Newcastle United 1-0 Wigan Athletic - 1/9/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

Guest nufc 4 life

1746: REACTION Newcastle 1-0 Wigan

Sam Allardyce hopes the win, and more significantly a first home goal since February, can kickstart Newcastle's season. "Now we've got the bogey off our back we'll hopefully get more goals," he says. Opposite number Chris Hutchings is aggrieved by the refereeing as "decisions went against us". He also dismisses the Kevin Kilbane red card incident as a "clash of heads".

"It was a controversial decision from Steve Bennett."

Garth Crooks, BBC Score pundit

Yes, let's not remember a on-side goal ruled out and a penalty not given.

I bet the ruled out 'goals' (one of which should have apparently stood) are erased from history like they never happened i.e. they won't be shown on Match of the Day. Garth Crooks didn't like the sending off so you can be sure that will be heavily featured. We got the 3 points though!

Probably would, but that goal should have stood. Viduka was onside when the ball was kicked to him, and Viduka was more forward than Owen when he chested it to him.

Also don't forget Bramble's handball which was going straight into Owen's path.

Guest MIKELMAN11

Looked like a draw for sure which would have been shite after dominating the game , pleased for owen and the defence should be pretty solid now  :celb: its looking alot better at the toon now .

My ratings from seeing the game on the TV.

Harper - 7. Composed. I don't feel as secure as when Given's in goal but it's getting better.

Zoggy - 8. Magnificent. Raped them down the left wing. Enrique needs to be played and him moved up to midfield asap.

Cacapa - 7. Another solid game. Very tidy and releases the ball very quick.

Rozehnal - 8. Composed. That's the word that best describes his play. Great signing.

Taylor - 8. I reckon he should keep his place. He's very solid, and actually contributed to our attacking play today. He's also a danger from set-pieces which is something that will benefit us.

Milner - 7. Very productive first half but faded a bit in the second half when they double-teamed him on the left wing.

Smith - 6. The game seems to pass him by atm. Obviously not in his best position and people shouldn't criticize his play but surely we have better options (Martins for one).

Geremi - 8. Takes his time with his passes but he's solid enough and was a central part to our attacking play today.

Butt - 7. Solid performance again. Should have probably scored but he's everywhere.

Owen - 8. Should have had a hat-trick which says more about his positioning, anticipation than it does his finishing atm. He'll get his goals and we'll get the points, just like we did today. Good to have him back.

Viduka - 6. Good half from him. Hopefully will recover in time for the Derby game.

Ameobi 6. Was actually involved and didn't try to bully players. He has to realise he's not Shearer and must let the game come to him, which he seemed to do today.

Martins - 6. Fantastic cross with his right foot. Contributed more than Smith in the 20 or so minutes he was on. Needs to be on the pitch

Overall a really excellent performance. Wigan weren't bad defensively yet we had something like 19 shots on goal. The goals will come. On another day, we would have had the penalty, the Owen goal would have been given and Owen himself would have finished at least a couple more chances. This lack of 'creativity' might be overrated. Certainly we'll be better, or at least we should, when Barton returns, but we'll be good enough for the time being :D

My ratings from seeing the game on the TV.

Harper - 7. Composed. I don't feel as secure as when Given's in goal but it's getting better.

Zoggy - 8. Magnificent. Raped them down the left wing. Enrique needs to be played and him moved up to midfield asap.

Cacapa - 7. Another solid game. Very tidy and releases the ball very quick.

Rozehnal - 8. Composed. That's the word that best describes his play. Great signing.

Taylor - 8. I reckon he should keep his place. He's very solid, and actually contributed to our attacking play today. He's also a danger from set-pieces which is something that will benefit us.

Milner - 7. Very productive first half but faded a bit in the second half when they double-teamed him on the left wing.

Smith - 6. The game seems to pass him by atm. Obviously not in his best position and people shouldn't criticize his play but surely we have better options (Martins for one).

Geremi - 8. Takes his time with his passes but he's solid enough and was a central part to our attacking play today.

Butt - 7. Solid performance again. Should have probably scored but he's everywhere.

Owen - 8. Should have had a hat-trick which says more about his positioning, anticipation than it does his finishing atm. He'll get his goals and we'll get the points, just like we did today. Good to have him back.

Viduka - 6. Good half from him. Hopefully will recover in time for the Derby game.

