Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Newcastle - 26/08/07 - Post match reaction from page 18

Dave

I still think things are positive for the future to be honest. We have plenty of quality players, a good manager, and better players unfit/injured. We just haven't clicked yet.

There are enough signs for me so far, it'll take me a while to get as despondent as some already are.

Good post.

Haven't been able to watch the game yet, but from what I've picked up we seem still to have the familiar capacity to self-destruct having just scored.

Surely though, it's too early to be getting hysterical about this - Sam's team's barely had time to bed in, anyone being depressive about things needs to take a deep breath and check themselves, tbh. Give it time. I'm encouraged that we've yet to lose so far.

Where is Solano? Could've done with him.

Good question.. Looks like he's vanished into thin air. He certainly would have had more to offer as right back than Carr or Ramage one would be inclined to think..

Not only that, he would have been the only creative spark in midfield as well.

The result is not bad and not holding to the lead two times is a bit disappointing, but the most worrying thing was imho the overall performance. We do create f*** all with a midfield of Smith, Geremi and Butt. Martins isn't a winger either, so there is nothing coming from him as well. No wonder the strikers are looking s*** when the only creative player in the whole team is playing at left back...

We desperately need Barton and Emre back to at least get a bit of spark into the team. The best would still be to look at the options left in the transfer market.

Are you feeling okay? :razz:

It's true though lol.

I still think things are positive for the future to be honest. We have plenty of quality players, a good manager, and better players unfit/injured. We just haven't clicked yet.

There are enough signs for me so far, it'll take me a while to get as despondent as some already are.

Precisely. I can appreciate people's disappointment after this result, especially given that we were infront twice, but you have to wonder what people are expecting (in general). If someone had offered me 5 points from out first 9, i would have accepted it - Allardyce isn't going to make miracles instantly; as you say - we're yet to click. I'm certainly still in a state of 'more than happy' on the whole.

Stupid thing is, we'll beat Barnsley comfortably and then no doubt beat Wigan, and people will be tipping us for fourth again.

Haven't been able to watch the game yet, but from what I've picked up we seem still to have the familiar capacity to self-destruct having just scored.

Surely though, it's too early to be getting hysterical about this - Sam's team's barely had time to bed in, anyone being depressive about things needs to take a deep breath and check themselves, tbh. Give it time. I'm encouraged that we've yet to lose so far.

^^ Should run in parallel with Dave's post in a Sticky, tbh.

Guest bluegeordie

For mine, and for the second game running, our midfield looked totally bereft of ideas (apart from Milner, of course, when we switched to 4-4-2). In short, I felt that Geremi, Butt, and Smith all had extremely poor games, and Barton's, Emre's, or even Nobby's introduction can't come soon enough.

On the positive side, apart from the obviously excellent performances of Zoggy and Milner, I still like the look of Rozenhal, and Cacapa looks the business too. In addition, maybe the injuries to Carr and Ramage will see us buy a right back in what remains of the transfer window (even if it does represent something of a panic buy, at this stage I'd be prepared to accept that - Ashley has the dosh, after all).   

In sum, and even though we led twice, when your midfield barely shows up away from home in a (sort of?) derby, a draw is in many ways more than you can expect.

Where is Solano? Could've done with him.

Good question.. Looks like he's vanished into thin air. He certainly would have had more to offer as right back than Carr or Ramage one would be inclined to think..

Not only that, he would have been the only creative spark in midfield as well.

The result is not bad and not holding to the lead two times is a bit disappointing, but the most worrying thing was imho the overall performance. We do create f*** all with a midfield of Smith, Geremi and Butt. Martins isn't a winger either, so there is nothing coming from him as well. No wonder the strikers are looking s*** when the only creative player in the whole team is playing at left back...

We desperately need Barton and Emre back to at least get a bit of spark into the team. The best would still be to look at the options left in the transfer market.

Are you feeling okay? :razz:

It rather shows my opinion about our current midfield set up, doesn't it... 

(I was unsure if I should have put in a safety wink in the previous post) :razz:

We should play Enrique left back and move N'Zogbia to the wing next game and definately drop Milner. He's the one who always picks the ball up with the most space to run it into but never does anything with it. Frustrating as fuck.

Milner was poor today but thats complete and utter bollocks! He is often the only outlet we have!

