Smith and Owen to start together upfront against Germany

OzzieMandias

I think Owen will pot at least one tonight and Smith will play well in support. 

I hope you are correct.

It seems like the proper time for him to come good.  ;)  Playing for Ingurlund a'narl. 

I can see this playing out like that Argies game when Owen scored late for the winner.  Actually, think he had two that match, right?

Crespo for the Argies, IIRC?

Can't remember who scored theirs.

But to be like that game would involve Germany withdrawing all their best players after going ahead. As their squad is even more depleted than ours, I can't see it happening.

:)  I just think Owen will notch a goal or two and give hope to the England faithful that he can lead the front line.  Prove he still has it sort of thing. 

As I say, I hope you're right. I fear, however, that his lack of match fitness will show.

He'll just have to net in the first half then.  :thup:

Guest Knightrider

A fully fit and on form Smith and Owen partnership would be a decent one in my opinion and is a two-some I've always wanted to see tested out up front for England. Sadly today I think neither are the players they once were, Owen through injury and Smith via being played around far too much throughout his career (he was very decent 2-3 years ago). On paper though they both have the right traits you'd look for in a partnership. For my money it would have been a more productive strike force than an Owen and Rooney tandem or a Rooney and Bent duo etc.

BTW it's nice to see Newcastle United being represented by England, however given the meaningless of these games in the grande scheme of things and how seperated players are to fans I don't feel any pride in wor players playing for the national side these days. That said, if Steven Taylor gets on I'll feel some pride because he's a product of our youth academy and indeed, street football here in Newcastle.

Good luck to all the Toon lads and England, I'm still a fan if not exactly a supporter.

Malcolm MacDonalds first goal was in a meaningless friendly with Germany, but everybody banged on about it. [probably because it was such a novelty having an NUFC player playing for England, but we won't go there]

His other goals were all against the mighty Cyprus, and they are still banged on about too. Still, it doesn't matter does it ? Playing for England is exactly that. Feel proud that NUFC players are playing for England.

Amazes me that so many modern day NUFC supporters don't realise how good it is to see our players playing for England.

<<< sigh >>>>

Guest Knightrider

Malcolm MacDonalds first goal was in a meaningless friendly with Germany, but everybody banged on about it. [probably because it was such a novelty having an NUFC player playing for England, but we won't go there]

His other goals were all against the mighty Cyprus, and they are still banged on about too. Still, it doesn't matter does it ? Playing for England is exactly that. Feel proud that NUFC players are playing for England.

Amazes me that so many modern day NUFC supporters don't realise how good it is to see our players playing for England.

<<< sigh >>>>

Do you feel any pride when Martins gets called up by Nigeria?

I'm proud two Newcastle strikers are starting for England, even if they play shite. Sorry about that.

precisely.

Thirded. When was the last time we could say this? 96?

<<< sigh >>>>

Why do you bring up the past so much, mate? 

Good player is Smudger.

He's got 3 goals in his last 70+ competitive games now at club level.

So, he really is a perfect replacement for Dyer.

Dyer got 14 goals in his last 70 games at club level so I'd say not, then again he doesn't get stuck in like Snudger does so that doesn't matter.

And 20 in the previous 216. He's a meastro!

That wasn't quite the point I'm making, my point has always been to replace Dyer with a player with pace who can stretch games, we've seen in the past before we signed Bellamy and Robert how a team can be changed when you add it, we should have been looking to replace Dyer with someone with similar pace but more consistent in his football rather than a talentless grafter who gets stuck in.

Dyer didn't stretch games. He scored very few, created even less.

I know it's hard but look past your hatred for Dyer and see the bit I've highlighted, do you agree with that?

No, i don't. I don't want a player who can run fast with the ball. I want a player to run fast with the ball and do something with it. Its not about more consistency than Dyer, its about more talent.

I don't think Smith is a replacement for Dyer (at least, he shouldn't be), but then i don't think we need a replacement for a midfielder who was s*** on the wing, and offered v little in the centre.

Agree with what baggio's saying, its what i was thinking when all of you wanted dyer gone. but to call smith  "talentless" is taking it too far. smith is a good player and his passion more than makes up for his lack of pace,  his passing game is often overlooked aswell; much rather have him than geremi, i mean we've seen smith play very well for manyoo and don't understand where all this negativity is coming from . He's highly rated by his own fans because of his great attitude and ability on the field.

Im going to end up contradicting myself now, but yeah we really need pacey playmaker..

All the negativity regarding Smith is coming from Baggio who, imo, is digging himself a rather large hole!

People said the same when the likes of me, HTL and Crumpy said the same about Scott Parker tbh.

I expect a few idiots will pull this up if he scores tonight but I really don't care as it's not the bigger picture, I bet nobody will be pulling it up come the end of the season except maybe me when I'm proven right. O0.

I agree, we should give Smith until the end of the season before we decide if he's good enough for us....

....Oh, but you didn't mean that. In fact you've already decided that he's not good enough for us.

It amazes me how you managed to blow your interview before FFS chose Big Sam as our new saviour.

How much is the bet by the way?!

Guest Knightrider

Didn't Smith and Owen start up front for England B a few months ago? Smith scored a good goal iirc.

Thought it was Smith up top on his own?

I'm proud two Newcastle strikers are starting for England, even if they play shite. Sorry about that.

precisely.

Thirded. When was the last time we could say this? 96?

Useless buggers... yes, it was against Poland in 1996 apparently (Ferdinand/Shearer).

Thanks. :knuppel2:

Didn't Smith and Owen start up front for England B a few months ago? Smith scored a good goal iirc.

Thought it was Smith up top on his own?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6670865.stm

Oh, jog my memory, did they play well together then?

Fuck knows, I didn't see it. Was a good drive into the corner from the edge of the box from Smith though. I think.

<<< sigh >>>>

Do you feel any pride when Martins gets called up by Nigeria?

I would rather he didn't, because it infringes on him playing for Newcastle whereas players playing for England doesn't do that, unless they are injured.

Additionally, as I'm English, I'm more interested in England, I'm not really arsed about other countries. I want them to do well for England.

I felt exactly the same when people like Bob Moncur, Tony Green, Tommy Cassidy etc played for Scotland, Ireland etc.

As a slightly different tack on it, we should be wanting the club to sign international players, because they are the quality we ought to have at the club. So I suppose you can't have it both ways. If Martins wants to play for Nigeria, then we have to let him go and play.

<<< sigh >>>>

For a proper perspective. Why ?

Are you one of these people who believe that the 40 years between the 1950's and 1992 were trophy laden years, buying major international players, playing regularly in europe and filling the stadium every week  ?

<<< sigh >>>>

You think?

I can't say I've noticed...

:lol:

You just can't resist.

I wonder why I'm still surprised Dave  :lol:

When Macdonald scored those goals, we all walked around feeling 10 foot tall. I dont' understand how people are so complacent and casual about our players playing for England. Its a huge honour, and a coup for the club to have them.

They linked up really well about 3 times last night. Wasn`t much more I noticed due to the lack of service into the front 2.

so it wasn't their fault that they were shit? :lol:

As always, we make excuses for our own. Thank fuck Dyer has gone, so we haven't got to put up with too many idiots claiming he did well.

Didn't notice Smith do too much apart from that near post flick on, which was excellent. Owen should have scored a couple but it's at least promising that he's getting sharp enough to get into goal scoring positions. Hopefully a copule more games and he'll actually be converting them as well.

Shame Taylor didn't get on the pitch, had a quid on him being last goalscorer at 60/1 on the basis we'd probably be behind, and if he'd come on he would have been up for the set pieces!