Ameobi 6. Was actually involved and didn't try to bully players. He has to realise he's not Shearer and must let the game come to him, which he seemed to do today.

Martins - 6. Fantastic cross with his right foot. Contributed more than Smith in the 20 or so minutes he was on. Needs to be on the pitch

Overall a really excellent performance. Wigan weren't bad defensively yet we had something like 19 shots on goal. The goals will come. On another day, we would have had the penalty, the Owen goal would have been given and Owen himself would have finished at least a couple more chances. This lack of 'creativity' might be overrated. Certainly we'll be better, or at least we should, when Barton returns, but we'll be good enough for the time being :D

Wouldn't have given Geremi an 8, probably a 6. Made a few sloppy passes.

Personally, I thought he covered well in defence and releases the ball to the right players. Seems a bit slow when actually releasing it but at least he's not doing spins or passing it backwards all the time. Our whole attack was usually defence -> geremi -> wingers and then move on from there. Since our attack was good today, Geremi deserves some credit.

All I have to say is, we battered them in the first half, should of been at least 2-0 at half time, if kilbane hadn't been sent off hesky would of and should of. Dont see what Hutchings is moaning about they were battered for pretty much the whole game.

Over the moon.

Jesus christ, one of the most frustrating matches ive ever watched...

Harper 6

Taylor 7

Roz 8

Cacapa 7

Zoggy 8

Butt 7

Geremi 8

Smith 7

Milner 8

Owen 6

Viduka 5

Ameobi 5

Martins 8

Did you watch the game?

I was wondering about that too.. More like:

Harper 7

Taylor 7

Roz 7

Cacapa 7

Zoggy - 7

Butt 8 -

Geremi 7 -

Smith 6 -

Milner 7 -

Owen 8 -

Viduka 7 -

Ameobi 6 -

Martins 7 -

Ya slaggin my ratings off (which are all personal opinion by the way - nothing to say your right and im wrong or vice-versa) yet theres hardly any difference between us?

Harper 6 - 7

Taylor 7 - 7

Roz 8 - 7

Cacapa 7 - 7

Zoggy 8 - 7

Butt 7 - 8

Geremi 8 - 7

Smith 7 - 6

Milner 8 - 7

Owen 6 - 8

Viduka 5 - 7

Main difference is the striker, i scored lowly cos they had a bucket load of chances and couldnt put them away.

Harper pulled off a few fantastic saves (the Koumas freekick), but it annoys me when he takes ages to distribute the ball. Cacapa is the best defender we have had in a long while. Him and Rozehnal already seemed to have an understanding and dealt with Heskey extremely well. At times there might be a little indecision, but generally he dominates the air and is equally adept with the ball on the deck. N'Zogbia again offers a greater attacking service than defensive, but was superb at left back. Taylor (a little scare ofter the recent tragedies, but thankfully came through unscathed) can learn a lot from Cacapa and will only get better.

Butt was great as a midfield battler, but i can't see him getting us goals. He had a few opportunities and either missed, effort was too weak or passed the ball to another player. I was screaming for them to shoot! Viduka, Owen and Butt when they tried to walk it into the net. Geremi did ok, but he doesn't use his left foot at all and pulled out of a few challenges. Milner was ok, full of running, both forwards and backwards. Martins put in some superb crosses, Ameobi did his job, but i was a bit disappointed with Alan Smith. He just seems to be lacking an attacking presence at the minute.

Also, pleased to see the reaction Sibierski got when going off. Hard to say if Kilbane should have been sent off, but his first yellow card was deserved. A game dominated by Newcastle.

Harper 7

Taylor 7

Rozehnal 8

Cacapa 9

N'Zogbia 8

Geremi 6

Smith 6

Milner 7

Butt 7

Viduka 6

Owen 7

Subs

Ameobi 7

Martins 7

Guest Hodgson09

Heskey should have been sent off for sure today, fucking cunt. I might be the only one, but I watched the replay over and over again on foxtel IQ and Kilbane looked to purposefully nut Smith. The ball was over his head and he moved his head towards Smith and nutted him, I watched it like 50 times, it was a red card IMO. I wish he was kept on the field though, it is always difficult playing against teams with 10 men when it is 0-0.

Owen was onside, Brambles was a handball, and Martins cross was perfect.

We played well, unfortunately the ball just didn't want to go in, and when it did it was "offside".

