Time to drop Steven Taylor?

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IM this should be our defence:

Beye   Cacapa   Faye    Enrique

enrique didnt look to good yesterday i was undecided yesterday if he is a quality player, at times he cleared the ball well but then he got into some funny positions which i think made the cb confused to what he was actually doing.

Guest ExiledGeordie

It's his first game for a new club. How can you be undecided as to whether Enrique is a quality player?  bluelaugh.gif Some of the stuff written on here is ridiculous.

Guest Ridzuan

IM this should be our defence:

Beye   Cacapa   Faye    Enrique

enrique didnt look to good yesterday i was undecided yesterday if he is a quality player, at times he cleared the ball well but then he got into some funny positions which i think made the cb confused to what he was actually doing.

I think that is is too early to judge Enrique and it was his first game for us in front of a large crowd.I believe it will take him sometime before we see what he can really do.Anyway back to the topic,as much as Ive been impressed by Cacapa,I think we shouldnt drop Taylor.I think Taylor is doing well and he should be the  first choice player while Cacapa can be a replacement for him.

Guest ExiledGeordie

To coin Ian Wright's phrase I think everyone's "had a coffee" regarding Steven Taylor. He's young/raw and yes needs improvement but he's a great player and its not like he's been shocking is it? Alright he got caught out for that pass against Boro but it was a very well judged/weighted pass. We won the game at Bolton and we didnt concede against Villa.

Atleast we have competition for places for once so people will have to be on their toes. Can only work in our favour. People go down with injuries and with more players it keeps players fresher what with cup competitions etc

Rotation, rotation, rotation.

Having international class defenders in the squad is the best thing that could have happened to Taylor.  It might actually help him realize his hype & potential. 

No way. Forced rotation in our back four has been the major problem for years now. Imo once you have your strongest back four you should only rotate when forced by injury.

As for Taylor I think we need to take him out and use him when needed. Saying that we havn`t really seen enough of any of the new CB`s. Its still early days.

It's his first game for a new club. How can you be undecided as to whether Enrique is a quality player?  bluelaugh.gif Some of the stuff written on here is ridiculous.

Have you followed enrique in previous clubs and watched him play?

I didnt say he WASNT a quality player i said i was undecided which is a fare comment and yes i know it was his first game thats why i said i was undecided!  All i said was he made quite a few mistakes and was out of position lots. only thing that is ridiculous is that you commented without understanding what i wasd saying!

There's no way Rozenhal deserves to be dropped, what's he done wrong so far?  He's looked very good and while Taylor has been fairly good as well he certainly hasn't looked as solid as Rozenhal.  Its got to be Cacapa and Rozenhal IMO.

Yup, its so good to finally have experiened defenders. Capaca looks brilliant and with his leadership skills he needs to be the first centre half on the teamsheet. Its who partners him, and Rozenhal has earned that place, He's looked very solid. Its harsh on Taylor but its a harsh business, you have to bit the bullet and pick the the best team. Its all good because its healthy competition and he needs that, it will only help him.

Guest Deep456

Goalkeepers: Given, Harper, Krul.

Right backs: Beye, Geremi, Solano

Centre backs: Faye, Taylor, Rozenhal, Cacapa

Left backs: Enrique, ?, Babayaro

Right Midfielders: Milner. ?

Central Midfielders: Smith, Emre, Barton, Butt, ?

Left Midfielders: Zog, Duff

Big forwards: Viduka, Ameobi

Small forwards: Owen, Martins

IN: RM(Deco) ,CM(?), LB(Shorey)

OUT: Carr,Babayaro.

After we get these people in and getting rid of Carr and Babayaro we can start rotating the whole time should they all be fit.

Unless we buy a RB then thats where Taylor will play, he will turn out to be a world class player but he has been way over used by us in the past ans so far this season, I still worry a bit when I see him going in for a challenge in and around the area as he still has plenty to learn.

It has to be Roze and Cacapa as our two main CB's though so Taylor will be stuck at RB unless we buy one and if that happens he will be a sub, will make a nice change thought o have a CB sub we have a bit of faith in.

Why should he be dropped? He was our best defender last season and has been just as good this season playing with rozenhal

Because Cacapa has proved he is better than Taylor, as has Roze so its the natural thing to play your best 2 CB's.

