "he did well" make him better/good enough? Also, no.

Would keeping his gob shut be an even better idea?

As Midds has already pointed out, an employer shouldn't be giving out a public lambasting like that. Of course he should admit there were errors made, but the way he's gone about it doesn't help one bit. 'I've called Rafa to apologise' FFS.

It's quite a dangerous precedent to set like - which is one of the reasons the FA stand up for refs even when they're completely in the wrong.  If you start suspending referees each time they get a decision wrong which changes the outcome of a match then we're not going to have anyone left to referee the games.

Of course this is less of a problem than it could be, because there is no chance in fucking hell that he would have been suspended for giving the exact same decision against Wigan or Bolton.

Why? if he can't do his job properly the last thing he should be getting is a pat on the back.

Will the public slagging and a week off make him a better referee?

Thought not.

Would going "he did well" make him better/good enough? Also, no.

That's fair enough.

Just trying to point out that slagging him off in public won't do anyone any good. Any criticism from his boss should have been kept private. Hackett should have acknowledged the mistake and supported him. He would have needed to have chosen his words carefully mind.  :lol:

When we played Liverpool on the first day of the season, Gerrard got that flaky free kick in the last minute from which he scored. In absolutely no way whatsover was it a free kick, he gave it as a result of Gerrard's whingeing. Gerrard conned the referee.

Media reaction? Ah well, Liverpool deserved to win anyway. Gerrard's reaction? "Over the course of the season these things even out".

So, fast forward one week .... Chelsea get dodgy pen at the expense of Liverpool. Gerrard's reaction? Clearly not from the 'these things even out' school of the week before. The media's reaction? Hysteria.

Gerrard is a cunt. The media are cunts. Fact.