Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

I think Taylor has a massive up hill struggle to get to where he could be, to be honest i dont think he'llmake it, his defending is far too flaky at times and we dont have the coaching set up to bring the raw ingredients together for him to prosper, his positional sense and concentration is non existent and to be honest he will never be able to dominate a top striker which is vital for him if he wants to be a top defender, you have to ask yourself if the likes of Taylor have the talent to be able to dominate a striker like Drogba or Adebayor and the honest answer for most of you will be not, physically he isnt as strong as Drogba and mentally he's not as sharp as the likes of Rooney or Tevez.

I personally like Cacapa more than i like Taylor, there is no doubt that has a much sharper brain than Taylor, however physicaly he isnt as strong as the likes of Faye, i would like to see those 2 together a little more, i think there is definitely a partnership there, hell id like to see Roz back in the sweeper role. He was unlucky in my book.

Taylor gets away with a hell of a lot because he's a local lad, if he was a foreigner would you all be so easy to forgive his mistakes?

Taylor gets away with a hell of a lot because he's a local lad, if he was a foreigner would you all be so easy to forgive his mistakes?

No he doesn't, it is an Internet myth & so is the 2nd part. Are Faye or  Beye getting slammed for being part of a defence that let 5 goals in are they fuck.

Taylor showed once again yesterday that he is a liability. Commitment and being a 'local lad' are the only things i can see good about him.

No wonder Cacapa, Roz and Faye look crap alongside him.

I got a genuine question for you. Can you list all the errors Taylor made vs Man Utd? Obviously not every single one of them, but enough of them to show some sort of background of why you think he was a liability. I really think he looked decent, apart from the third goal.

I don't think he's a world-class defender at all, but I still think he looks a decent prospect, who's been thrown in at the deep end, and has had to learn the hard way for quite a while now, without any authorative figure beside him who can teach him anything of what's needed to be a success at this level. People keep comparing him to Terry, Wheater, players like that, but noone mentions the fact that Terry had Desailly amongst others to teach him. Wheater has had Southgate. I really don't think it's a fair comparison at all.

Fact is, he shows signs of being a good defender, he's a no-nonsense type who is a strong tackler and strong header of the ball, and commitment really is important for any defender, especially one of his type. What he's lacking is finesse and a good touch, and the positional sense and anticipation is something that comes with experience, which is an area he really is underdeveloped in, due to the point I made previously.  To sum it up, I wholeheartedly agree that he's too rough around the edges to be playing week in week out in the PL, but calling him a liability and writing him off at this stage is just daft, in my opinion.

Guest MaetihS

Even at the start of the season, i say he is our worst CB and he is proving me right every single game. Cacapa is way much better...yes not as strong but in games he played...his mind is fast enough and reading of game isspot on and thus able to make a move to snuff out danger. Taylor way of defending is basically marking space, wait and back off until danger is looming and made a lunging foul or just making a fool out of himself. The way he slipped and let ronaldo through is poor too poor. I swap him for Bramble anytime.

Taylor showed once again yesterday that he is a liability. Commitment and being a 'local lad' are the only things i can see good about him.

No wonder Cacapa, Roz and Faye look crap alongside him.

I got a genuine question for you. Can you list all the errors Taylor made vs Man Utd? Obviously not every single one of them, but enough of them to show some sort of background of why you think he was a liability. I really think he looked decent, apart from the third goal.

I don't think he's a world-class defender at all, but I still think he looks a decent prospect, who's been thrown in at the deep end, and has had to learn the hard way for quite a while now, without any authorative figure beside him who can teach him anything of what's needed to be a success at this level. People keep comparing him to Terry, Wheater, players like that, but noone mentions the fact that Terry had Desailly amongst others to teach him. Wheater has had Southgate. I really don't think it's a fair comparison at all.

Fact is, he shows signs of being a good defender, he's a no-nonsense type who is a strong tackler and strong header of the ball, and commitment really is important for any defender, especially one of his type. What he's lacking is finesse and a good touch, and the positional sense and anticipation is something that comes with experience, which is an area he really is underdeveloped in, due to the point I made previously.  To sum it up, I wholeheartedly agree that he's too rough around the edges to be playing week in week out in the PL, but calling him a liability and writing him off at this stage is just daft, in my opinion.

Well both of Ronaldos goals were his fault, for a CD his tracking was shocking, i could see Ronaldo making that run with my eyes closed, and his second goal, although was Faye's initial fault for giving the ball away, Taylor showed the composure of a pissed granny with zimmer frames on ice.  Really really bad defending, just dived across Ronaldo.