Why should he be dropped? He was our best defender last season and has been just as good this season playing with rozenhal

Because Cacapa has proved he is better than Taylor, as has Roze so its the natural thing to play your best 2 CB's.

Cacapa? yes hes been good for TWO games, and if he is going to be put in the squad then taylor should play right back even when the fat b****** (carr) is fit

Cacapa? yes hes been good for TWO games, and if he is going to be put in the squad then taylor should play right back even when the fat b****** (carr) is fit

If we do not sign a RB then yes of course Taylor will play there but no way is he 1st choice CB anymore, its good for us though to have a much better back four and better cover for the four starting players.

I think Sam will pick the best players to line up in our defence. Each player has unique characteristics which may be more suited to the defensive model Sam wants to apply, I think it is fair to say he will pick the line up he thinks will function best...

I would go for experience given that both Rozenthal and cacapa have played a lot longer and against much better opposition than Taylor has. it would be a good idea to use taylor at right back until Beye gets bedded in and then play him in cup games and for injured players. He's still only young and learning, the "rest" might do him good and make him put more effort in getting back into the side...

If we do not sign a RB then yes of course Taylor will play there but no way is he 1st choice CB anymore, its good for us though to have a much better back four and better cover for the four starting players.

Even if we don't sign Beye, I'd sooner play Geremi at right-back and free a midfield space up for someone else.

What's the rush with Taylor? I just don't get it. The guy is a talented 21 year old who is still learning and improving.

In Rozehnal we have a Czech international who has played in the World Cup and in Cacapa we have a former Lyon captain who has won 5 league titles in France. Both have looked excellent so far and are far more experienced than Taylor. In my opinion they both have to be our first choice centre backs. This should not be viewed as a disservice to Taylor though. It's an excellent opportunity for him to learn and grow, and I reckon it will be the making of him.

In my opinion the situation could not be more ideal as Cacapa is 31 and so within a couple of years at the most, he can take more of a back seat and allow Taylor to then step into the team at the age of 23, with all the time in the world ahead of him still.

In the meantime Taylor will still be a valuable member of the team and the first defender in when someone is injured or needs a rest. Centre backs with experience are so important, and so we have to go with our most experienced pair. The only situation in which I would have had Taylor start ahead of either Cacapa or Roz, is if he was clearly better than either of them. thuis is definitely not the case.

What's the rush with Taylor? I just don't get it. The guy is a talented 21 year old who is still learning and improving.

In Rozehnal we have a Czech international who has played in the World Cup and in Cacapa we have a former Lyon captain who has won 5 league titles in France. Both have looked excellent so far and are far more experienced than Taylor. In my opinion they both have to be our first choice centre backs. This should not be viewed as a disservice to Taylor though. It's an excellent opportunity for him to learn and grow, and I reckon it will be the making of him.

In my opinion the situation could not be more ideal as Cacapa is 31 and so within a couple of years at the most, he can take more of a back seat and allow Taylor to then step into the team at the age of 23, with all the time in the world ahead of him still.

In the meantime Taylor will still be a valuable member of the team and the first defender in when someone is injured or needs a rest. Centre backs with experience are so important, and so we have to go with our most experienced pair. The only situation in which I would have had Taylor start ahead of either Cacapa or Roz, is if he was clearly better than either of them. thuis is definitely not the case.

Exactly. I wouldn't even describe it as being dropped. Taylor has done a good job when asked to play in the first team, but at the top level you need experienced, quality defenders not promising youngsters still learning their trade. No doubt Taylor will figure plenty this season but it's great to have such proven quality as first choice defenders for a change.

drop Taylor, he feels he's got it cushy because in the past there's been so much shite around him (Bramble, Moore) that he's an automatic choice.

However now with an experienced Czech international (who so far hasn't put a foot wrong) and an ex-Lyon captain who won the league 5 times, he has to acknowledge that perhaps now he isn't an automatic choice.

However on the other hand, when playing alongside either, it should (in theory) teach him quite a bit about his play (positioning etc).  Maybe next season is his season.

I honestly rate Taylor higher then i rate Rozenhal, he's young and he'll improve alot he should be playing more often this season, wouldn't mind seeing Allardyce using a rotation system between all of our defenders. (Aside from Carr and Baba, they belong in Gateshead FC)