Newcastle United 1-0 Wigan Athletic - 1/9/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

Guest nufc 4 life

allardyce very nearly cost us 2 points there.

alan smith normally plays through the middle,geremi has normally played wide either as a midfielder or full back,neither one is very creative however smith is more likely to follow in on secand balls. then when they go down to 10 men he insisits on keeping milner and n'zogbia on the same side instead of splitting them,maybe even going to 3 at the back, and having attacking impetus down both sides.

we look very solid at the back mind!

was bad finishing that almost cost us,  nothing to do with Big Sams tactics

bad finishing yes,to a point, we didn't create much,lots of hitting the penalty spot and hoping and feeding off poor defending.

It's just good actually seeing us use tactics, I think we've used them more so far this season than we have for years.  They might not be working all of the time but Allardyce is still seeing what his players can do, he'll learn what works best as he gets to see his players perform in more games.

Shows nerve to stick to your guns when the other team go down to ten men. Must be so tempting to sacrifice a defensive player for another forward, especially when you haven't broke the deadlock with nearly five minutes to go, and you've got a sub left. Butt was a liability though and wouldn't have been missed.

butt was making the forward runs (like when he first came here) geremi and smith were poor,how many balls did geremi play to n,zogbia ?

It's just good actually seeing us use tactics, I think we've used them more so far this season than we have for years.  They might not be working all of the time but Allardyce is still seeing what his players can do, he'll learn what works best as he gets to see his players perform in more games.

aye i'm hoping we are just settling,lots of new players and all that

Shows nerve to stick to your guns when the other team go down to ten men. Must be so tempting to sacrifice a defensive player for another forward, especially when you haven't broke the deadlock with nearly five minutes to go, and you've got a sub left. Butt was a liability though and wouldn't have been missed.

butt was making the forward runs (like when he first came here) geremi and smith were poor,how many balls did geremi play to n,zogbia ?

We always seemed to hesitate when playing it to Zoggy. always waiting until the initiative was gone.

Butt made those forward runs because presumably he was instructed to take on that role. He was actually less of a hindrance to us doing that, because he was losing possession with annoying regularity.

Agree with PM below. Milner didn't have the beating of Melchiot, so why flog a dead horse? Was it a coincidence we got our goal from the right-hand side? What if Milner had been producing the same crosses as Oba's for more of the game?

We always seemed to hesitate when playing it to Zoggy. always waiting until the initiative was gone.

Butt made those forward runs because presumably he was instructed to take on that role. He was actually less of a hindrance to us doing that, because he was losing possession with annoying regularity.

Agree with PM below. Milner didn't have the beating of Melchiot, so why flog a dead horse? Was it a coincidence we got our goal from the right-hand side? What if Milner had been producing the same crosses as Oba's for more of the game?

milner had the beating of melchiot but kept having to come back on to his right,yes it was probably no coincidence the goal came fro the right,think of milner being given that time and space for 45mins ? maybe we wouldn't have had to wait so long for the goal.

One thing I loved was them saying at half time "And you can now see the half time scores on the electronic boards by the side of the pitch." 

What about the people in the East Stand?

One thing I loved was them saying at half time "And you can now see the half time scores on the electronic boards by the side of the pitch." 

they will be double sided probably, if not...then they are fucked  :razz:

they will be double sided probably, if not...then they are fucked  :razz:

No scores on the boards for us east stand folks. TVs inside :(. I'm just thankful they gave us clocks.

On a different note. Are we trying to replicate Wigan with the daft half time entertainment? Surely that has to go.

The only time Milner had the better of Malchiot today was when Zoggy teamed up to help him.

I don't know about anyone else but Milner's insistence in turning the man 5 times instead of getting the cross in first time is really getting on my tits, it's as annoying as the spins that Parker used to do.

How is our strikers supposed to time their runs when they don't know if the ball will come in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th occasion?

martins' cross was sweet, and owen's finish very typical. one of our striker's pulling off something unexpected, and the other doing what he always has. perhaps with Martins' improved play down the flanks, creating space and bringing others into play, a owen-martins partnership isn't so impossible after all. could be like owen-anelka, or err, Johnson-Yakubu /kneejerk.

Guest SeattleToon

The goal was Kirkland's fault....he came off his line to go after the cross, thus leaving his near post exposed....never expected Owen to get his head on it....

I thought we played well overall...don't forget that it's pretty hard to break down a team that is putting 9 or 10 men behind the ball.

Martins needs to start ahead of Smithy. Goo grafter, but just dont see how he helps the team when we also have Butt and Geremi throwing their weight around in midfield. Doesnt create anything.

Did Oba join in the celebrations after the goal?Owen ran in his direction but didnt see Oba in the throng of players.

They celebrated separately with a few players surrounding each, then they went and gave each other a big hug like a pair of gaylords.

Did Oba join in the celebrations after the goal?Owen ran in his direction but didnt see Oba in the throng of players.

They celebrated separately with a few players surrounding each, then they went and gave each other a big hug like a pair of gaylords.

Aaaaaah bless!