"Shepherd was not a good chairman" - Sibierski

JH

Guest Sniffer

For those of you who can't remember, robson deserved to go as he was unable to motivate the team and neede to be replaced. Bad timing as it should have been done much earlier but necessary.

To say that it's FS's fault that we have won nothing is utter bollocks as there is plenty of blame to around and plenty of people who should be blamed....not least the players.

Guest optimistic nit

Shepherd wasn't all that bad, he just lost it around the time he sacked Robson (which wasn't his idea) and couldn't turn it around after that.

Would any of our transfers have been that different this season if Shepherd had still been here? After all he was the one who appointed Allardyce.

Would the debt have played a part?

Yes it would, but he still would have spent the same or maybe even more than we did this summer with the view of clearing a large chunk of the debt off over the next few years with the extra income from the tv deals, Ashley has paid off £30 million which seems to be under high interest and that's what Shepherd would have knocked off over the next few years.

Also Allardyce has said we'll have to wait and see if this board backs him as much as Shepherd said he would this summer.

I'm not saying I still want Shepherd here btw as I don't, his time had come to an end and I think he'd taken us as far as he could, it's wide of the mark to just say he was a shit chairman for us though.

Oliver-tastic. :razz:

I agree though. :thup:

well he was appointed chairman in 1997 no?....

i agree in part, but there is no doubt in my mind he was a shite chairman for us. (whose idea was it to sack bobby?)

Guest Phil K

Shepherd was not a good chairman.

His choice of managers - Souness and Roeder's multitudinous offers of jobs since should be enough proof, for God's sake.

Shepherd wasn't all that bad, he just lost it around the time he sacked Robson (which wasn't his idea) and couldn't turn it around after that.

Would any of our transfers have been that different this season if Shepherd had still been here? After all he was the one who appointed Allardyce.

Would the debt have played a part?

Yes it would, but he still would have spent the same or maybe even more than we did this summer with the view of clearing a large chunk of the debt off over the next few years with the extra income from the tv deals, Ashley has paid off £30 million which seems to be under high interest and that's what Shepherd would have knocked off over the next few years.

Also Allardyce has said we'll have to wait and see if this board backs him as much as Shepherd said he would this summer.

I'm not saying I still want Shepherd here btw as I don't, his time had come to an end and I think he'd taken us as far as he could, it's wide of the mark to just say he was a shit chairman for us though.

Oliver-tastic. :razz:

I agree though. :thup:

well he was appointed chairman in 1997 no?....

i agree in part, but there is no doubt in my mind he was a shite chairman for us. (whose idea was it to sack bobby?)

Douglas Hall.

Guest Phil K

i agree in part, but there is no doubt in my mind he was a s**** chairman for us. (whose idea was it to sack bobby?)

It was FREDDY's idea to sack Bobby. NOT Douglas Halls.

Right decision, done a season too late.

I have no doubt that Freddy tried to lessen the blow by offering him another job at the club, though.

i agree in part, but there is no doubt in my mind he was a s**** chairman for us. (whose idea was it to sack bobby?)

I have no doubt that Freddy tried to lessen the blow by offering him another job at the club, though.

That's strange, because Robson has said himself on more than one occasion that it was Hall who insisted he was sacked, he also said Hall had a big say in the majority of the major decisions at the club.

Guest Phil K

That's strange, because Robson has said himself on more than one occasion that it was Hall who insisted he was sacked, he also said Hall had a big say in the majority of the major decisions at the club.

Everything I read on the subject said Freddy.

Yours is the first to say Hall.

Guest elbee909

For those of you who can't remember, robson deserved to go as he was unable to motivate the team and neede to be replaced. Bad timing as it should have been done much earlier but necessary.

Yes, after years and years of being in the upper echelons of management, he suddenly lost the ability to motivate teams; and I'm sure he was in no way undermined by those further up the chain... yeah.

Bad timing?  It was catastrophic and led to a slump we're only beginning to recover from.  The effect Robson had was taken for granted and people started to take the piss, below him as well as above.

Yes, after years and years of being in the upper echelons of management, he suddenly lost the ability to motivate teams; and I'm sure he was in no way undermined by those further up the chain... yeah.

Bad timing?  It was catastrophic and led to a slump we're only beginning to recover from.  The effect Robson had was taken for granted and people started to take the piss, below him as well as above.

True, and fans as well, imo.

If you've read Sir Bobby's autobiography he says that he thinks Douglas hall was behind him getting sacked, he's also still a close friend of Shepherds (which is why he was sat by him at home games when he was chairman) and he was fully behind him if he wanted to buy the club outright off the Halls.

Guest optimistic nit

i personally don't think robson needed to go, like he did anyway. he was sacked at the wrong time, and in the wrong way. he should have been phased out instead of sacked 5 games in imo, like Sir Alex at manure and Carlos Quintos.

If you've read Sir Bobby's autobiography he says that he thinks Douglas hall was behind him getting sacked, he's also still a close friend of Shepherds (which is why he was sat by him at home games when he was chairman) and he was fully behind him if he wanted to buy the club outright off the Halls.

Quality book as well. Worth a read for sure. :thup:

Guest Sniffer

Robson did need to go and the majority of fans recognized it at the time. Looking back with rose tinted glasses won't change that. Although Shephard was not blameless in much that went on at the Toon, I'd point the finger at a certain group of players particularly around the time BR was sacked.

Just been on SSN, Sibierski has said today that as a Newcastle fan, he's happy that Shepherd left the club because in his time there, he saw that Shepherd was a bad chairman.

He also said the reason Newcastle haven't won anything was because of Shepherd.

:lol:

Not saying owt we didnt know, but still a fuckin legend for saying it!

Robson did need to go and the majority of fans recognized it at the time. Looking back with rose tinted glasses won't change that. Although Shephard was not blameless in much that went on at the Toon, I'd point the finger at a certain group of players particularly around the time BR was sacked.

As chairman of the club, the buck stopped with Shepherd. If he deserves any credit for our brief flirtation with success under Robson, then he must also get the blame for taking us from the CL-qualifying team he inherited, to the debt-ridden, mid-table shambles that we were when he left.

Things would only have got even worse if he'd stayed. Sibierski is right.

Take off the rose tinted glasses yourself and you'll see that Robson became a lame duck the day Shepherd went in front of the press to inform everybody that Robson was not having his contract renewed, the minute he did that was the minute that the players knew they'd be at the club longer than the manager, the manager had lost all authority in the same way as a certain Mr Ferguson had at Man U when he announced that he was going to retire.  Man U were struggling until he changed his mind and said he'd remain as manager of Man U.

Most people predicted that Robson wouldn't have the players on his side as soon as the announcement was made.

Take off the rose tinted glasses yourself and you'll see that Robson became a lame duck the day Shepherd went in front of the press to inform everybody that Robson was not having his contract renewed, the minute he did that was the minute that the players knew they'd be at the club longer than the manager, the manager had lost all authority in the same way as a certain Mr Ferguson had at Man U when he announced that he was going to retire.  Man U were struggling until he changed his mind and said he'd remain as manager of Man U.

Most people predicted that Robson wouldn't have the players on his side as soon as the announcement was made.

He lost it before then Mick, we were shite the previous season and only made it to 5th because everyone below us were awful.

Should have gone in the summer at the same time Liverpool replaced Houllier.

Was he always a Newcastle fan?

Well he said after the Wigan-Sunderland match that the mackems were booing him because he played for us and that he was glad to score because as a Newcastle fan that was his derby match. What a legend, got a mate who looks just like him an all.