England vs The Dirty Hun @ Wemberley

Keefaz

didn't think Carrick was too bad. Thought Barry was very pedestrian when he came on, his average technique stood out a mile for me and it's something that would cause him problems if he played in a competitive match.

didn't think Carrick was too bad. Thought Barry was very pedestrian when he came on, his average technique stood out a mile for me and it's something that would cause him problems if he played in a competitive match.

Aye, because he struggles in the Premier League, like.

That average technique that saw him do a number of quality dribbles/barely misplace a pass/hold onto the ball?

Aye, I saw that as well.

Thought he looked a natural, personally. Always known he was a quality player though.

Taxi...

:blush:

Gerrard on the right. Rooney in the hole.

Right. Get on the blower to McLaren. We all agree with this formation. So do most the country, I bet.

Hargreaves and Barry as defensive midfielders?

For a team struggling to attack, that is a luxury. Hargreaves alone will do tripple defensive works Carrick does. One defensive midfielder is enough.

If everyone is fit

Ben Foster

Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole

Steven Gerrard, Owen Hargreaves, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole

Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen

Don't be stupid,Carrick is wank and Neville is past it for me.

Richards for right back !!

David Healy with two more goals. His international record is ridiculous for a side like Norn Iron.

Another quality player I'm glad we'll get to see in the Prem this year. Got robbed of a second league last weekend.

Third I think.

Guest Toon83

Bentley anyone?

I know he may have taken a step backwards after refusing to play for the U21s but he is still a quality player

Guest Coubury

Never mind shite England

Sir David was on fire for us again tonight!

He defiently will cut it in the premiership about time he was giving his chance!

at international level. can't see anything in barry that makes me think he can play for England. england have enough players with average technique and don't need any more of the scott parker, lee bowyer, gareth barry brigade. Carrick's in a different league to him, i'm afraid, and he is run of the mill at international level.

at international level. can't see anything in barry that makes me think he can play for England. england have enough players with average technique and don't need any more of the scott parker, lee bowyer, gareth barry brigade. Carrick's in a different league to him, i'm afraid, and he is run of the mill at international level.

Frankly, you're talking bollocks. Germany alone have proved that you don't need to have 11 Maradona's on the pitch to progress in World Cups and Euros.

Frankly, you're talking bollocks. Germany alone have proved that you don't need to have 11 Maradona's on the pitch to progress in World Cups and Euros.

Even the german midfielders have movement, control and short passing that puts our lads to shame. i think barry is your typical english midfielder who only looks good playing at a helter skelter pace. so a good player for an O'Neill team. you've got to assess players on the international stage by a different set of criteria and i don't think barry has an ounce of what you need. english fans are always mystified at how players who are average in the premiership can look so good at international level, but it is a different style of game. just cos a player looks good/bad in the domestic league doesn't mean it will translate onto a different stage.

David Healy with two more goals. His international record is ridiculous for a side like Norn Iron.

Better international record than Shearer.  bluelaugh.gif

Still don't think we'll end up qualifying, but it's still been amazing.  We're not Brazil we're Norn Iron.

Saw the England highlights aswell.  Paul Robinson = laughing stock.  McLaren has to go if they don't beat Israel.

Better international record than Shearer.  bluelaugh.gif

Still don't think we'll end up qualifying, but it's still been amazing.  We're not Brazil we're Norn Iron.

Saw the England highlights aswell.  Paul Robinson = laughing stock.  McLaren has to go if they don't beat Israel.

It really is ridiculous but as long as he keeps banging them in for us, i'll definately not complain!

HEALY! HEALY! HEALY!

England are a very poor team.  Simple as that.

Not a huge fan of England, but to say they have a "very poor team" is a bloody stupid thing to say.

They don't get the results, they don't play attractive football, they struggle against "inferior" opposition (and I'm not just talking about the German reserves), they lack leadership, they lack pride.  By my definition, that is very poor.  They have good players at club level, but on how many occasions have they looked like a decent team in recent memory?  Maybe they don't work well together, maybe the don't give a damn, maybe they are poorly managed.  For whatever reasons, they are very poor.  It gets tedious and boring to hear it all explained as some big mystery to figure out - as if they can just drop Keegan, Shearer, Sven, Beckham, McSven, Lampard, Gerrard, Robinson etc. and the quality will show itself.  Bollocks.  At some point, you have to consider the fact that they might not be that good after all. 

Not a huge fan of England, but to say they have a "very poor team" is a bloody stupid thing to say.

They don't get the results, they don't play attractive football, they struggle against "inferior" opposition (and I'm not just talking about the German reserves), they lack leadership, they lack pride.  By my definition, that is very poor.  They have good players at club level, but on how many occasions have they looked like a decent team in recent memory?  Maybe they don't work well together, maybe the don't give a damn, maybe they are poorly managed.  For whatever reasons, they are very poor.  It gets tedious and boring to hear it all explained as some big mystery to figure out - as if they can just drop Keegan, Shearer, Sven, Beckham, McSven, Lampard, Gerrard, Robinson etc. and the quality will show itself.  Bollocks.  At some point, you have to consider the fact that they might not be that good after all. 

What I meant to say but couldn't be arsed to type.

Good post :thup:

So in fact not a poor team but a poor manager? Ok. A "very poor team" would be a result of poor management and poor individuals, England aren't that.

A good team witherd down to a poor one via a very poor manager would of been more correct  O0

Guest SeattleToon

Why can't England develop any decent keepers? I mean the last world-class keeper England had was Shilton. Seaman, James, Robinson....all decidedly average...none of them would even make the bench for most other countries. I don't think even half of the teams in the Premier League have English keepers....can any other national say that??

Why can't England develop any decent keepers? I mean the last world-class keeper England had was Shilton. Seaman, James, Robinson....all decidedly average...none of them would even make the bench for most other countries. I don't think even half of the teams in the Premier League have English keepers....can any other national say that??

Seaman was a brilliant goalkeeper.

So in fact not a poor team but a poor manager? Ok. A "very poor team" would be a result of poor management and poor individuals, England aren't that.

A good team witherd down to a poor one via a very poor manager would of been more correct  O0

I'm not convinced that McClaren or Sven is the biggest problem.  There isn't a quick fix, because it has been a problem for a long time.  On paper, the team selection wasn't that bad.  After 20 minutes, the players just stopped doing their job.  They all play under good managers in the Premiership, they don't need anyone holding their hand at international level.  Maybe motivation is the big weakness, but that really shouldn't be that difficult playing Germany at Wembley. 

Seaman was a brilliant goalkeeper.

He was.  He just went on way too long.