Owen: I'm fit, ready and sick of the speculation

Wullie

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport3.shtml

MICHAEL OWEN knows the football world will never again see the lightning pace and spectacular solo goals that made him the most exciting player of his generation.

Already at just 27 he is planning for retirement by opening his own racing stables with top trainer Nicky Vaughan in 160 acres of Cheshire countryside.

But the Newcastle and England striker declared: "There is no way I am ready for the knacker's yard."

Two years of crippling injuries, including a career-threatening cruciate knee problem, have prompted a growing belief his best years are behind him.

But if you suggest that to Owen, he insists his career will stretch into his mid-30's.

He said: "You get older, you go a bit grey and get a bit slower. Once we start getting closer to 30 and into our early thirties, we are not supermen.

"We are normal people. It happened to Alan Shearer and it will happen to me.

"But I'm only 27 and still in my prime. I feel quick and strong. I probably have had to modify my game. When I was a whipper-snapper I was sprinting down the channels, beating hundreds of players and crossing balls in.

"I was creating as many as I was scoring when I was a kid. Obviously, I've had to adapt my game because I've lost a yard of pace from all those hamstring injuries.

"When I was 17-18 I was a greyhound and it would be hard to get as quick as that again. I play more in the penalty box than I used to but I know where the ball's going to drop better than most.

"No, I'm not ready for the knacker's yard yet."

Owen's life is surrounded by rumour and speculation. The most popular gossip is Newcastle is merely a stopping-off point on his way to a more successful club.

Even his own Toon team-mates believe he spends his life flying back and forth to the north-east by helicopter - and that his heart and his football ambitions rest with an eventual return to Liverpool or joining Manchester United.

Owen scoffs at such talk. He recently bought a new house in the area from his ex-colleague Scott Parker and his family are settled there.

He said: "I've only been at Newcastle two years and the speculation's been unbelievable. At the end of every season people were asking 'Is Michael Owen going to stay or not?'

"I live up there and and my kids have been to school up there for two years. There is this perception that I divide my life between living in the north west and Newcastle.

"Well, I'm up there Monday through until Saturday. If we get a Sunday off, I'll sometimes fly out after the game and spend the day with my parents and family.

"Then I'll fly back up on Monday and spend the rest of the week there. Even my team-mates say 'Are you up here today?' and I say 'Yes, like I am every day'. Since I've been at Newcastle people have been thinking I'll leave. A lot think there's an agenda but there's not.

"There was a release clause in my contract that no one was supposed to be privy to but if people go and mention that I can't help it.

When Owen does eventually call a halt to his career, a life at the Manor House Stables beckons. But it will always be second to his obsession.

He said: "Football is my passion. Racing is for my retirement. It doesn't replace football but the thrill of seeing my horse come home first in my colours is the nearest thing I can get to scoring a goal."

I have to admit I'm suspicious of the bloke and that he hasn't endeared himself at all to me, personally, since his fantastic arrival almost two years ago to the day. He has a lot to prove to us, whether he thinks he does or not, and the only way to do it is by staying fit, playing regularly and scoring goals.

If he is still here after this current contract expires then I'll be amazed (i.e. if he signs an extension).

I won't shed any tears if he goes though, especially if he plays as sparingly as he has done since he joined here.

We'll see what I'm like if he bangs in 20-odd goals this season...

But who would honestly buy him - especially with his wages?  The top 4 are obviously not interested.

Maybe City now they have money.  Other than that the only club who could afford him are West Ham and I don't think for one minute he would go there.

Guest eyeball_tickler

Sell asap.

basically. he's a money grabbing prick who is desperate to leave. not committed at all and doesnt even want to play for us. he's probably sitting outside old trafford right now waiting for it to open since he's so desperate to join them.

its amazing how this is pretty much the same as martins has been saying and he gets "good lad" and "good to hear he's staying" and owen will get (tomorrow, its early) ripped to pieces for saying it. 

Sell asap.

basically. he's a money grabbing prick who is desperate to leave. not committed at all and doesnt even want to play for us. he's probably sitting outside old trafford right now waiting for it to open since he's so desperate to join them.

its amazing how this is pretty much the same as martins has been saying and he gets "good lad" and "good to hear he's staying" and owen will get (tomorrow, its early) ripped to pieces for saying it. 

To be fair Martins goals kept us up last season.

