Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

This is a stupid story, anyone with any thinking ability will spot that straight away. If Liverpool were really desperate for defenders, they would look for someone who could go straight into their first team, not a raw youngster who still lacks judgement. He's not good enough to start for us on a regular basis, why would Liverpool want him if they need players who can do a job now?

This is a stupid story, anyone with any thinking ability will spot that straight away. If Liverpool were really desperate for defenders, they would look for someone who could go straight into their first team, not a raw youngster who still lacks judgement. He's not good enough to start for us on a regular basis, why would Liverpool want him if they need players who can do a job now?

Rafa buying English players as well. It just doesn't add up.

Rafa buying English players as well. It just doesn't add up.

Peter Crouch, Jermaine Pennant, David Martin, Paul Anderson.

Wow 2 1st teamers in how many transfers and how many years!

No way should we sell. This lad is gonna have a huge part to play in the future of the club, certainly for the next 10 years. Sure  he makes mistakes, but so does John Terry and Rio Ferdinand - and they are both England regulars. He'll get better with more experience.

Guest Ridzuan

Your Liverpool mate is talking rubbish.There is no chance in hell that he will leave for Liverpool or to any other club for that matter.

No way should we sell. This lad is gonna have a huge part to play in the future of the club, certainly for the next 10 years. Sure  he makes mistakes, but so does John Terry and Rio Ferdinand - and they are both England regulars. He'll get better with more experience.

He is nowhere even close to the level those lads were at when aged 21.

Anyone who thinks Taylor is like John  Terry really needs to look at the first boro goal conceded yesterday. A long ball, plenty of time in which to get in the right position, yet Taylor managed to let Mido get goalside and score an easy, gifted goal. Taylor is promising but he needs experience and he needs to learn not to switch off. It doesn't help when we big him up because he has a great attitude.

He lacks the pace Rio had to get him out of trouble, and the brute strength that Terry had to bully strikers with, but both made as many mistake at that age, and thats the main criticism the lad gets right now. He will get stronger and he's as fast as Terry, but he's got a lot of learning to do, it doesn't help being held back back having no good and experienced defenders to learn off or decent coaches or a competent manager.

He lacks the pace Rio had to get him out of trouble, and the brute strength that Terry had to bully strikers with, but both made as many mistake at that age, and thats the main criticism the lad gets right now. He will get stronger and he's as fast as Terry, but he's got a lot of learning to do, it doesn't help being held back back having no good and experienced defenders to learn off or decent coaches or a competent manager.

I disagree, he has more than enough brute strength, he just hasn't developed enough positional nous yet. He's not going to be bullied, but he will get out-witted by clever strikers at this stage.

He isn't going to be in their league, I'm sorry to say. The bit in bold doesn't really hold water. Players who are exceptional will do it anyway. Gazza had Willie McFaul, Pat Heard and Andy Thomas to link up with. He became a very good footballer as I remember. OF course he can learn from better players but I just wish people would accept him for the player he is rather than trying to kid everyone he is better than that. He's worth perservering with. If he can get his ego under control and stop trying to do things he can't then he will be fine.

I disagree, he has more than enough brute strength, he just hasn't developed enough positional nous yet. He's not going to be bullied, but he will get out-witted by clever strikers at this stage.

Its true, but again thats down to who he has to learn off.

Its true, but again thats down to who he has to learn off.

Stop making excuses for him.

He isn't going to be in their league, I'm sorry to say. The bit in bold doesn't really hold water. Players who are exceptional will do it anyway. Gazza had Willie McFaul, Pat Heard and Andy Thomas to link up with. He became a very good footballer as I remember. OF course he can learn from better players but I just wish people would accept him for the player he is rather than trying to kid everyone he is better than that. He's worth perservering with. If he can get his ego under control and stop trying to do things he can't then he will be fine.

I think he'll get close, i think Richards is the new Rio type player, and Taylor could possibly emulate Terry to an extent, but he has a long way to go and must keep focused.