Guest MaetihS

tbh, 99% of us know he is perhaps the worst defender in the prem. but becauese he is "ours", we find excuses for him. doubt anyone will moan if we manage to offload him.

No he doesn't, it is an Internet myth & so is the 2nd part. Are Faye or  Beye getting slammed for being part of a defence that let 5 goals in are they f***.

Faye is unquestionably a very good defender, Cacapa and Roz have already been castigated despite proving throughtout there careers that they have very capable, Taylor, have a look through this entire thread and you will see the number of people who have written off Cacapa and Roz after half a season here and the same number who have been able to see past the obvious fallacies that Taylor has, for about 3/4 seasons now, "because he has potential".

I dont understadn why people rate him so highly, when he has so many obvious fallacies.

Wheres the level assessment on that?

Guest MaetihS

I always wonder why Taylor is so often standing alongside Given on the goal line. Shouldn't he be marking a forward instead?

Easy answer. He knows nuts about defending. He just puts on a "i play 100%" face and makes people think he is actually trying his best to defend. if we give him the benefit of the doubt and that he is trying his 100%, omg...all the more h should not play. At least Big Sam knows this and often bench him.

Look at Saha's goal as well and you will see that the pass to Saha before he shoots should be dealt with by Taylor.

Taylor is watching Rooney dribble the ball, even though Rooney has already been picked up by Beye.

Saha slips in behind Taylor, who is at this point marking no one, and as soon as Saha gets the ball he shoots and scores just before Faye can get over to cover for Taylor.

Taylor is not a good defender and is never better than Cacapa.

Taylor mistakes contributed to 3 Man U goals yesterday. both of Ronaldo's and Saha's.

Guest MaetihS

Taylor is in no way better than Cacapa, wonder why some of us albeit a minority few says so. In fact, Taylor gets the best "compliment" from my mate (a 32yr old man u fan) after the game...calling me up and smirked "Taylor is fast becoming the worst defender in your club's history". I cannot disagree.

Guest MaetihS

Then you have not seen many of the defenders we've had over the years.

i have and honestly, no offence, he is so crap that i think he is the worst. Even the likes of Bramble, Dabizas and obrien and if i may Caldwell brothers do give a decent performance occasionally, as for this joker, cannot remember seeing him having a fine game. even his best game is always littered with mistakes or as one poster points out, his mistakes are rarely highlighted as compared to those of the mentioned because he is often too far away from the action marking space....nothing can be worse for a defender if you cannot stick to your man. His passing is even worse...gimme Bramble anytime. Bamby looks like Maldini as compared to Taylor.

Guest MaetihS

Think the debate has gone too long :). No point talking him down or up. Seems like the consensus is that he is not a good defender and may not develop into a decent defender even. So lets move on and get a decent defender in the summer and drop him to the reserves to get his act together. Better still cash him out, to think he asked for a better contract recently is really unbeliveable.

Too much pressure on a lad who is only 20 years old.

Stick him in a defence that works, alongside a comanding leader and he'll shine. Expecting him to deal with the barrage of attacks that our piss poor midfield let through every game is too much. Like another poster said Beye and Faye were part of the backline as well but no-one is blaming them.

Personally I think it's time for Taylor to be rested so that our two more experienced CBs can try to dig us out of this hole.

The fact is we were on a hiding to nothing from the start with Barton and Butt in the centre, and we will continue to ship goals unless they are dropped.

Guest shaun11177

Cacapa should be better than Taylor he has had another 10 years experience.

Bramble at 19/20 was a very good prospect, he then had that season at Ipswich when they were relegated and shipping in goals left right and centre, he was never the same player again, somehow that affected him in the long term and the same will happen with Taylor if we dont take him out of the firing line.

Its not rocket science that he needs pairing up with an experienced communicative leader otherwise he has no chance. He also needs some one to one coaching from an ex centre half not sure Hughton comes into that category.. When he went to Wycombe on loan for 4 weeks he said he learnt more from Tony Adams in that 4 weeks than any amount of coaching in the Academy etc.

Too much pressure on a lad who is only 20 years old.

Stick him in a defence that works, alongside a comanding leader and he'll shine. Expecting him to deal with the barrage of attacks that our piss poor midfield let through every game is too much. Like another poster said Beye and Faye were part of the backline as well but no-one is blaming them.

Personally I think it's time for Taylor to be rested so that our two more experienced CBs can try to dig us out of this hole.

The fact is we were on a hiding to nothing from the start with Barton and Butt in the centre, and we will continue to ship goals unless they are dropped.

So we're back to other players being needed to make him look good then?