Newcastle United 1-0 Wigan Athletic - 1/9/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

Guest nufc 4 life

The sending off was nowt and his first booking was nowt as well. Ref was shit, tbh.

I will say this: Smith was, yet again, mostly invisible. I glad I picked him to slag off this season, as it looks like he might actually be worthy.

This match was just like between eleven and midnight last night.

Expecting the inevitable..... then it looks like nothing is going to happen and then, right at the end.... BANG and its complete elation.

Even Paul Walsh on Soccer Saturday shouted like a Toon fan.

Has rounded off a cracking 24 hours. Just need Man U to finish it off tonight for us.

Guest Ridzuan

Kilbane was send off because he was crashing into Smith's head without looking at the ball I think and without hitting it as well.Anyway,I thought Heskey should be send off as well for the challenge against Harper.He should change his name to Husky.As for Viduka,I hope he is not seriously injured.

Thank fuck for that.

Really important to win today, very happy with 8 points from our first 4 games.

Does highlight how much we need to get either Emre or Barton fit and playing well very soon, as home games like this are going to be a struggle when teams sit back and invite us on to them.

Delighted though, especially as one of my best mates is a Wigan fan. :D

Just got back from the game.

I think it was a massive win, a draw against ten man wigan would have been awful and the doom merchants would have been at it until Derby. It was a frustrating match which we dominated and should have won comfortably.

Not quite sure why the Roz got the sponsors man of the match. Him and Cacapa played well enough but hardly had anything to do against a non existant Wigan attacking unit.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the sending off??  I was up with the Gods in level 7 and it just looked like a clash of heads from there.

Pretty much had a 3 yard run up, a two yard jump to headbutt Smith on the back of his head.

I'll still say that it was a bit harsh. I was really suprised when the red card was shown!

Did expect a  yellow not a red. But if you look at the motion of his header, I think he was trying to go for Smith. By the way Heskey is the most dirtiest player I've ever seen. First he slaps Butt accross the face with the back of his hand, swings his arm and tips Taylor upside down in the air, then slap/punches Harper.

Fucking brilliant game, we fully deserved the win and playes some fantastic football..

Our only problem was the teams poor finishing, Ameobi can't score if it was to safe his life, Owen is still lacking the sharpness, Allardyce should give them more finishing practise in training..we were full of wasted chances and thank fuck Owen did what he does best.

My Ratings:

Harper, 8: Some fantastic saves in the first half, look comfortable and good the whole game.

Taylor, 8: Really good peformence, helped the side both in the back and going forward, had a goal rightly disallowded and a brilliant header  hitting the crossbar

Cacapa,8: The experinced defender we needed for so long, looked calm and kept the ball well.

Rozenhal,7: Good solid peformence.

N'Zogbia, 8: really good going forward and impressive in the back, his corners today have been fucking immense.

Smith, 6: Fought for the ball well but he was played out of position as a right winger.

Geremi, 6: Looked confident and assured.

Butt, 7: Confident solid peformence from him, helped securing the back line and was a big threat going forward

Milner,7 : Worked really hard and him and N'Zogbia created a deadly left side in our team.

Viduka, 6: Was pretty decent, kept the ball well and provided our players with chances, had one or two chances himself but both got blocked by the Wigan defence.

Owen, 8: Lost alot of his pace but he was a major threat today, still lacks some sharpness and composure infront of goal but he did what we bought him for and scored the winning goal, lets hope with a few more games and practise he can return to his best.

Subs:

Ameobi,6: Worked hard but was short of finishing.

Martins,7: Used as a right winger/right sided forward and it was his cross for Owen that made the goal

Overall: Superb team peformence, our defence looked calm and assured, we created alot of chances and could've easily won with a bigger score..well done Big Sam.

I think it was a massive win, a draw against ten man wigan would have been awful and the doom merchants would have been at it until Derby. It was a frustrating match which we dominated and should have won comfortably.

Not quite sure why the Roz got the sponsors man of the match. Him and Cacapa played well enough but hardly had anything to do against a non existant Wigan attacking unit.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the sending off??  I was up with the Gods in level 7 and it just looked like a clash of heads from there.

Pretty much had a 3 yard run up, a two yard jump to headbutt Smith on the back of his head.

I'll still say that it was a bit harsh. I was really suprised when the red card was shown!

Did expect a  yellow not a red. But if you look at the motion of his header, I think he was trying to go for Smith.

It was a second yellow.

Guest Guinness

Very pleased we won and also very happy to see Owen get off the mark in the Premiership, hopefully we'll be seeing many more from him this season :).

Did expect a  yellow not a red. But if you look at the motion of his header, I think he was trying to go for Smith.

It was a second yellow.

Fair enough then.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Difficult for the ref to know weather or not the headbutt was intented but still suprised me that he got the balls to give him the second yellow for a challenge many referees would have ignored.

I dont think he did it on purpose because Kilbane has an aggresive style of play just like Smith and Butt, but im not complaining ;)

I bet the ruled out 'goals' (one of which should have apparently stood) are erased from history like they never happened i.e. they won't be shown on Match of the Day. Garth Crooks didn't like the sending off so you can be sure that will be heavily featured. We got the 3 points though!

Thank f*** for that.

Does highlight how much we need to get either Emre or Barton fit and playing well very soon, as home games like this are going to be a struggle when teams sit back and invite us on to them.

Is he lonely :(  ? 

8 pts from a possible 12 and we're in 5th atm?  :thup:  Good start to the season, can't wait till Sam gets the squad

playing to their potential.  Can't watch the game till the replay is on Setanta NA.  Bummer, that I already know the result.

Thank f*** for that.

Is he lonely :(  ? 

8 pts from a possible 12 and we're in 5th atm?  :thup:  Good start to the season, can't wait till Sam gets the squad

playing to their potential.  Can't watch the game till the replay is on Setanta NA.  Bummer, that I already know the result.

Nah, he's the life of the party tbh, typical British eccentric type. :lol:

GET THE FK IN!!

Made hard work of it today, so happy to get the win in the end, Martins did well to create the goal, Owen took it well.

Thought Enrique would have played though, still nice to see two top CB's though, even though I thought Titus played well for Wigan, we still are well shot when you see who we brought in.. :D

The sending off was nowt and his first booking was nowt as well. Ref was s***, tbh.

Agree, but it was Bennett after all - one of the unholy 3 - Riley, Bennett, and Uriah.

Guest newcastle4life
;D Relief looked like wigan would hang on important win keeps us high up the table and a needed goal for Owen hopefully more will follow, not sure about the red card have to watch the highlights.

best thing for me was that the defence looked solid.

yes wigan haven't got the best attack but Cacapa and Rozzer looked really good. More than anything, you can see Cacapa's experience with how he plays the ball etc.  with Beye, Faye and Enrique on board as well....absolute gold.

Well chuffed