Steve Harper

Guest SLK

He's done very well over a few games, but I think he showed last season why Given is better.

Last season means nothing! he looks like a different player and hes showing why hes playing at top level at the minute

Given will struggle with injuries all season probably aswell

It's easy to say that after a few good performances, though. "He's a new man, last season means nothing". It's only 4 games in, and over the course of last season I think he showed himself as a decent deputy but not worthy of taking the position permanently. Keep him in until Given is ready and unless he's really staking a claim then give it back to Given I say. I do think good form should be rewarded, but it's easy to forget how good Given is and how poor Harper was in a lot of games last season. There's no doubt in my mind as to who the better keeper is.

I agree with people that are saying Harper takes ages to kick the ball even if we are not ahead in score and  keep screaming to the screen for him to get the ball rolling...

I think people who give Shay more value than Harper are a bit unfair because if Harper had the same number of games for NUFC they would have been singing his name instead...Last year he had doggy few games because of his lack of first team football...Continuity is very important for players...

yeah, but dont you think there's a reason why Shay has played a lot more games?

Harper must play! So far this season he hasnt done anything wrong and has stopped some excellent strikes, its great to see Given having to fight for his place now  :cheesy:

I agree. Its only going to improve both their games if they now both know there's going to competing under Allardyce, rather than Shay just being 1st choice all the time no matter what (not that he's done anything that warrants being dropped)

Done very well the last few games and it's nice to see Allardyce rewarding him for this. However, Given is just on a different level of class.

Sorry but I don't see how Given is that better than Harper to say that he is "on a different level of class" !!!

Done very well the last few games and it's nice to see Allardyce rewarding him for this. However, Given is just on a different level of class.

Sorry but I don't see how Given is that better than Harper to say that he is "on a different level of class" !!!

Take up rugby?

He's done very well over a few games, but I think he showed last season why Given is better.

But I bet if Given wasn't playing that regularly and had he been in Harper's position Given would have made the same mistakes as Harper made last season after such a long long time away from first team football...Harper was just rusty and lacking match sharpness...He was same as Owen has been after coming back from lengthy time off...Lacking match sharpness which will cause you to not play to your abilities which brings me to the point that Harper has the same ability as Given...

Last season means nothing! he looks like a different player and hes showing why hes playing at top level at the minute

Given will struggle with injuries all season probably aswell

It's easy to say that after a few good performances, though. "He's a new man, last season means nothing". It's only 4 games in, and over the course of last season I think he showed himself as a decent deputy but not worthy of taking the position permanently. Keep him in until Given is ready and unless he's really staking a claim then give it back to Given I say. I do think good form should be rewarded, but it's easy to forget how good Given is and how poor Harper was in a lot of games last season. There's no doubt in my mind as to who the better keeper is.

^^^^ what the wise man says ;)

I agree with people that are saying Harper takes ages to kick the ball even if we are not ahead in score and  keep screaming to the screen for him to get the ball rolling...

I think people who give Shay more value than Harper are a bit unfair because if Harper had the same number of games for NUFC they would have been singing his name instead...Last year he had doggy few games because of his lack of first team football...Continuity is very important for players...

yeah, but dont you think there's a reason why Shay has played a lot more games?

I think because Given has threatened many times to walk out of the team and move somewhere else while Harper never kicked a fuss about how unlucky he has been...I remember during the early years of SBR when Given came out crying to the media that he should be played in all competitions including FA Cup games when at that time SBR was giving Shay the premiere league games while Harper was given the FA Cup games...

Harper might also be benefiting from playing behind a better defence this season.  Like all players, he needs games to produce a consistent standard.  Until last season, he had scarcely played for years.

Exactly and that is my point about why you need continuity to show your ability...Had Given been in the same situation, he would have made probably similar mistakes (he would have left NUFC to be honest after only one year...Loyalty points I give to Harper only...)

Guest Kenton Magpie

If Harper had any real ambition he would have packed his bags and upped sticks long ago instead of sitting in Shay's shadow

If Harper had any real ambition he would have packed his bags and upped sticks long ago instead of sitting in Shay's shadow

True...Shay had ambition and that is how he forced the managers to listen to him and take the number one jersey...If only Harper had balls he would now be playing for England instead of such losers like Robinson...

True...Shay had ambition and that is how he forced the managers to listen to him and take the number one jersey...If only Harper had balls he would now be playing for England instead of such losers like Robinson...

I went to that Spaniah property thing a while ago and this was one of the things Pedro mentioned, didnt name Harper directly but he did say could have been playing for England instead of warming the bench for Newcastle, kinda gave it away !

Harpers ambition might be to play regularly for Newcastle, how would packing his bags help him achieve that?

Guest optimistic nit

He was pretty dodge last season

he did make more mistakes, which i put down to match fitness, but his goals to shots ratio (goals conceded to shots against) was higher than givens at 6.67 (3rd in prem), whearas givens was 5.29, he also conceded a goal on average every 80 mins, compared to every 69 mins with given. we averaged 1.55 points with given in the team however, and 1.13 without him.

random stats that may mean nowt, but there you go ;)

Guest justin99.

I think because Given has threatened many times to walk out of the team and move somewhere else while Harper never kicked a fuss about how unlucky he has been...I remember during the early years of SBR when Given came out crying to the media that he should be played in all competitions including FA Cup games when at that time SBR was giving Shay the premiere league games while Harper was given the FA Cup games...

Sorry but I have never heard of any such actions by Given.

Guest optimistic nit

aye, you're talking rubbish there lyke. He's not as good as given either, although he has restored my belief in his goalkeeping ability somewhat after a terrible start last season.

Given is still our no.1, however Harper definitely deserves a first team run at the moment. Drop him now is fucking ridiculous.

Keep using Harper until he makes mistake, because so far he's done a very impressive job with the new defense line.

Have you forgotten the days when Harper used to have a fair number of appearances during the early SBR times ?

aye, you're talking rubbish there lyke. He's not as good as given either, although he has restored my belief in his goalkeeping ability somewhat after a terrible start last season.

Why isn't he as good as Given ? Given would have been as rusty as Harper was last year after being in exile from the first time football for years

Kirkland and James are englands most talented goalkeepers but James tends to throw in a howler every now and then and Kirkland is injury prone.

I think we may have to wait for Foster and Carson to gain experiance before we really have a great goalkeeper again.

As for Given and Harper, there both good but Seamus for me.