The defense played very well, it is so good to see some real footballers in our defense, instead of those former pretenders.

Bramble had his one good game of the season, so next time we play them expect a couple of Bramble moments. Cannot wait until the next game, haven't felt like that for a while thats for sure.

It was also good to see the lads battle even when their lips got busted open by a certain cunt who looks like the guy out of Candyman. I thought Harps got knocked out for a while.

Heskey should have been sent off for sure today, f****** c***. I might be the only one, but I watched the replay over and over again on foxtel IQ and Kilbane looked to purposefully nut Smith. The ball was over his head and he moved his head towards Smith and nutted him, I watched it like 50 times, it was a red card IMO. I wish he was kept on the field though, it is always difficult playing against teams with 10 men when it is 0-0.

Owen was onside, Brambles was a handball, and Martins cross was perfect.

We played well, unfortunately the ball just didn't want to go in, and when it did it was "offside".

The defense played very well, it is so good to see some real footballers in our defense, instead of those former pretenders.

Bramble had his one good game of the season, so next time we play them expect a couple of Bramble moments. Cannot wait until the next game, haven't felt like that for a while thats for sure.

It was also good to see the lads battle even when their lips got busted open by a certain c*** who looks like the guy out of Candyman. I thought Harps got knocked out for a while.

:lol:

I hear if you say 'Heskey' five times in a row then your team will sign him... nobody better try it.

Is it 5 times? Don't say it anymore than once just to be sure, or we can just refer to him as "that c***"

Nah, I wouldn't want to use that term exclusively for him. Others deserve a piece of it.

Guest michaelfoster

Im suprised people are saying we played well, when really we were quite poor against a poor Wigan.

We did look good at the back especially Cacapa & Rozendahl, but lacked any spark in midfield. Smith & Butt were poor, Smith did nothing wide right and Butt kept losing the ball too easy, he did run alot but he made quite a few mistakes, i definitly wouldnt say he was 'solid' today. You cant really play Butt & Geremi in the same team as they are both defensive midfielders & they were both playing CM.  Taylor was alright (for those critisising Steve Bennett today, the best decision he made was to turn Taylor into the recovery position when he realised he was spark out)

I think Owen was poor today despite his goal, i think those giving him an 8 are very generous as he missed alot of chances he is still not match fit & looked knackered after an hour, Martins should of started with Owen on the bench. He fluffed an easy one on one with the keeper over the bar and missed a fair few chances. Viduka was annonymous. Harper didnt have much to do apart from  a great save from a freekick

Cant comment on the red card as it was far too sunny in the East Stand, i could hardly see most of the game.

Was nice that they introduced Beye before the match & also Sibierski got a good applause when he went off.

Heskey is a dirty tw@t as he kept kicking lumps out of everyone.

Finally a big shout out to the cute female paramedic in the East Stand.

Ratings

Harper 7

Taylor 7

Rozehnal 8

Cacapa 8

N'Zogbia 8

Geremi 7

Smith 6

Milner 7

Butt 6

Viduka 6

Owen 7 (would of been 6 if he hadnt scored the winner)

Subs

Ameobi 6

Martins 7

Female Paramedic 9

I think Owen was poor today despite his goal, i think those giving him an 8 are very generous as he missed alot of chances he is still not match fit & looked knackered after an hour, Martins should of started with Owen on the bench. He fluffed an easy one on one with the keeper over the bar and missed a fair few chances. Viduka was annonymous. Harper didnt have much to do apart from  a great save from a freekick

Didn't see the game so I can't really say, but I'd be very encouraged by the fact that Owen was getting himself into the right positions to get those chances. Ideally he'd score them, obviously, but that'll come in time.

Guest Hodgson09

Candyman will have to do, it just doesn't seem derogatory enough. Any suggestions for a nickname for Heskey, without using racial slurs?

Guest Hodgson09

Owen looked fine to me, was getting himself into the positions, he always looked like he was going to be the one to score and he did twice, one was ruled out is all. He should have done better with the lob, but I think he was just caught by surprise by the fortunate deflection.

I think everyone had a good game, but I do not believe Smith is being used correctly, is Big Sam using him just for the sake of it, would have preferred to see Enrique at LB, Zog on the left, Milner on the Right, Smith in the middle with Geremi and Butt on the bench. But I'm not the manager, so far so good Sam, keep up the good work.