Sell asap.

Erm, calm down.

I said get rid as I think he's shite.

Sell asap.

Erm, calm down.

I said get rid as I think he's shite.

Yeah, he's shite  :rolleyes:

How can you even say that?

Guest eyeball_tickler

Sell asap.

To be fair Martins goals kept us up last season.

im all for martins staying, but many people have such a grudge against owen for no reason, other that what they've read on here. i suppose its all good fodder for the mass bump-a-thon next may.

Guest eyeball_tickler

Sell asap.

Erm, calm down.

I said get rid as I think he's s****.

he's actually the best player we have, so if he's shite, then we must be relegation candidates.

Guest sittingontheball

It would be nice to see him at a few more games when he's injured. He just seems to disappear.

He scored plenty in the few games when we first bought him, and that was with a crap manager. If its a sharp chance in the box, I'd have to say

Owen > Viduka >> Martins > Shola =(?) Smith

for sticking it in the net. Assuming all fairly fit and sharp, of course. Smith looked very unsharp when he got that opening last week.

If the Allardyce game plan is basically keep it tight, finishing the few chances we make and opposition mistakes will become more important. I'd want second and third balls from free kicks and corners etc. falling to Owen. Martins as supersub. Shola for Viduka cover. Smith for slight variations in mid-attack balance. Like the other thread says, they're not a good bunch for 4-3-3. You'd have to push Milner or Zog up there.

Guest mobiius

Sell asap.

The lad can't win either way if he keeps quiet he's not committed. When he speaks up  the above comments are written. One thing about Michael Owen, where ever he has gone he has scored goals and when the goals start coming for us he will be the dogs bollocks. He has been unlucky with injuries there is no disputing that but come the end of the season if he stays fit we will see what a difference his goals have made if any and if he is still here. That would probably be a better time imo to cast aspersions on his character and any agenda he may  or may not have had.

Guest elbee909

Owen is ripped into because he's not Alan Shearer, simple.  I'm sure some think that a good player wouldn't want to play for us unless he had some romantic reason like Alan did, hence as Owen doesn't have such a reason, it has to be more nefarious why he's still here.

Guest StJames

It would be nice to see him at a few more games when he's injured. He just seems to disappear.

He scored plenty in the few games when we first bought him, and that was with a crap manager. If its a sharp chance in the box, I'd have to say

Owen > Viduka >> Martins > Shola =(?) Smith

for sticking it in the net. Assuming all fairly fit and sharp, of course. Smith looked very unsharp when he got that opening last week.

If the Allardyce game plan is basically keep it tight, finishing the few chances we make and opposition mistakes will become more important. I'd want second and third balls from free kicks and corners etc. falling to Owen. Martins as supersub. Shola for Viduka cover. Smith for slight variations in mid-attack balance. Like the other thread says, they're not a good bunch for 4-3-3. You'd have to push Milner or Zog up there.

Do you go to work and watch your colleagues when you are sick?

Thread is full of whingers... lets be fair if any of the top 4 teams came riding in and wanted a player of ours they'd be gone.

Can't believe the amount of stick owen gets.. its all down to people not being able to cope with disappointment- he came in 17 mil and we all thought wahay! we've got a world class player on our hands- then he gets injured (not his fault) and all of a sudden these hopes come crashing down and anger sets in. patience, please at least give him time to prove that he's as sh*te as you lot say.

As much as Owen has let us down (not his own fault), we owe it to ourselves to give him a season to show what he can do. He's arguably the one player in our squad who could make the difference between mid-table and top 6, or even eventually between top 6 and top 4. Other clubs, including ourselves, have spent vast amounts of money trying to get a player of Owen's calibre, and we certainly won't attract another one for a while. Spurs just spent £16M on Bent because they couldn't attract someone like Torres, it just shows the difficulty in clubs like us briding the gap on the bigger clubs. In Owen we could have that player already on our books and we'd be mugs to let him go after a handful of games just because he got injured.

We're in a slightly precarious position with our strikers, two have clauses and one is getting old, which I think explains why people are stressing and saying we should pull the trigger now and get someone else in. In time that might prove to have been the right thing to do but if we don't give Owen a chance we'll never know, and he really could be one of the stars of our season. Last time he was fit he scored 7 goals in 10 games for us, he was the difference between the two sides in a few of those games.