I bet you were sitting there tugging away everytime N'Zog tried to take on 6 players and lost the ball though.

To be honest I like that we're now harder to beat. As people have already pointed out you can't expect us to be amazing going forward with three defensive midfielders (and that's all we have available to us at this point). With Cacapa and Rozehnal in the centre, Enrique coming in at left back with Zoggy being pushed further forward combined with the return of Emre, Barton and hopefully a rejuivanted Duff and Owen our team will look a lot more exciting in future.

I like the fact that Sam says he's gonna have to be active in the market. Hopefully a new right back :).

For mine, and for the second game running, our midfield looked totally bereft of ideas (apart from Milner, of course, when we switched to 4-4-2). In short, I felt that Geremi, Butt, and Smith all had extremely poor games, and Barton's, Emre's, or even Nobby's introduction can't come soon enough.

On the positive side, apart from the obviously excellent performances of Zoggy and Milner, I still like the look of Rozenhal, and Cacapa looks the business too. In addition, maybe the injuries to Carr and Ramage will see us buy a right back in what remains of the transfer window (even if it does represent something of a panic buy, at this stage I'd be prepared to accept that - Ashley has the dosh, after all).   

In sum, and even though we led twice, when your midfield barely shows up away from home in a (sort of?) derby, a draw is in many ways more than you can expect.

Tell me you're pissed. Please.

We should play Enrique left back and move N'Zogbia to the wing next game and definately drop Milner. He's the one who always picks the ball up with the most space to run it into but never does anything with it. Frustrating as f***.

Milner was poor today but thats complete and utter bollocks! He is often the only outlet we have!

I bet you were sitting there tugging away everytime N'Zog tried to take on 6 players and lost the ball though.

N'Zog was a light year ahead of Milner today and if you can't see the difference in quality between the two players you had better give up tugging yourself tbh.

Disappointing result, but fair play to Big Sam, this team is a lot better than last year's and,

please give him 2-3 years to make the team up, which he announced immediately after his appointment.

Why bashing the team when it's finally showing glimpse of hope after so many years of dark ages?

if we don't beat wigan next week- shambles. i think thats fair to say.. i'm not going to argue with anyone about this.. standing my ground

Assuming we don't get six first teamers injured in training and/or against Barnsley, and get several penalties wrongly awarded against us, i'd probably agree. We really, really should beat Wigan.

Guest justin99.

TBH I think if zoggy hadn't scored, he would have received most of your criticism.

He must have lost possession about 10 times in his own half.

We should play Enrique left back and move N'Zogbia to the wing next game and definately drop Milner. He's the one who always picks the ball up with the most space to run it into but never does anything with it. Frustrating as f***.

N'Zog was a light year ahead of Milner today and if you can't see the difference in quality between the two players you had better give up tugging yourself tbh.

I was pointing out how one player will get nothing but praise no matter how much he does! Scored a fantastic goal and put in at least one quality cross so he pissed all over Milner today but he still has a big problem trying to do too much, losing it which leads to us being under pressure again.

You wont see this though because Milner is shite and N'Zog is just the greatest little player ever! Apparently....

To be honest I like that we're now harder to beat. As people have already pointed out you can't expect us to be amazing going forward with three defensive midfielders (and that's all we have available to us at this point). With Cacapa and Rozehnal in the centre, Enrique coming in at left back with Zoggy being pushed further forward combined with the return of Emre, Barton and hopefully a rejuivanted Duff and Owen our team will look a lot more exciting in future.

I like the fact that Sam says he's gonna have to be active in the market. Hopefully a new right back :).

I agree with that.

I am not really that unhappy at how things are as they are partly down to circumstances. Still it shows that we are still lacking depth (and of course quality) in the creative department. The only thing I don't understand is why a player like Solano isn't considered at all at the moment (he is still our player).

agree

So frustrating.

We were ceatively shit again today and that needs to be fixed ASAP, hopefully Emre will come back next week and with the introduction of Enrique we can play Zog left wing. We cannot keep playing Smith/Butt/Geremi in the smae midfield, it just doesn't work.

4-3-3 isn't working scrap it now please. We are much better side when playing 4-4-2.

Hopefully injuries to Carr and Ramage force us to buy a RB.

We don't look as prone to conceeding goals but those two goals we conceeded today were very soft and should have been prevented, especially the 2nd.