Up top in a 4-4-2?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Knee-jerk-tastic poll based on a couple of nice linkups between Owen and Smith in the first half tonight. :lol:

If we go back to 4-4-2 and everyone is fit, what do you invisage as the most potent striking partnership up front, and thus would like to see tried together?

Owen and Viduka for me.

I like Martins, but those two are much more intelligent footballers who I think could complement each other. Viduka threading balls through tight markers with Owen knowing exactly where (and when) to run. :smitten:

Also, I reckon Martins could be fantastic as an impact substitute. Pace and power combined with the unexpected, unleashed on a tiring defence sounds nice.

Guest Gemmill

Owen and Viduka for me.

I like Martins, but those two are much more intelligent footballers who I think could complement each other. Viduka threading balls through tight markers with Owen knowing exactly where (and when) to run. :smitten:

Also, I reckon Martins could be fantastic as an impact substitute. Pace and power combined with the unexpected, unleashed on a tiring defence sounds nice.

Aye, I pretty much agree with that.  I reckon Inter had things spot on using Martins as a supersub.  And the Owen knowing exactly when and where to run thing is so right.

Owen and Viduka would be the ideal partnership in a 442.

far from ideal. owen in the past was at his best when with a partner who does all his running for him, goes out wide and makes space with his runs, a la heskey and anelka. this is only going to be more true after his bad injuries, and viduka doesn't fit the criteria. still a very good partnership as viduka drops deep and threads passes through, but not an ideal one. for owen smith might be a better bet as his movement across the pitch is better, while Viduka is perhaps better suited to exploiting Martins' qualities.

far from ideal. owen in the past was at his best when with a partner who does all his running for him, goes out wide and makes space with his runs, a la heskey and anelka. this is only going to be more true after his bad injuries, and viduka doesn't fit the criteria. still a very good partnership as viduka drops deep and threads passes through, but not an ideal one. for owen smith might be a better bet as his movement across the pitch is better, while Viduka is perhaps better suited to exploiting Martins' qualities.

Owen did alright alongside Shearer, didn't he? I'd say current Viduka > the Shearer that Owen played with in the season they were together. I went for Viduka/Owen as well, mostly agreeing with Dave's reasoning on it as well.

Owen did alright alongside Shearer, didn't he? I'd say current Viduka > the Shearer that Owen played with in the season they were together. I went for Viduka/Owen as well, mostly agreeing with Dave's reasoning on it as well.

true, but shearer is more similar to Smith than Viduka, better in the air and moved out wide more, even if he was slow as shit.  There's also the fact that Viduka moves far deeper than Shearer ever did, leaving Owen stranded, and i don't think he has the pace to play that way anymore.

true, but shearer is more similar to Smith than Viduka, better in the air and moved out wide more, even if he was slow as shit.  There's also the fact that Viduka moves far deeper than Shearer ever did, leaving Owen stranded, and i don't think he has the pace to play that way anymore.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word ideal, but its the best of a mixed bag. I'd like to try Smith and Owen as well if the truth be known.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word ideal, but its the best of a mixed bag. I'd like to try Smith and Owen as well if the truth be known.

aye, it's good to have a number of options all of pretty much the same standard: smith-martins, smith-owen, viduka-owen, viduka-martins. then there's Ameobi, the joker in the pack. if only big sam was interested in playing 4-4-2...

Viduka and Owen for me, those two fully fit would be very good in my opinion. Viduka would drop deep and play with his back to goal and generally be the focal point, while Owen would play the channels and look to push teams back, in turn giving Viduka and our midfielders more room to work in.

Martins would be very handy as an impact sub as well, as Dave said..

With those two in I'd be looking to play Milner and N'Zogbia on the wings, two players who can dribble and get crosses in and give us real width. Milner has looked good on the left but with Owen and Viduka up top you'd want to be getting service in to them as both of have terrific movement in the area and will get on the end of things. So Milner down the right would be for the best if N'Zogbia can start playing well again.

If Zoggy can't, we'll have Duff in a few months anyway to provide competition. But I'd love to see N'Zogbia stay in the team, get him and Milner playing the flanks well and we could have our set of wingers for the next decade. To think we almost lost both for a relative pittance.

In the middle then to compliment them I'd like Barton and Geremi. Good physical midfield that can play a bit and should theoretically have a good balance, with Geremi being more of a sitter in the middle while as Barton's our box-to-box man. Should be decent defensively too, as both work hard and aren't afraid to tackle.

With those six players we'd be best served playing a direct, high-tempo game as well, so with that being Allardyce's style there's a chance we'll see it.

Milner -- Barton -- Geremi -- N'Zogbia

----------- Owen -- Viduka

I'd like to see that six in action, everyone fit and playing well.

Viduka and Owen for me, those two fully fit would be very good in my opinion. Viduka would drop deep and play with his back to goal and generally be the focal point, while Owen would play the channels and look to push teams back, in turn giving Viduka and our midfielders more room to work in.

Martins would be very handy as an impact sub as well, as Dave said..

With those two in I'd be looking to play Milner and N'Zogbia on the wings, two players who can dribble and get crosses in and give us real width. Milner has looked good on the left but with Owen and Viduka up top you'd want to be getting service in to them as both of have terrific movement in the area and will get on the end of things. So Milner down the right would be for the best if N'Zogbia can start playing well again.

If Zoggy can't, we'll have Duff in a few months anyway to provide competition. But I'd love to see N'Zogbia stay in the team, get him and Milner playing the flanks well and we could have our set of wingers for the next decade. To think we almost lost both for a relative pittance.

In the middle then to compliment them I'd like Barton and Geremi. Good physical midfield that can play a bit and should theoretically have a good balance, with Geremi being more of a sitter in the middle while as Barton's our box-to-box man. Should be decent defensively too, as both work hard and aren't afraid to tackle.

With those six players we'd be best served playing a direct, high-tempo game as well, so with that being Allardyce's style there's a chance we'll see it.

Milner -- Barton -- Geremi -- N'Zogbia

----------- Owen -- Viduka

I'd like to see that six in action, everyone fit and playing well.

Like the look of that Shakky. Zoggy can also have license to drift inside when one forward cycles wide.

Subs:

Smith for Barton

Martins for Owen

Well this thread certainly makes me feel a better better than....

Up top in a 4-4-2

Martins---Sibierski

Martins---Dyer

er Martins----Milner

or Martins----Harper

?????

How can you possibly overlook the prolific Giuseppe Rossi.

When all are fully match fit I'd say Owen and Viduka. At the moment though they look the least match fit of our strikers.

Owen was quite encouraging tonight I thought.

Yeah he showed some good movement, just lacked the sharpness, hence his missed chances and a couple of narrow offsides. Still probably a couple of weeks behind Smith, Martins and Ameobi in terms of match fitness but he's getting there.

Viduka on the other hand has looked well off the pace, not sure whether it's a prolonged rest or more games that he needs. More games might make him more burnt out, but the longer he's rested the longer it'll take to get him fully fit again, bearing in mind he hasn't had a proper pre-season. Either way, it could be a while before we see the best of what he has to offer.