Thing is with Gazza or players like that, the skill is natural, its all the other bits of the game they must learn to make it and that comes from just playing. With defending its a lot more to do with experience and coaching. You cannot teach what Gazza had but you can teach what Terry has to someone who's willing to learn and of decent intelligence. I think Taylor has enough footballing intelligence to get it right, as good as Terry, his strength will increase, unfortunately his pace will decrease as he gets bigger and older, but he's no slouch, its just not an asset, if it was he'd be able to get himself out of a few holes he or his fellow defenders have dug him into over the past few seasons.

Taylor just wants to be the hero the crowd loves, and every NUFC fan playing for Newcastle would want to be. Upfront that looks like desire and passion, at the back it looks like rashness and stupidity, he will get it right in the end.

Andy Thomas - now there is a name I haven't heard of for many years ! Although I think Pat Heard may have departed by the time Andy came on the scene.

Why give Taylor a hard time when his only crime is still to be fairly young and inexperienced when compared to a Terry, Ferdinand or Cacapa ? Hardly his fault and he shouldn't be derided for it.

I'm pretty open-minded about selling him. Depends on the fee and Allardyce's ideas on him and any prospective replacement/s. Just now, though, I'm not as happy as most with Rozehnal. He's made a number of mistakes that have had serious consequences for us, so far. Hopefully he'll come good, there's possibly an element of him still adapting to our League involved and for his fee he won't be too much of a mistake, but I don't have more confidence in him than I do Taylor and wouldn't want to leave this season in just his and the (bearing in mind a new league, age and injury record) unproven Cacapa.

Andy Thomas - now there is a name I haven't heard of for many years ! Although I think Pat Heard may have departed by the time Andy came on the scene.

Why give Taylor a hard time when his only crime is still to be fairly young and inexperienced when compared to a Terry, Ferdinand or Cacapa ? Hardly his fault and he shouldn't be derided for it.

I don't think anyone is giving him a hard time. Just pointing out that he's got plenty of good points but the glaring weaknesses will need to be eliminated from his game before the likes of Liverpool come calling. The goal he was at fault for yesterday was similar to the one on his debut under Bobby Robson. A bit disturbing to see he hasn't sorted that out yet tbh.

I don't think anyone is giving him a hard time. Just pointing out that he's got plenty of good points but the glaring weaknesses will need to be eliminated from his game before the likes of Liverpool come calling. The goal he was at fault for yesterday was similar to the one on his debut under Bobby Robson. A bit disturbing to see he hasn't sorted that out yet tbh.

I saw Rio run with the ball into the mid trying a couple of tricks and losing possession putting his team under pressure while he's just been passed out of the equation at the back.

Done it at West Ham, done it at Leeds, done it for England, still doing it now at nearly 30. Quite worrying he hasn't sorted it out in the 10+ years he's been a professional footballer at the top level.

I saw Rio run with the ball into the mid trying a couple of tricks and losing possession putting his team under pressure while he's just been passed out of the equation at the back.

Done it at West Ham, done it at Leeds, done it for England, still doing it now at nearly 30. Quite worrying he hasn't sorted it out in the 10+ years he's been a professional footballer at the top level.

The two situations are hardly the same though. One is about a defender trying to play the ball out of defence, the other is failing at basic marking and defending against a striker.

The two situations are hardly the same though. One is about a defender trying to play the ball out of defence, the other is failing at basic marking and defending against a striker.

I've seen Terry, King, Campbell, Rio, Nesta, Cannavaro all not pick up markers, all failing to clear balls, fail to do their job at corners, switch off, slip up, play a dodgy pass, score an own goal, generally make mistakes that cost games.

Taylor is as heavily scrutinised by his own fans than probably any other defender going right now, i just thank the gods the press have left him alone and develop at his own rate. I was worried in the summer with him getting a few headlines, but it looks like Richards will take those from now on, and Taylor can keep growing without the spotlight shining in his face.